The build/re-build of Gruff

Ddays

Hooked
Compressor Underseat Install

So now that I'm 100% completed from the accident last September(!) and the weather cooperated I spent the weekend installing my ARB compressor. I intended to mount it under the hood but the vacuum pump relocation kit I got from FMF moves the pump next to the brake reservoir and booster. I even bought the M.O.R.E. under hood mount bracket. But the more I thought about it I decided that I wanted the compressor in the passenger compartment out of the elements and wasn't crazy about it blocking access to the brake reservoir. So I bought the Carolina Metal Masters under seat mount instead.

comp 1.jpg

comp 2.jpg

comp 3.jpg

comp 4.jpg

I mounted the locker solenoids on the compressor frame by making a bracket from some aluminum
sheet scraps I had laying around. Nothing fancy, just cut on the band saw & drilled a few holes. Note that I just used a standard air
chuck instead of the ARB version. The 1/4" fittings threaded right it.

comp 5.jpg

comp 6.jpg

comp 7.jpg

comp 8.jpg

This is what it looks like from the side. Since the mount is bolted to the frame the compressor is stationary.
You don't have to worry about it slamming into something while moving the seat front or back.

comp 9.jpg

Seat all the way forward....

comp 10.jpg

And seat all the way back. Even though the solenoids sit fairly far forward with the seat back, I'm still going to install a kick panel
between the seat mounting brackets to keep the stray foot away from them

comp 11.jpg

I just used the ARB switches and cut three rectangular holes to mount them above the speaker.
comp 12.jpg

Bought a 25' coiled air hose from Home Depot as well.
comp12.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks! I am having the PSC system installed this weekend so once I get it back from there I will run the air lines and fab up a panel.
Thanks to Piginajeep for the recommendation on the install guy. I would have never found this guy without him. I could have done the mechanical
portion of the install but I don't weld so figured it'd be best to have someone that's done these before do this. Especially something so critical.
I've found one of the biggest issues with having a vehicle this far removed from stock is that some garages are afraid to work on the damn things...

Edit: And there are an awful lot of them that I WOULDN'T let work on my Jeep!

WJCO

Meme King
So now that I'm 100% completed from the accident last September(!) and the weather cooperated I spent the weekend installing my ARB compressor. I intended to mount it under the hood but the vacuum pump relocation kit I got from FMF moves the pump next to the brake reservoir and booster. I even bought the M.O.R.E. under hood mount bracket. But the more I thought about it I decided that I wanted the compressor in the passenger compartment out of the elements and wasn't crazy about it blocking access to the brake reservoir. So I bought the Carolina Metal Masters under seat mount instead.

Very nice.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Very nice write up on comp. Do you think me having a 2 door I can flip back to front to have access to lines?

Ddays

Hooked
Very nice write up on comp. Do you think me having a 2 door I can flip back to front to have access to lines?

Thanks bud!
Yep, you can mount the compressor the other way. Actually, I was going to mount mine reversed but wanted the wires towards the tunnel side. If you reversed yours you should be able to flip the seat with no issues.
Hinrichs had a post somewhere showing the mount (it was different from mine) he used to mount his under the seat - think it was on his 2 door as well but check with him to be sure.
I got mine from Carolina Metal Masters. If you have questions give em a call. I emailed them and the guy called me on my cell instead of sending an email...

Ddays

Hooked
So supposedly you got some new rims in......

:worthless:

LOL! First off I bow down to your emoji prowess: :bowdown:

Second, yeah, I just got in some badass Chamber Pros:

Chamber Pros.jpg

Was going to maybe paint with plastidip for the time being or I even looked into getting them powder coated to match those gold Machetes EVO1 ran at the Baja 1000. But once I got them out of the box I like the look of the naked aluminum so much that for now I'm just gonna treat with Eastwood Sharkhide and run bare. I still have to get tires ordered up but I haven't been able to make it out to a tire shop someone recommended I try out. Besides that, Gruff is still at a shop Piginajeep turned me on to that is installing my PSC ram system.
So hopefully that is done this week and I can get tires on next week or the week after. Can't wait!

Ddays

Hooked
Great looking rig! Love red and black :2thumbsup:

Thanks buddy!

Got quite a few things planned this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to actually accomplish them after tonight. It's Friday and I'm on my third Moscow Mule and no end in site.... :thumb:

So I just got Gruff back from getting my PSC system installed and I have a bunch of parts to finish up. Gotta finish hooking up my air lines to the lockers, I'm gonna trim my factory flares and reinstall them, hook up some side marker lights, and I have a set of EVO skids to install. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to a weekend in the garage!

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
So had my PSC system installed by an independent guy that has a great garage setup beside his house. Piginajeep turned me on to this guy and he's
a great find. Did a great job.

PSC 1.jpg

New steering box installed

ps box.jpg

New Pump

ps pump.jpg

Ram

ps ram.jpg

Only thing thats kinda shitty is how the reservoir gets jammed in the corner by the air box.
I am probably going to go with a CAI because changing the air filter is gonna be a major pain in the ass.
Also the intake line can't be fully fastened because its all jammed up. Doesn't really hurt anything but again, the CAI will
alleviate this problem

ps res.jpg

Two things I don't like about the synergy tie rod: One is the fact that they flop and the other is those damn spring clips that refuse to stay on the dust boots.
These anti-flop washers solve both of those issues and keep the rod inline so that it doesn't roll over and bind with the steering ram attached.

ps anti flop.jpg

Really happy with this system. I was worried how this was going to affect the street driving but the system has really tightened up the steering feel and responsiveness.
I didn't realize how much slop there was in the stock system. This has really improved the handling a bunch. Looking forward to using it off-road now...

WJCO

Meme King
Looks good. Eddie just redid his stock intake system to adapt to the steering system. Maybe he'll have some tips.

Ddays

Hooked
Air lines for lockers

Finally got the chance to run the air lines to my lockers today. After looking for a route for the front line for about 15 minutes I decided to just run it through the crossmember
under the radiator. I ran the lines through a piece of rubber hose I split and then wrapped with electrical tape so it wouldn't rub when it entered and exited the crossmember.

air line 2.jpg

Once it exited the crossmember I just ran it along the frame and up under the seat through a drain plug hole.

air line 1.jpg

Tested out and no leaks and both lockers actuated perfectly.

Benito

Caught the Bug
So had my PSC system installed by an independent guy that has a great garage setup beside his house. Piginajeep turned me on to this guy and he's
a great find. Did a great job.

...Ram

View attachment 190413

It looks like you have a PR44 w/ Reid knuckles correct? Is the PR44 with the raised trackbar bracket from dynatrac? I just received my pr44 with the raised trackbar bracket from dynatrac and my PSC kit and it looks like it's going to have some tight clearances with the knuckles and where axle side ram mount have to be. If this is your setup could you post a couple more pictures of the tabs on the trackbar bracket?

Ddays

Hooked
It looks like you have a PR44 w/ Reid knuckles correct? Is the PR44 with the raised trackbar bracket from dynatrac? I just received my pr44 with the raised trackbar bracket from dynatrac and my PSC kit and it looks like it's going to have some tight clearances with the knuckles and where axle side ram mount have to be. If this is your setup could you post a couple more pictures of the tabs on the trackbar bracket?

I apologize man - I didn't see your post until tonight - hopefully these help? If you are looking for something specific let me know!

ram 1.jpg
ram 2.jpg
ram 3.jpg
ram 4.jpg
ram 5.jpg
ram 6.jpg
ram 7.jpg

Top Bottom