Rubicat Back on 40x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm thinking the 60 is ok in the rear? You plan to run a 60 up front also then.

What I can tell you is this. From my personal experience as well as those of my close friends all of who are running 40's, a high pinion 60 ring and pinion WILL fail at some point and time IF you play at the mall the way we do. This really is regardless of axle housing or make of the gears, you're just running on the weak side of it and there's only so much it can take. That being said, you can make a rear 60 last for a while so long as it's a full float setup. If you're in the market for one, I would highly recommend either the new Dynatrac XD60 or ProRock 80.

We do hope to get a ProRock 60 up front someday.

metalic

What I can tell you is this. From my personal experience as well as those of my close friends all of who are running 40's, a high pinion 60 ring and pinion WILL fail at some point and time IF you play at the mall the way we do. This really is regardless of axle housing or make of the gears, you're just running on the weak side of it and there's only so much it can take. That being said, you can make a rear 60 last for a while so long as it's a full float setup.

With this said I have a question.
I'm currently running a aftermarket 44 up front and factory rear with chromolys,ARB, 5:13's on 35's. My plan is to run 37's and was wondering if staying on the factory rear or if it's worth a semi float 60 upgrade.

Josh

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With this said I have a question.
I'm currently running a aftermarket 44 up front and factory rear with chromolys,ARB, 5:13's on 35's. My plan is to run 37's and was wondering if staying on the factory rear or if it's worth a semi float 60 upgrade.

Josh

Being that you're from IL, you should be fine with the factory rear and 5.13's. Speed more than anything will compromise your rear axle and I don't think you have much of that in your neck of the woods. Well, maybe Silver Lake, MI. Either way, I would just play with what you've got and upgrade as or if needed.

metalic

Being that you're from IL, you should be fine with the factory rear and 5.13's. Speed more than anything will compromise your rear axle and I don't think you have much of that in your neck of the woods. Well, maybe Silver Lake, MI. Either way, I would just play with what you've got and upgrade as or if needed.

I agree about the "play with what I have until I break" other than I have mine sold for what I have in building it if I want to upgrade. If I break it I have to start from scratch. With that in mind do you still feel the same way?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree about the "play with what I have until I break" other than I have mine sold for what I have in building it if I want to upgrade. If I break it I have to start from scratch. With that in mind do you still feel the same way?

Again, what I can tell you is that speed more than anything will bend your factory housing. If all you do is rock crawl, you should be fine there. What I can tell you about gears is that so long as you stick with 5.13 or lower, you can make them last as well. Your weakest point will be the axle flanges as they will still be prone to bending REGARDLESS of who make them but again, this will be a problem mostly associated with speed or squeezing through tight obstacles. Still, it would take replacing quite a few shafts with a bent flange to make it worth a 60 for you.

So that it isn't missed, all this is based on where you live and the kind of trails you run.

Top Bottom