These guys/gals amaze me!

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
LOL, I was just thinking to myself, why did I post this.... :doh: No one is changing my mind and I will not change anyone's. I kinda feel like an :asshat: in hindsight.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. That's what makes the world go around. It's all good.

Last edited:

Brent McCartney

I'm a union pipe fitter and I can tell you one thing. After 18 years of working with no Union, working for 3 companies in that time, the longest being for 15 years, I am glad I am a union member and thank them every chance I get.

Having a voice especially being that I have been through some of the worst bosses in the world I can't explain how nice it is to have a muzzle on the bosses that get off by destroying someone's career.

Are all unions good? Hell no. Look at that union that pushed GMC into bankruptcy. That's a bad union. I'm a union worker for a gas utility and every day I risk my life responding to gas leaks that can destroy a persons life in seconds. I'm glad my union fights to keep us as safe as they can and make sure we have the best safety gear.

Amen brother.

Hot94Z28

I think with the laws in place today and things like FMLA, unions are not as needed as before our plant just recently voted a union in and my personal opinion they suck. With our new contract we actually have less than before.

I think the union subject is just as bad as trying to talk about religion.

jesse3638

Hooked
I think with the laws in place today and things like FMLA, unions are not as needed as before our plant just recently voted a union in and my personal opinion they suck. With our new contract we actually have less than before.

I think the union subject is just as bad as trying to talk about religion.

^^^This. I'm going to say that unions, combined with society's sense of entitlement these days is a recipe for bad news. A person's work/productivity will be directly based off of their own work ethic. In most cases poor work ethic equals poor work, strong work ethic equals strong work. Both of these occur regardless of unions. Unions cause people with poor work ethic to feel its ok and do less and cause people with strong work ethic to get frustrated and do less. Just my :twocents:.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
^^^This. I'm going to say that unions, combined with society's sense of entitlement these days is a recipe for bad news. A person's work/productivity will be directly based off of their own work ethic. In most cases poor work ethic equals poor work, strong work ethic equals strong work. Both of these occur regardless of unions. Unions cause people with poor work ethic to feel its ok and do less and cause people with strong work ethic to get frustrated and do less. Just my :twocents:.

I don't know if you have children or not, but if you do tell your child's teacher at their next parent teacher conference they have poor work ethic. See how well that goes over.

I don't know if you have children or not, but if you do tell your child's teacher at their next parent teacher conference they have poor work ethic. See how well that goes over.

Had to respond to this one LOL. I have! ....and now teach my kid from home because their ethic was bleeding into my son. They said "you think you can do better". I said yes and but action to my words :yup:

We had a much better experience in a different district with our older son so im not teacher bashing. Just thought I would share. :)

jesse3638

Hooked

Never said unions only benefit those with poor work ethic. Although it seems typically those with poor work ethic file more grievances (My opinion based off of what I've seen). I do have a child and actually me ex was a teacher and my girlfriend is a teacher. Yes some teachers have poor work ethic, others put in all the extra time. The teacher's union discussion would need its own thread..;)..haha.

JK07

A few standout highlights from MY only direct work experience involving a (1) union:
Scenario: Salespeople unionized, paid hourly plus a commission for selling widgets with an associated contract service.
Experience 1: Employee work schedule required to be posted by a manager at 9:00am Monday, was not posted by 9:15am but manager had communicated it was almost completed and would be up in 5 min, grievance filed.
Experience 2: A hungry, sales-leading newer guy appropriately requested off for a future Saturday before a more tenured rep who sold less then average and frequently caused team disruption. The tenured guy given priority for time off request.
Experience 3: Sales rep dramatically underperforming peers received verbal coaching, extra training, another coaching, then finally documented coaching: grievance filed for "being singled out". The union rep that came in to discuss the situation with manager works for a competing company. He assured manager he had no one else's interests in mind other then the employee.
Experience 4: consistent, top selling rep who is well respected comes to sales manager to ask for a raise as a competitor has approached him offering more hourly money, manager has to tell rep his hourly rate is negotiated and he cannot provide a raise outside of the standard annual review process. Rep leaves for greener pastures.
Experience 5: Rep claims he lost company-owned widget, caught using it personally, confesses when confronted, terminated. Back at work weeks later because company didn't want to fight Union in court.

Those are my experiences. I'm sure they likely don't mirror the intent of or actual practice of many unions. At least that's my hope.

jesse3638

Hooked
A few standout highlights from MY only direct work experience involving a (1) union:
Scenario: Salespeople unionized, paid hourly plus a commission for selling widgets with an associated contract service.
Experience 1: Employee work schedule required to be posted by a manager at 9:00am Monday, was not posted by 9:15am but manager had communicated it was almost completed and would be up in 5 min, grievance filed.
Experience 2: A hungry, sales-leading newer guy appropriately requested off for a future Saturday before a more tenured rep who sold less then average and frequently caused team disruption. The tenured guy given priority for time off request.
Experience 3: Sales rep dramatically underperforming peers received verbal coaching, extra training, another coaching, then finally documented coaching: grievance filed for "being singled out". The union rep that came in to discuss the situation with manager works for a competing company. He assured manager he had no one else's interests in mind other then the employee.
Experience 4: consistent, top selling rep who is well respected comes to sales manager to ask for a raise as a competitor has approached him offering more hourly money, manager has to tell rep his hourly rate is negotiated and he cannot provide a raise outside of the standard annual review process. Rep leaves for greener pastures.
Experience 5: Rep claims he lost company-owned widget, caught using it personally, confesses when confronted, terminated. Back at work weeks later because company didn't want to fight Union in court.

Those are my experiences. I'm sure they likely don't mirror the intent of or actual practice of many unions. At least that's my hope.

^^^This^^^ I'm sure most have had similar experiences to this.

Top Bottom