The build/re-build of Gruff

Ddays

Hooked
So, just picked this today.

0321171941.jpg

0321171944.jpg

72* ain't happening round here for a while but maybe low 60's. I may attempt installing this this weekend. IDK. Is 4 hours really realistic?

Ddays

Hooked
Crank the heat up. Those tops are tighter than a ....

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've seen lots of posts saying that about new tops. Well, this is Western PA, so hoping for a sunny day here is useless. It only shines like 30 days a year here. :mad:
I can always rig up my torpedo heater to blow inside the Jeep. Had to do that in Winters when fastening my toneau on my old pickup.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've seen lots of posts saying that about new tops. Well, this is Western PA, so hoping for a sunny day here is useless. It only shines like 30 days a year here. :mad:
I can always rig up my torpedo heater to blow inside the Jeep. Had to do that in Winters when fastening my toneau on my old pickup.

That will help for sure. Hell I know sometimes in spring and fall when it gets down to the 50's after a warm day I sometimes have trout getting everything back together and that's with an already stretched top lol

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Shouldn't be too bad with it being a little colder, that being said however its still going to be tight, I know my top was. The install really isn't bad, just a little tedious with a few parts like getting all the screws into the top bows.

Ddays

Hooked
Busy weekend

Started off getting the maintenance stuff out of the way Saturday. First up was rad change. Been noticing several spots on the floor the past couple months. Not many pics. this is standard issue stuff. Surprisingly, I thought it was harder removing the old rad than it was putting the new one back in. And GraniteCrystal if you read this I DIDN'T have to remove my winch to remove the grille. Not sure why I didn't try harder the last time I had to remove it.

rad.jpg

Left the grill inserts off this time. getting kinda dingy & faded anyways. Time for a repaint & reinstall some other time.

rad 2.jpg

Also removed my spacers. Gonna give it a try this weekend & see how the clearances are. Taking them with me just in case ;)

spacers.jpg

Made a lift kit for the passenger seat from 2" round aluminum bar stock. My wife is 5' and can't see over the dash bar from the Rockhard cage I installed a few weeks ago. Says she feels like a little kid riding the Jeep anymore. These should help!

seat lift.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
New top

Weather was really nice this morning so I decided to tackle my new Bestop top install. Before I got started I took the real seats out so I could crawl around inside instead of climbing in & out of the Jeep and over the seats. Think I might leave them out for a while, or at least until I know I'll need them. Makes it kinda nice to get stuff in & out now.

top 1.jpg

top 2.jpg

First issue was the clearance of the front gutter rail. It hits the front knuckle of the Rockhard cage. Had to cut off some plastic to make room.

top 3.jpg

top 4.jpg

Next issue was a doozy. Bestop assembled this latch on the wrong side. The lever on the drivers side is the same as the one on the passenger side. It faces outwards instead of inwards, like the photo right below this one

top 5.jpg

top 6.jpg

Had to improvise and bend the damn thing to the right shape. It aint pretty but it works. Have to give Bestop a call tomorrow

top 7.jpg

I've seen this before but really? Cheap bastards can't paint the whole damn roll bar?

top 8.jpg

top 9.jpg

And done. Like Hinrichs said above, some of the stuff is tedious and attaching the top to the bows with the screws is a pain, but all in all, it's really not hard at all.

top 10.jpg

Coop

Caught the Bug
Looks really good Jerry! The missing roll bar paint has me curious. Have to check mine out, but I'm sure they are all done that way!

Ddays

Hooked
Looks great Jerry! I can't wait to get my soft top back on.

Lot's of work. Looks great!

Busy weekend, but nice work! Looking real good!

New top looks great :thumb:

Looks really good Jerry! The missing roll bar paint has me curious. Have to check mine out, but I'm sure they are all done that way!

Thanks Gents! Now I'm just looking forward to some decent weather to drop the top!

Coop - I thought about removing the roll bar padding but once you see how its not painted and how the last connection is just bolted on, well, it's not like its good looking or anything :icon_crazy:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Started off getting the maintenance stuff out of the way Saturday. First up was rad change. Been noticing several spots on the floor the past couple months. Not many pics. this is standard issue stuff. Surprisingly, I thought it was harder removing the old rad than it was putting the new one back in. And GraniteCrystal if you read this I DIDN'T have to remove my winch to remove the grille. Not sure why I didn't try harder the last time I had to remove it.

View attachment 250250

Left the grill inserts off this time. getting kinda dingy & faded anyways. Time for a repaint & reinstall some other time.

View attachment 250251

Also removed my spacers. Gonna give it a try this weekend & see how the clearances are. Taking them with me just in case ;)

View attachment 250252

Made a lift kit for the passenger seat from 2" round aluminum bar stock. My wife is 5' and can't see over the dash bar from the Rockhard cage I installed a few weeks ago. Says she feels like a little kid riding the Jeep anymore. These should help!

View attachment 250253

Awww how sweet to do that for the wifey!:thumb: Looking awesome Dawg!

Top Bottom