WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So over the weekend I went on the Slaughterhouse trail with some others here and had some difficulty on a steep hill. H8ROADS said at one point he noticed my front drive shaft was spinning but not my front tires. Come to find out, the LSD carrier in these WJs are fluid actuated and can have issues getting air in the carrier on steep hills and not be able to actuate the LSD. That's exactly what happened as most of the time the 4x4 worked fine. I found out when I got home the 4low is definitely working correctly. So that means it's time for a locker! I don't really want to lock the 30 as I'm running a tiny pinion gear as it is and I would also have to re-set the gears again with the new carrier. So I think it's time for a new axle!

I didn't want to settle for less than a ProRock since a new axle is an expensive purchase. Do it once and do it right. And now after talking to Dynatrac, they said they think they can build an axle for a WJ. :rock: Previously I was told they probably couldn't because of the coil brackets not being available. They are available now, so I sent Dynatrac the part descriptions and specs and they think they can work with it. That takes a huge stress off of me having to build it myself which I really didn't want to do or settle for a cheaper axle. The only other WJ 44 available now is a JK Rubicon axle that's had modified brackets, still a good axle but not a ProRock.

Only catch now is coming up with the money! Hopefully soon though.

It sux to have to spend the $$, but that's awesome!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Would that really be an issue to worry about? I know a few WJers have done some custom 44 swaps and didn't remember that being mentioned. I can deal with spacers if needed. I'll definitely look into it.

It's not a huge issue especially on a fairly wide jeep like the WJ but it can cause some dynamic stability issues when running fast on dirt or sand. It also means you rear tyres aren't quite running in the wheel tracks of the front wheels making it harder to push through deep sand/snow etc.

I wouldn't be too worried the current Toyota 70series has a smaller rear track than front from the factory.

WJCO

Meme King
It's not a huge issue especially on a fairly wide jeep like the WJ but it can cause some dynamic stability issues when running fast on dirt or sand. It also means you rear tyres aren't quite running in the wheel tracks of the front wheels making it harder to push through deep sand/snow etc.

I wouldn't be too worried the current Toyota 70series has a smaller rear track than front from the factory.

Good to hear. I hope so. Dynatrac can build custom lengths, but I want to keep it the original length in case I break an axle shaft, I can acquire one easier then having to have another custom one made.

Very beefy, are you planning to weld on the tubes or use the clamps?

Just the clamps. I've only hit the thing a couple times. I'm not overly concerned with that area, just would rather hit steel than aluminum. Also that way if I have to move it to get the cover off, I can. The BTF cover I have is a real pain in the ass to get off as is without jacking up the aluminum mating surface.

xwaz

Just got in my rear diff skid plate from Mountain Vista Fabrication. I debated even getting one of these, but the rear 44a pumpkin is aluminum. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Took awhile to get here, but is beefy and looks like it is built well.

View attachment 209526

View attachment 209527

I got the exact same one just unpainted. I also got a chassis unlimited diff cover to hopefully add a little bit of stiffness to the soft and flexible housing with out adding a full truss.

Attachments

• 1466659706578.jpg
    1466659706578.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 190

WJCO

Meme King
I got the exact same one just unpainted. I also got a chassis unlimited diff cover to hopefully add a little bit of stiffness to the soft and flexible housing with out adding a full truss.

Cool. With the powder-coating only being 20 bucks, I just went ahead and did it. I don't want to get under there for touch-ups, lol.

WJCO

Meme King
Replaced an ABS module to clear a code today. Not a cool enough repair to take a picture. I will say that eBay has some good prices on junkyard parts with a warranty. Got a used module for 70 bucks as opposed to a non-lubed raping at the dealer for 600+.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Replaced an ABS module to clear a code today. Not a cool enough repair to take a picture. I will say that eBay has some good prices on junkyard parts with a warranty. Got a used module for 70 bucks as opposed to a non-lubed raping at the dealer for 600+.

That's awesome!
Glad you didn't get molested [emoji106]

BenJKWrangler15

Ok. So I'll start a build thread. This will start out as an 'already built' thread as most of the work is done already. Rather than caption each photo, I'll add a bunch of text here to begin with. Did a Zone 4" short arm lift, BFG MTs 255/75R17, roof rack, rough country winch mount, with Warn Zeon 8s, customized a generic grill guard to go around the winch mount, added Warn lights, DIY tire carrier with high lift mount, OME steering stabilizer in a beginner's attempt to fix DW (which I just now found was a seized axle side track bar bolt that never torqued down right, see the shiny bolt in the picture), Off road armor sliders (Built here in CO), DIY air intake (I did not want to run an open filter on the Jeep, but had to modify air system due to relocating washer bottle) The WJ washer bottles are in front of the LF tire, stupid design. Herculiner interior, isimple MP3 aux input with USB charging port, Full LED interior, new rear tail lights with 1500 lumen(claimed) reverse lights, buttload of tools in my spare tire well now that tire is outside vehicle, Custom Jeep logo'd 3rd brake light decal, And of course the WAYALIFE fender decals. I think that's all for now.

View attachment 168376 View attachment 168387 View attachment 168388 View attachment 168389 View attachment 168390 View attachment 168391 View attachment 168392 View attachment 168393 View attachment 168394 View attachment 168386 View attachment 168385 View attachment 168377 View attachment 168378 View attachment 168379 View attachment 168380 View attachment 168381 View attachment 168382 View attachment 168383 View attachment 168384 View attachment 168395

All those upgrade on a WJ makes this built even better as it is "unique" ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467177809.570576.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Replaced my rear axle ball joint today. Nothing too special. The old aftermarket one was only 900 miles old but failed unfortunately, pressed joint came out of plate. I went with Mopar this time, hope that doesn't happen again.

OLD:

DSC03824.jpg

DSC03825.jpg

NEW:

DSC03833.JPG

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Bet that was fun those things a shit to replace.

Being that it was replaced recently, the bolts weren't that bad. Did it on jack stands in 2 hours, including having to go to the store and get a new jack (my old one failed while stuck under the pumpkin).

Scary as shit when the joint broke. Coming down the mountains my rear axle was steering the Jeep.

xwaz

I remember you posting about a spacer for the rear sway bar to clear a after market diff cover. I just put a Chassis Unlimited cover on and I ran into the usual issue and was wondering what brand you had used for it.

Top Bottom