Snorkel? Or Snorkel!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I have been in deep water a few times and had water come over my hood. I was Lucky to not hydro lock it. I don't buy anything for looks, that's why I am trying to find a snorkel people have used successfully

Cool. I'm new to all this Jeeping stuff and have NEVER seen a trail here in America where a snorkel was actually "needed".

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Cool. I'm new to all this Jeeping stuff and have NEVER seen a trail here in America where a snorkel was actually "needed".

But haven't you heard, it's actually for dust and dust only comes up to hood height not the roof line.

I would propose avoiding hood-depth water crossings unless you just like destroying your vehicle for the hell of it.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Its funny how a thread on personal experience with snorkels turns in to a thread on how you don't need one. Guess some people have wheeled every trail in America.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But haven't you heard, it's actually for dust and dust only comes up to hood height not the roof line.

No kidding?? Man, I wonder if it'd help to keep dust out my 3.6L motor :crazyeyes:

Its funny how a thread on personal experience with snorkels turns in to a thread on how you don't need one. Guess some people have wheeled every trail in America.

LOL!! Like I said, I'm new to Jeeps and the most water I've ever driven through are small puddles after a light rain. That being said, I'd love to see some pics of the trails here in America that you've been on where a snorkel was needed. :yup:

JakeJK

No kidding?? Man, I wonder if it'd help to keep dust out my 3.6L motor :crazyeyes:

LOL!! Like I said, I'm new to Jeeps and the most water I've ever driven through are small puddles after a light rain. That being said, I'd love to see some pics of the trails here in America that you've been on where a snorkel was needed. :yup:

Is this considered part of a trail?

This isn't me I just googled it ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444328919.229835.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this considered part of a trail?

This isn't me I just googled it

Don't know. Could just be a pond that some moron decided to drive into way too fast. Of course, was this even in America and if the guy had driven through it slower like he should have, would he really have needed a snorkel? :idontknow:

WJCO

Meme King

water.jpg

Here the deepest around here as far as I know. No snorkel needed, but I do need to change my diff fluids now. (Peace of mind).

Grubbicon

There is one trail that people call "The Cove" in TN just outside of Chattanooga. For a stock Jeep I would believe it would require a snorkel considering it crosses the TN River multiple times and one is pretty deep (picture of me going through below). How ever I think a snorkel on a JK is pretty stupid. If you think about it Id assume most electronics would be fried if it got to the point of need it.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444331514.212738.jpg
This is also a picture of a fellow member on 37s going through.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444331622.626972.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is one trail that people call "The Cove" in TN just outside of Chattanooga. For a stock Jeep I would believe it would require a snorkel considering it crosses the TN River multiple times and one is pretty deep (picture of me going through below). How ever I think a snorkel on a JK is pretty stupid. If you think about it Id assume most electronics would be fried if it got to the point of need it.

This is also a picture of a fellow member on 37s going through.

Bad ass shots!! I've heard of this trail and it looks like fun.

I have seen guys get into really deep water to the point where some of the electrics on the Jeep failed. The craziest one was the wiring in the seat belts. That being said, a snorkel was still NOT needed.

Grubbicon

Bad ass shots!! I've heard of this trail and it looks like fun.

I have seen guys get into really deep water to the point where some of the electrics on the Jeep failed. The craziest one was the wiring in the seat belts. That being said, a snorkel was still NOT needed.

If you ever end up down this way please let me know. Id be love to meet you up there [emoji106] and ride through there with ya.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
If you didn't extend the breather tubes for your axle you might have gotten water into them. I'd look into a diff fluid change. If you have a manual and shifted, you could have gotten water into the trans.

Water crossings suck.

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely check that out and I'll extend the axle breather tubes regardless. I never intended on taking the rig through that deep of water but unfortunately it was necessary. I never really thought about it until I had to. Good lessons learned here! Thanks again Ty!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

This ^^^^^

Exactly! In the insurance field, anytime the waterline goes above the dash, we consider it a total loss. There is just too many things to go wrong once water creates electronic connections that were never meant to be.

This thread has been very helpful and while I never considered getting a snorkel, I now know how they could lead to bad decision making. Now I just snicker at any 4x4's I see sporting a snorkel.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

Chill out. A point was being made and you are missing it. Especially on JKs, water deep enough to actually require a snorkel is going to cause significant other problems. In addition, if you misjudge the flow of water at that depth, you could end up in seriously more trouble than just a hydrolocked motor.

What would not be funny would be to promote somebody making an uneducated purchase that results in them destroying their vehicle.

TwistedJK

I understand that not everyone makes water crossings or never goes into mud, but some of us do. A snorkel is not a fool proof plan. I just figured it's cheaper to replace some electrical components as opposed to sucking it into the engine block and dealing with that. I could be wrong though.

I've run the AEV snorkel on both my JK's now. Did I ever need it? Nope.. Too shit scared to take my Jeep into water that deep..

I use the ram scoop around town. It's great for collecting bugs in your air box.
On tours in the bush I put on the hamster bowl (precleaner). It catches plenty dust, but so does a stock paper filter I guess.

Before the 3.6 snorkel version came out the AEV ones were pretty affordable and a great "Why not" mod.
The new model seems a bit pricy to me.

I guess snorkel is one of those rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it kinda mod.

But personally after owning two I'd say get a snorkel as the cherry on top after you don't know what to mod next on your Jeep.

Top Bottom