3.8 liter engine problems

STORM

As everyone knows the 3.8 is & remains littered with engine problems. Mine first blew @ 64k. Under the " lifetime drive train" they replaced the lower end. When it blew again @ 22k beyond they refused to do it again, sighting they did not like my record keeping...

It is the same problems that everyone else is having, bearings wearing way prematurely... Well we have, on my motor determined that " pinging " is why the bearings are wearing so quickly.

So in the analysis of why, we now believe the the source of the " pinging " is due to the contamination of the Mass Air Flow sensor, sending faulty signals to the computer. In return the computer is sending improper signals back to the injectors & creating " pinging " or the premature spark of the piston while it is still in the up stroke. This creates unique marks on the piston rod bearings. From the banging/premature firing of the cylinder. It also causes your piston rings to wear prematurely & may explain the oil consumption issues... Will advise on that.

What is the cause of the contamination of the Mass Air Flow Sensor?... Yep my aftermarket K&N cleanable air filter. Specifically, the oil mist from the filter contaminating the Mass Air Flow Sensor...

So it is going to be a full rebuild, crank machined to accommodate a lil better oiling, complete head rebuild, as surely the valves will also be effected by the " pinging " or poor fuel/air mixture. And the replacement of the Mass Air Flow Sensor & a Factory Paper Air Filter...

I think I am going to find out.. Sometimes the " Cool " thing, ain't such a Cool Thing!

WJCO

Meme King
As everyone knows the 3.8 is & remains littered with engine problems. Mine first blew @ 64k. Under the " lifetime drive train" they replaced the lower end. When it blew again @ 22k beyond they refused to do it again, sighting they did not like my record keeping...

It is the same problems that everyone else is having, bearings wearing way prematurely... Well we have, on my motor determined that " pinging " is why the bearings are wearing so quickly.

So in the analysis of why, we now believe the the source of the " pinging " is due to the contamination of the Mass Air Flow sensor, sending faulty signals to the computer. In return the computer is sending improper signals back to the injectors & creating " pinging " or the premature spark of the piston while it is still in the up stroke. This creates unique marks on the piston rod bearings. From the banging/premature firing of the cylinder. It also causes your piston rings to wear prematurely & may explain the oil consumption issues... Will advise on that.

What is the cause of the contamination of the Mass Air Flow Sensor?... Yep my aftermarket K&N cleanable air filter. Specifically, the oil mist from the filter contaminating the Mass Air Flow Sensor...

So it is going to be a full rebuild, crank machined to accommodate a lil better oiling, complete head rebuild, as surely the valves will also be effected by the " pinging " or poor fuel/air mixture. And the replacement of the Mass Air Flow Sensor & a Factory Paper Air Filter...

I think I am going to find out.. Sometimes the " Cool " thing, ain't such a Cool Thing!

Good info, but FYI, working in the warranty business, we have seen a ton of the Wrangler 3.8L engines with pre-mature bearing failures this year, however most of them were stock/oem. I still thinking there had to be something more going on with these bearings. Glad you tracked down the source of your pinging issues, but I'm still not sure why these bearings are wearing out so fast on vehicles with non-modified intake systems.

jeeeep

Hooked
I must be lucky, I have around 107k miles on mine with a CAI.

I didn't like the pinging when I bought it (all of 6 miles on it) so I changed out the coil to performance distributors Screamin' Demon and Livewires, I also use Superchips to run it at 93 octane when I can. not all states sell 93 so at times I have to tune it back to regular and still runs fine just doesn't have the kick of the performance tune.

Another part of my regular maintenance, I clean the throttle body and cai tube about every 15k miles...

I hope it holds out for many more miles yet... I'm still saving for that LS swap :thumb:

should also mention I use full synthetic every 6k miles and transmission service every 30k because I do drive it a lot, I figure if the transmission is happy the engine isn't working so hard.

STORM

Good info, but FYI, working in the warranty business, we have seen a ton of the Wrangler 3.8L engines with pre-mature bearing failures this year, however most of them were stock/oem. I still thinking there had to be something more going on with these bearings. Glad you tracked down the source of your pinging issues, but I'm still not sure why these bearings are wearing out so fast on vehicles with non-modified intake systems.

I just wish, friggin Chrysler would cop to the multitudes of problems with these motors & more importantly, due to it, honor their warranties & find the fixes... So people like us do not have to suffer through the multiple blow ups of our vehicles we purchased from them in good faith...

Top Bottom