A/C help

JKVADER

So my A/C just went out.... it will blow out hot air or the temp outside. I was wondering if some one could help me in the steps to check to get it to work again. Or point me in the direction of the post if we have one started on this already. Thanks for the help.:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did it just go out all of a sudden or has it slowly been getting worse? Can you see any oil around the compressor? If yes, you may just have a loose hard line or blown o-ring on it. If no, turn on your engine and turn your AC to full blast. As this is on, look at the front of your compressor to see if the clutch is engaging. If no, it's bad. If yes, could be you just need to top off your system. Need to know a few things from you before any really good guesses can be made. :cool:

WJCO

Meme King
1) Make sure your compressor clutch is engaging. If it is, you need to get a set of gauges and check refrigerant level. 2)If it's not, this could go in a couple directions. Either low level not allowing it to engage or proper level but you have an electrical issue not allowing power to the coil.

While you're there, look for obvious leaks around compressor and condensor. Any impact damage near your condensor? Also, did the issue go from normal cold air to hot air or has the AC gradually been getting warmer and now it is just plain warm?

WJCO

Meme King
Did it just go out all of a sudden or has it slowly been getting worse? Can you see any oil around the compressor? If yes, you may just have a loose hard line or blown o-ring on it. If no, turn on your engine and turn your AC to full blast. As this is on, look at the front of your compressor to see if the clutch is engaging. If no, it's bad. If yes, could be you just need to top off your system. Need to know a few things from you before any really good guesses can be made. :cool:

Ooops. Looks like we responded at the same time. Good thing we gave him the same advice though !

JKVADER

so when i first start up the jeep the clutch will spin for about 5 to 10 seconds and then turn off then start up again after about 15 seconds. shuts off again and wont spin anymore... i didnt notice any fluids leaking.. any idea?:thinking:

WJCO

Meme King
so when i first start up the jeep the clutch will spin for about 5 to 10 seconds and then turn off then start up again after about 15 seconds. shuts off again and wont spin anymore... i didnt notice any fluids leaking.. any idea?:thinking:

Sounds like low refrigerant. What you could do temporarily is force power to the clutch at all times via a jump box or by jumping your pressure switch. With your clutch constantly running, see if you get any cold air. I wouldn't do this for more than a minute or too, because if for some reason you have a high pressure problem (unlikely), this could cause some other issues. Now if you force power to the clutch and it still doesn't work, it's just a bad clutch. If it does stay engaged but AC doesn't blow cool, you have another issue, either low level or maybe even a compressor problem. Did the AC just randomly blow warm one day or was this gradually getting warmer?

JKVADER

Sounds like low refrigerant. What you could do temporarily is force power to the clutch at all times via a jump box or by jumping your pressure switch. With your clutch constantly running, see if you get any cold air. I wouldn't do this for more than a minute or too, because if for some reason you have a high pressure problem (unlikely), this could cause some other issues. Now if you force power to the clutch and it still doesn't work, it's just a bad clutch. If it does stay engaged but AC doesn't blow cool, you have another issue, either low level or maybe even a compressor problem. Did the AC just randomly blow warm one day or was this gradually getting warmer?

It just went out all at once. It will blow cold air for about 10 second after I start it up and then shut off and it will just stay hot after that.

Top Bottom