Looking Like the Jeep JL Wrangler Will be Longer than the JK

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Hope the 8-speed truck tranny lives up to expectations 'cause the current Mercedes licensed JK 5-speed is seriously good. A little extra wheelbase probably won't hurt much off road. Jeep will give us the best they can within gummint BS. Or not. This is getting interesting.:yup:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I have the 8 speed in my RAM. It is a great trans. The gear spread is rediculous. With the extremely low 1st gear and extremely high 8th gear I think it would be great in a Jeep.

JamesWyatt

I'd be interested to learn about the new manual trans for the JL. There will be a new manual trans, right? he asks sheepishly.

I'd be interested to learn about the new manual trans for the JL. There will be a new manual trans, right? he asks sheepishly.

Since they will be sold overseas I can't see how they would leave that out. Overseas (real) drivers do not like autos so only having one will hurt sales too much :taunt: I can't imagine any more speeds for the manual though. Likely still looking at 6.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Since they will be sold overseas I can't see how they would leave that out. Overseas (real) drivers do not like autos so only having one will hurt sales too much :taunt: I can't imagine any more speeds for the manual though. Likely still looking at 6.

Actually the overseas wranglers run an even higher rate on automatics vs manuals than the US does. So those real drivers know which one is the right choice also :)

Actually the overseas wranglers run an even higher rate on automatics vs manuals than the US does. So those real drivers know which one is the right choice also :)

????? I won't question your info because I really don't know. I do know that the general population of people in the UK prefer manual transmissions and unless you want a restricted license you have to be able to drive one. In all my travels to the UK (so many I've lost count) I never once saw or was in an auto.

Wardell

To me, this is the important question, and it really hasn't been talked about formally (or if it has, I haven't seen any news on it yet). Personally, you can put the best auto transmission you want in a Jeep, but I still wouldn't buy it. If I wanted a vehicle that did all the work for me, I'd wait for one of those damn self driving cars (which probably wouldn't be able to drive itself off the pavement anyway, so pass).

As far as manuals in Europe goes, I've heard that they are still very prevalent, but the rate of auto sales are quickly catching up to North America. If you go to less developed parts of the world like Central and South America, Africa, or parts of Asia, manuals are still the most common and sought after. Mind you, other car brands aren't necessarily selling them the same vehicles intended for wealthier markets either.

I take all this with a grain of salt. In 1965, Playboy ran an article saying that the manual was an endangered species. 50 years later, people are still saying that. As long as there are enthusiasts who want to drive stick, there will be vehicles marketed to their interests. And lets face it, the Wrangler is designed primarily for off road enthusiasts, and plenty of us do prefer manuals. If they lose part of their core market by not offering a manual, they could also lose some of the allure that draws in the "I like to think I go off roading but only go from the mall to soccer practice" crowd that really drives sales. I can't really see them doing that, but I'm sure they have thought about it and asked themselves what kind of impact not offering a manual transmission will have.

As far as Eddie's original question goes, I say a few more inches on a two door is a good thing, provided the stock height gives comparable break over angles to the two door JK. That's really the biggest aspect hurt by a longer wheel base, although it can be fixed pretty easy by installing a lift kit and larger tires. Also, I think the size of a JKU seems a good balance between wheel base, cargo capacity and manoeuvrability on the trail. I really wouldn't want it any larger.

Last edited:

JamesWyatt

To me, this is the important question, and it really hasn't been talked about formally (or if it has, I haven't seen any news on it yet). Personally, you can put the best auto transmission you want in a Jeep, but I still wouldn't buy it. If I wanted a vehicle that did all the work for me, I'd wait for one of those damn self driving cars (which probably wouldn't be able to drive itself off the pavement anyway, so pass).

As far as manuals in Europe goes, I've heard that they are still very prevalent, but the rate of auto sales are quickly catching up to North America. If you go to less developed parts of the world like Central and South America, Africa, or parts of Asia, manuals are still the most common and sought after. Mind you, other car brands aren't necessarily selling them the same vehicles intended for wealthier markets either.

I take all this with a grain of salt. In 1965, Playboy ran an article saying that the manual was an endangered species. 50 years later, people are still saying that. As long as there are enthusiasts who want to drive stick, there will be vehicles marketed to their interests. And lets face it, the Wrangler is designed primarily for off road enthusiasts, and plenty of us do prefer manuals. If they lose part of their core market by not offering a manual, they could also lose some of the allure that draws in the "I like to think I go off roading but only go from the mall to soccer practice" crowd that really drives sales. I can't really see them doing that, but I'm sure they have thought about it and asked themselves what kind of impact not offering a manual transmission will have. ...

I'm nervous about them offering a manual because the 8-speed auto offerers a 9% increase in MPG http://www.gazettedubai.com/the-2018-jeep-wrangler-comes-with-plenty-of-shift/100442/ ---> so is there a manual trans that is comparable with the 8-speed auto for fuel economy?

Hopefully I'm hand-wringing over nothing and Jeep will still offer a manual.

jeeeep

Hooked
when I was at EJS last year I got a chance to talk to a marketing rep and a couple of engineers, we were discussing the extended wheelbase JKU they had and the extra room didn't take away from the looks so much but the extra room is something I could use.

Another thing I noticed was they had a 35" spare mounted underneath the body tucked up out of the way. Of course they never let on with any inside info but they did say if they had to get one quickly to market the extended model would be the easiest to manufacture.

zerorex

I definitely could use the extra room especially when carrying all my camping/hiking gear. If they mount the tire underneath wonder how that will impact the clearance when trying to get over obstacles. Eh im sure aftermarket vedors will address it if its an issue.

Top Bottom