When to use beadlock?

Guascone

Hello everybody!

I have some doubts and questions…
Now I have 33” 12.5 17” tires (Cooper discoverer stt) on stock rubicon wheels (17” -7.5” width ).
When I go offroad I deflate it around 21 PSI but I’m little afraid to break the beads…

1)According to you it make sense to use a beadlock 17” on 33”12.5 tires?
2)Which is the pressure limit on 17” 7.5” width under that is dangerous for the tires?
3)Steel beadlock VS aluminum beadlock pro&co

Here in Italy we have little experience on beadlock wheel…

Thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hello everybody!

I have some doubts and questions…
Now I have 33” 12.5 17” tires (Cooper discoverer stt) on stock rubicon wheels (17” -7.5” width ).
When I go offroad I deflate it around 21 PSI but I’m little afraid to break the beads…

2)Which is the pressure limit on 17” 7.5” width under that is dangerous for the tires?

Here in Italy we have little experience on beadlock wheel…

Thanks

1. No to me it doesn't make sense to run a beadlock on a 33" tire BUT then again I'm not sure what type of wheeling you do in Italy. That being said it could help.

2. You can go a little lower on your pressure currently safely. Prob go down to 12 psi. Anything lower and you stand a greater chance of popping the bead.

3. A lot of people here run ATX slabs or camber pros which is a steel wheel. Also another good choice is the method beadlocks and the Hutchinson rock monsters.

dyn0mitemat

1. No to me it doesn't make sense to run a beadlock on a 33" tire BUT then again I'm not sure what type of wheeling you do in Italy. That being said it could help.

2. You can go a little lower on your pressure currently safely. Prob go down to 12 psi. Anything lower and you stand a greater chance of popping the bead.

3. A lot of people here run ATX slabs or camber pros which is a steel wheel. Also another good choice is the method beadlocks and the Hutchinson rock monsters.

These slabs would weigh 100# if they were steel haha :bleh:

WJCO

Meme King
Just curious why a beadlock wouldn't be recommended/necessary for a 33 inch tire? I too am new to a lot of 4x4 product knowledge. When would a beadlock be ideal?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just curious why a beadlock wouldn't be recommended/necessary for a 33 inch tire? I too am new to a lot of 4x4 product knowledge. When would a beadlock be ideal?

As I said for me it doesn't make sense but depending on the wheeling you do it could help. It you do lots of off camber stuff in the mud where you sliding around and into banks they could help for those impacts. Or if your getting into some crazy rocky hill climbs where you need more traction they will allow you to drop your psi more.

This is my outlook on it but prob someone with more experience will chime in to add on to me or tell me I'm wrong lol

Tire size really doesn't change the advantages of running a bead-lock. Any tire size can be separated from a bead. However, a 37 on a 17" wheel is at greater risk than a 33 on a 17" wheel due to the added leverage. Contrary to what you may read I have had more trouble with separating beads in muddy or rutted trails over rocks. So much so, that I run much more pressure at the sacrifice of traction to avoid it when on these type of trails.
Every tire brand/size is a bit different. You will need to play with what works best for you. The 7.5" wheel and 12.50 tire width is already what I would call a "poor man's beadlock" Running a narrow wheel means you will likely need to air down a bit more to get good sidewall deflection. If you have a "D" tire, or worse an "E" tire you may have to go as low as 8-10 to get good tire flex. I know several people that run 15-18 on 33s. This might be a good place to start.
Steel are cheap and can be beat into shape if bent on the trail. They rust and are heavy as poo. Aluminium are generally lighter and will not rust. Many Aluminium wheels such as the ATX Slabs and Chamber 2's have a substantial ring that protects the bolts very well.

Hope this helps.

Guascone

Thanks a lot for the explanation!
Here in Italy some people told me that coupling 33” on 17” beadlock lose the their benefit in deflection due to the small shoulder on the tire and the risk is to damage the tire pinching between rocks and rim

Jiffy05

I'm pretty sure the ATX wheels are aluminum.

Edit: Im an idiot and didnt read past anything:doh:

Thanks a lot for the explanation!
Here in Italy some people told me that coupling 33” on 17” beadlock lose the their benefit in deflection due to the small shoulder on the tire and the risk is to damage the tire pinching between rocks and rim

I hadn't honestly considered the smaller shoulder not deflecting... I kinda' see this point but haven't personally seen it work this way in practice. I have no idea what the terrain is like over there so who knows :idontknow:

Guascone

In north of Italy we have a lot fo mud , usually we drive in the hill , forest or sometime on mountain but almost never on rocks like on WAL video...we don't drive fast on trail and sometime we make trial on the artificial track

noroad

In north of Italy we have a lot fo mud , usually we drive in the hill , forest or sometime on mountain but almost never on rocks like on WAL video...we don't drive fast on trail and sometime we make trial on the artificial track

Have you looked into the laws at all over there im not sure what they are, but most beadlocks are not DOT approved here, never mind the stricter laws over there.

jeeeep

Hooked
On a 33" tire the sidewall is generally not sufficient enough to allow flex with the beadlock ring on a wheel larger than 15
If you were running a 15" wheel the beadlock ring would be smaller so you could run a beadlock

Guascone

On a 33" tire the sidewall is generally not sufficient enough to allow flex with the beadlock ring on a wheel larger than 15
If you were running a 15" wheel the beadlock ring would be smaller so you could run a beadlock

Ok, you confirm what the guys told me...In this case I just need new 35" tires :)

Top Bottom