Bump Steer / DW Problems

jeeeep

Hooked
The weights are the sticky ones the other type would not fit between my calipers and the weight.

I have taken it to Les Schwab they put sticky weights on the inside in the middle of the rim they used like 49 ounces of weight.
I have also taken it to Bay fair tire and wheel they put the sticky ones on but put them on the inside flange not the center of the wheel.
I have herd Eddie say road force balance does anybody know where I can get that done in the bay area.

Thanks
Dean

you may call some of the local truck-stops with shops or similar.

a quick search also came up with you might do a further search, a quick search for bay area turned up w_w_w.alekshop.com

WJCO

Meme King
49 ounces? You do realize that's like 3 pounds? Let that sink in for a second. That doesn't sound right. Road force balancing is pretty cool and tons of shops do it now. But just for kicks, if you really want to take the tires out of the equation, rotate them front to rear and see if your DW is still present. And as Overlander suggested, have your toe angle checked.

Last edited:

koasta11

I will get the toe checked tomorrow and switch the tires.
That is what les schawb put on them they were in the center of the tire 49 ounces seemed like a lot to me too.

WJCO

Meme King
I've heard 1/8" toe in or an 1/8" toe out with vehicle being modified. And obviously the manufacturer will have their own recommendations. I'm running a WJ, and 1/8" toe in seems to be a conclusive result from other drivers. I'm sure the JK community here, too, will have some advice for you, especially with a heavily-modified rig.

koasta11

Thanks for the help guys I found a shop in Alameda that does road force balancing.
Pretty cool. I will also check the toe and let you know thanks for the help.

koasta11

Death Wobble finally Fixed

Well guys I finally got the death wobble fixed.

I had tried everything checked everything over and over again and torqued everything and nothing fixed it.

So I was going out of town wheeling up in Red Bluff and basically I called Red Label Automotive in Vacaville just by chance and talked to the owner to see if he had a steering stabilizer he said he had a brand new fox that he had on his 2016 JK that had 90 miles on it that he just built and wasn't quite finished he said he would sell me his and just get a new one.

So he pulls his off and switched it over to mine it bolted right up and in 30 minutes I was on my way.

All I can say is wow what a difference. I guess driving down the road with 40s and no stabilizer is just a little to much. I really put it to the test hitting potholes that were huge in the trail doing like 35 40 mph not even close to any death wobble what a relief :crazyeyes:

Had a good time up in Red Bluff on the Peligreen Jeepway the jeep just ate it up ready to add a PSC and hit some more challenging trails.

Thanks for the help.

WJCO

Meme King
So did you ever find out what was causing the DW first? Before installing the stabilizer? If not, it will return at some point. I've been down that road myself. It's a great feeling after putting that stabilizer on knowing that you don't have to cringe every time you hit a bump, but they just hide the real issue. Just saying.

koasta11

We're you running 40s without a stabilizer.

I am definitely not an expert but to me it just seem that 40s are just to much to run without a stabilizer I don't know how much they weigh but those boys are heavy.

koasta11

I had them road forced balanced 16 1/4 oz of weights on the one tire I checked.

The difficult part of balancing the tires is the brakes are so big it just barely clears the calipers I might have to grind down my calipers a little bit because I hear a little tic tic tic

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I had them road forced balanced 16 1/4 oz of weights on the one tire I checked.

The difficult part of balancing the tires is the brakes are so big it just barely clears the calipers I might have to grind down my calipers a little bit because I hear a little tic tic tic

Wtf do the brake calipers have to do with balancing your tires?

koasta11

Lol well they are so big you can barely get the tires balanced right.

You can barely see light between the 1/2 oz weights and the wheel. When I had them road forced balanced they needed to put weights on the center of the rim and also on the out side edge of the rim which is right under the calipers.

I looked at the brakes on my F350 8' bed crew cab and just laughed they are dinky compared to my jeep.

I am going to have to grind down my calipers a bit.

Top Bottom