Close

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Could a drag link be the problem? I noticed I'm hearing the same "clank" when the jeep is stationary and I move the wheel back and forth as I am when the actual death wobble is happening. Narrowed it down to the drag link. It also has about 2 inches of play when I move it up and down. Is that normal? Any input is helpful. I'm on my last straw I'm just gonna take it to the shop in a few weeks when I'm back from school if the drag link isn't the problem

Yes, the draglink could very well cause deathwobble. Any component in the front end that exhibits any type of "undesigned" movement could be contribute to death wobble.

The draglink should move in a twisting motion just like the tie rod since thy both have ball joints at the end of them.

Before you go messing with all of your steering components check and see if your track bar mountig holes are egged out at all.
    ~Zach

2010 2dr Wrangler Sport
    AEV 2.5 Coil Lift
    Evo Sliders, gussets, and control arm skids
    Spidertrax 1.75 Spacers
    35 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper

Well I replaced the old ball joints and as of today, no more Death Wobble.
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376778867.045319.jpg

I have driven over roads that would start the initial movement and all is smooth. I also checked with the pry bar under the tire and NO movement! 👍

Hope that was it! 😁

Hope it works out for you. And if not check your track bar mount holes front and rear frame and axle to make sure they arn't egged out a d make sure neither bar is loose.
    ~Zach

2010 2dr Wrangler Sport
    AEV 2.5 Coil Lift
    Spidertrax 1.75 Spacers
    35 Nitto Trail Grapplers

This is just the kind of great info I come here for, thanks!
    2011 JKU Stone White Rubicon
    Chazak ve Amatz! חֲזַ֖ק וֶאֱמָ֑ץ Be Strong & Courageous! Joshua 1:6
    "praesis ut prosis ne ut imperes"

Quote Originally Posted by bl17z90 View Post
    The draglink should move in a twisting motion just like the tie rod since thy both have ball joints at the end of them.

Before you go messing with all of your steering components check and see if your track bar mountig holes are egged out at all.
    Well now I feel stupid..I didn't know there were ball joints on each end. That has to be the problem because I can't find any other problem. The track bar is perfect and tight and no problem with the mounting holes. This is the only thing I can narrow it down to. That clank sound is coming from the lower end so I'm assuming the ball joint is blown. Gonna see what it costs to get some new ones and hopefully that'll do the job. Thanks for the help guys!

Well before I go too fast...is it even possible to just replace the drag link ball joints? Or do I need to buy a whole new drank link all together..if so I'm assuming I might as well get the EVO drank link flip kit? Is that a complete kit or is there anything else I would need to get my baby back on the road again? Sorry if these sound like newb questions, I'm learning something new everyday!

Edit: drag*

Actually ball joints is the wrong term i think. But your drag link or tie rod could be shot but that is not one of the more common causes of death wobble.
    ~Zach

2010 2dr Wrangler Sport
    AEV 2.5 Coil Lift
    Spidertrax 1.75 Spacers
    35 Nitto Trail Grapplers

-

Angry Problems DW

I have had my jeep to the shop many times , they cant find anything wrong .. I have had it to a club who members know of this problem , they too can find anything loose ..
    They did make some suggestions and they suggest to change the track bar & trailing arms ... I have a Rough country 3.5 lift 2.0 shocks ..

I replace trailing arms with so called better ones, (Skyjacker's) and track bars both front and rear (Skyjacker's) This did affect my DW now I get a shimmy at about 60 MPH to 63 mph, after that it goes away . . but at 75 plus if I hit a pot hole it goes to shaking (DW) . .

I have spent a lot of money trying to fix it .. I bought the jeep 2010 JK Rubi new and put the lift on at 5,000 mile (23,00 now) .. I have even sent it to dealer.. who tells me it all good and they cant find a problem with suspension . . They are a Mod friendly Jeep Dealer . .
    tires have been balance three times .. I have rip off weights once and had them do it again , still have DW ??

We cant figure it out .... any suggestion ....

I'm thinking of ripping it all out and selling lift !!!!!!