WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
Is what you're hearing an oscillating noise or is it constant?

It's almost like a rapid clicking but it doesn't sound very violent. It increases with speed. And it comes and goes only on accel or decel, and seems more common at lower speeds especially when coming to a stop. The weirdest thing is that it doesn't do it within the first couple miles of driving, almost like when something is cold it won't occur. But then after 2 miles of driving or so, it pops up either right when I accel or right when I decel. Seems like it stays more constant under deceleration until vehicle almost rolls to a stop. Almost sounds like something rubbing on something, but slightly metallic. I'll try to get an audio clip if I can. Other weird thing is if I roll down the window and stick my head out, can't hear it as much. Louder inside the jeep with windows up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I have to wonder if what you're hearing really is driveline related especially if it doesn't oscillate and if you don't feel it. I wonder if maybe your new arms are allowing a different noise to translate into the body.

WJCO

Meme King
Man, I have to wonder if what you're hearing really is driveline related especially if it doesn't oscillate and if you don't feel it. I wonder if maybe your new arms are allowing a different noise to translate into the body.

I definitely thought about that too.

WJCO

Meme King
New rear brakes on. And yes the coating on the rotors wears off quickly.

IMG_20170117_160530_143.jpg

0 miles:

IMG_20170117_160608_268.jpg

1 miles, maybe 5 stops:

IMG_20170117_160709_119.jpg

5 miles, maybe 20 stops:

IMG_20170117_160808_464.jpg

Definitely feels like the braking is more even. These things are really loud at first. The stuff on the pads is really coarse and aggressive at first. I actually thought something was dragging at first. It went away after about 10 stops.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm gonna copy you on that inverter install. What size wire did you run to the cargo area?

Notice as much dive with the new rear rotors?

WJCO

Meme King
Looks very nice!

Thanks, bro.

I'm gonna copy you on that inverter install. What size wire did you run to the cargo area?

No problem. I used 4 gauge jumper cables and cut the end off. I wanted to use 2 but got jipped. See posts 177 through 192. Post 235 shows the ground stud. Post 300 shows the positive stud. It's been fine. I've had the compressor running for like 15 minutes with no heat on the cables and circuit breaker doesn't pop.

Notice as much dive with the new rear rotors?

Much less. It's gotta be the pad material because the rotors are the same size.

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks, bro.

No problem. I used 4 gauge jumper cables and cut the end off. I wanted to use 2 but got jipped. See posts 177 through 192. Post 235 shows the ground stud. Post 300 shows the positive stud. It's been fine. I've had the compressor running for like 15 minutes with no heat on the cables and circuit breaker doesn't pop.

Much less. It's gotta be the pad material because the rotors are the same size.

Tanks!
I remember the wire ripoff now....

jamesrw30

Just keeps getting better. Always enjoy seeing your rig and the work you are doing. Keep up the good work sir. :thumb::rock:

WJCO

Meme King
Update. Removed the front driveshaft and test drove. Noise on deceleration is gone. However, the low speed rumble coming to a stop is still there. Got back home and greased the centering ball really good, installed the drive shaft in another position and re test drove. Noise there again. I know it's balanced because there are no vibrations. Tcase yoke and pinion yoke tight. The only thing I can think of is that the noise has been there and the new Johnny joint arms are transmitting the noise more. I still would love to know what the low speed rumble is. And it's also possible that both noises are one in the same and the drive shaft accentuates it.

GraniteCrystal

I hate mystery sounds. Mount a cell phone underneath and take video while driving? Did anything else change besides arms and axle recently? Tire rotation or balancing?

WJCO

Meme King
I hate mystery sounds. Mount a cell phone underneath and take video while driving? Did anything else change besides arms and axle recently? Tire rotation or balancing?

Nope. Nothing else. I'm about to just drive it 500 miles and see if it goes away.

WJCO

Meme King
Just for kicks, I checked the front diff fluid level today. It was full as I suspected it would be. Later today, I'm going to try jacking up one wheel at a time and spinning the tires just to see if I can produce any abnormal sounds.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just for kicks, I checked the front diff fluid level today. It was full as I suspected it would be. Later today, I'm going to try jacking up one wheel at a time and spinning the tires just to see if I can produce any abnormal sounds.

Hopefully that'll help track things down. Let us know.

longarmwj

My WJ makes tons of weird noises lol. My East Coast Gear Supply bolt in 60 whines under acceleration. I have a full warranty on gears though so if it grenades its covered but it will still be a pain in the ass to deal with.

If only had I known about pro rocks when I was swapping my rear end :doh:

WJCO

Meme King
My WJ makes tons of weird noises lol. My East Coast Gear Supply bolt in 60 whines under acceleration. I have a full warranty on gears though so if it grenades its covered but it will still be a pain in the ass to deal with.

If only had I known about pro rocks when I was swapping my rear end :doh:

Well, that makes me feel better. I have OCD with noises, my wife is the opposite. I always notice noises that she doesn't even here. My re-gear had some new noises on both axles for about a week when I did the re-gear last December, nothing real loud, but it was a different change than I was used to. So I'm hoping it's something similar with this one. I see that Dynatrac does make a D60 rear already for the WJ. I may look into that some day, we'll see. The current locker options for the 44a are limited and I'm not sure I'd want a locker in an aluminum pumpkin either, so it may be worth doing a swap. I noticed ECGS rear 44 and rear 60 are only 200 bucks apart, so 60 would be the way to go if I ever did that.

WJCO

Meme King
Spun the wheels and found nothing. At this point I'm just going to leave it. I did get my exhaust built though.

IMG_20170119_153708_888.jpg

IMG_20170119_153827_961.jpg

Top Bottom