Need some diagnosis help (with pics, 911!!)

jeeeep

Hooked
as you've discovered, they installed the wrong tie-rod. if it were me I wouldn't take it back until they have the proper tie-rod in the shop to fix it.

I wouldn't let them grind anything away to try and Band-aid it as that tie rod may end up causing you more issues later on.

jknit

as you've discovered, they installed the wrong tie-rod. if it were me I wouldn't take it back until they have the proper tie-rod in the shop to fix it.

I wouldn't let them grind anything away to try and Band-aid it as that tie rod may end up causing you more issues later on.

Correct. I won't be taking it back until they have the correct tie Rod in house and are ready to make it right

They mentioned something about the synergy instructions not showing you had to remove the factory trackbar bracket before installing the synergy, and that they were going to trim some of the factory bracket off. If something isn't installed properly and is causing the rubbing, I don't want bandaids I want them to take it apart and fix it.

Okay, let's go back to this comment in your OP. As I replied to earlier. There was nothing that should've been cut off of the factory bracket. If there was they have some welding to do. The bolt-on Synergy bracket relies on the factory bracket for a large portion of the strength. Removing any part of it weakens an already vulnerable area.

A side comment: Nice guys or not, your installers have proven themselves to be under-skilled. If I had opened the box on this tie rod I would've known immediately that it was the wrong one. A simple Google search on "JK Synergy Tie Rod" will show tons of pictures to confirm. Still, they went ahead and installed it and sent you out the door with it being wrong and IMO dangerous. The desire to know who the installer is isn't to slam them (although deserving) but rather to inform and allow other people to avoid the same fate. :twocents:

jknit

Okay, let's go back to this comment in your OP. As I replied to earlier. There was nothing that should've been cut off of the factory bracket. If there was they have some welding to do. The bolt-on Synergy bracket relies on the factory bracket for a large portion of the strength. Removing any part of it weakens an already vulnerable area.

A side comment: Nice guys or not, your installers have proven themselves to be under-skilled. If I had opened the box on this tie rod I would've known immediately that it was the wrong one. A simple Google search on "JK Synergy Tie Rod" will show tons of pictures to confirm. Still, they went ahead and installed it and sent you out the door with it being wrong and IMO dangerous. The desire to know who the installer is isn't to slam them (although deserving) but rather to inform and allow other people to avoid the same fate. :twocents:

I agree, they should have known, and I am probably giving them too much wiggle room. I knew something wasn't right, just on the eyeball test before I realized it was grinding, when I climbed under at home to see it for the first time. I thought, "This Tie-rod, track bar area looks way too congested, oh well, my old jeep didnt have the synergy tie rod must just be because it is beefed up". They hadn't installed synergy before, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. What gets me is the lack of checks after the installs. I know jeeps make a lot of noise and we all have our annoyances about certain ones, but this isnt a little rattle or anything of the sort. It is blatant, clear as day, something is wrong type of a noise. The only reason I didnt notice it after I drove it off the lot was beacuse 1) I was excited and 2) I had my windows down blasting music. I will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt, as this was there first time through with synergy products. Installing the wrong part is one thing, but to not have tested it all out to see if there were any issues, thats pretty poor quality control which I expressed to them. Depending on how they handle this situation, at this point im honestly looking for a bit more than just getting the right tie-rod installed and things fixed, if it doesnt go as planned ill be happy to post up the name of the place. But so far, they have been great guys, the rest of the stuff has been great and I am going they can take this as a big smack over the back of the head.

jknit

UPDATE:...as of right now, with synergy also being involved in the process, it looks as though part of the issue was a quality control situation at synergy. So far what they have been able to uncover, is that a JK tie-rod made for a dana 60, which does come straight, may have been packaged in the incorrect box, including the incorrect part number and labels. None of this changes the face that some simple test drives by the installer would have remediated the issue before I got my jeep back...but this was the shops first synergy install, they have dealt mainly with AEV and Teraflex. The only point of reference the shop had were part numbers and order numbers to ensure the correct parts were received. Everything they had, pointed to the tie-rod being correct. I am returning the jeep Wednesday, they are setting me up with a free loaner and are keeping the jeep for a while to do a full inspection, installing the correct parts and fixing any paint damage etc that may have been caused by the incorrect tie-rod being installed. Will keep you guys posted with the final results. Thanks for all of your help last night and pictures sent over to help diagnose the issue

Mtb275

UPDATE:...as of right now, with synergy also being involved in the process, it looks as though part of the issue was a quality control situation at synergy. So far what they have been able to uncover, is that a JK tie-rod made for a dana 60, which does come straight, may have been packaged in the incorrect box, including the incorrect part number and labels. None of this changes the face that some simple test drives by the installer would have remediated the issue before I got my jeep back...but this was the shops first synergy install, they have dealt mainly with AEV and Teraflex. The only point of reference the shop had were part numbers and order numbers to ensure the correct parts were received. Everything they had, pointed to the tie-rod being correct. I am returning the jeep Wednesday, they are setting me up with a free loaner and are keeping the jeep for a while to do a full inspection, installing the correct parts and fixing any paint damage etc that may have been caused by the incorrect tie-rod being installed. Will keep you guys posted with the final results. Thanks for all of your help last night and pictures sent over to help diagnose the issue

I think it is stand up of you not to through the shop under the bus that did the install. I agree, they should have test drove it and not released the jeep to you until it was correct.

But it is not their fault the wrong part was delivered to them.

jknit

I think it is stand up of you not to through the shop under the bus that did the install. I agree, they should have test drove it and not released the jeep to you until it was correct.

But it is not their fault the wrong part was delivered to them.

Ya I may feel differently if they had been giving me pushback or trying to propose another option to fix it yaddah yaddah, but so far they've been very reasonable, haven't made me feel like a bad guy at all (which there should be no reason to) and are taking all of the proper steps to fix it so, I really can't see any reason to throw them under the bus. Anyone in any industry makes mistakes, sometimes really obvious ones, it's about how it's handled once the mistake is made and realized

jknit

UPDATE:

Picked her up today. It turns out the full story is is Synergy did in fact incorrectly box a D60 tie Rod in a D30 box. Looks great now, drives even better.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1445305128.931867.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
that's great, also nice of all involved not giving you shit and try to make you feel as if it were your fault .

Have fun :thumb:

Top Bottom