Possible axel swap from j10 is it worth it ?

Sokymike

Ok I picked up a j10 for dirt cheap. I wanted the 360 out of it for my cj7. I have a t18 and a 300 case in the jeep and I'd love full width axels. Now here's the oddball part that J10 also has a T 18 and a 300 case however the pumpkin on the rear axle sets off-center to the lift putting the rear driveshaft at about a 20° angle. I am assuming that originally the J10 was a Quadra track truck? If this is the case is it possible or plausible to convert the rear axle to run in my set up? I'm kind of putting the Jeep together low-budget so if I can get the full with upgrade out of the J10 Id definitely want to do it if I can do it cheap. aside from the rear end problem i'm pretty sure the rest of the axle swap is pretty straightforward move the leaf spring mounts and the shock mounts and rock on ?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I'd say it would be worth looking into. Research the axle itself to see if it's a solid performer and if it has any weak areas. If it seems like a decent axle then I would probably swap it. Another thing I would look at is where would the CJ leaf springs mount. I don't think the offset pumpkin would close enough to interfere with the perch but I would still look. Cool project.

Sokymike

The pumpkin will be extremely close but it will fit. They are 30 spline 44's with 6 lug one piece axels. So the only weak point I know of would be the drive line. How would I correct the angle ? It would be offset from the case by about 15 to 20 degrees. Wouldn't the compound angle of suspension lift and side shift cause the u joints to break under stress ?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
The axle obviously worked in the truck but my concern would be the new driveshaft length in the CJ. With a longer DS the offset is not a huge deal but with a short one the angles would start to become more extreme. I'm not sure what to do. My 8.8 swap was easy but that would get away from a cheap install and a different lug pattern. I'm interested in what you decide to do.

Sokymike

I saw a thread on another site about making your own axel tubes out of very heavy Dom tubing. I'm going to talk to my machine shop tomorrow and see if they can fab a new set of tubes to relocate the pumpkin and fit new axels. Worst case situation what would you think about a 2 piece DS to relieve the angles ? Maybe a 2 or 3 carrier set up similar to the ones on early 2000 1/2 ton long base Chevys ?

Sokymike

Also after some research and decoding the numbers this was originally a quadra track truck. It now has a t18 Borg Warner and a d300 case.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I don't think a two piece is the answer. My DS in my YJ can't be any longer than 30". Making new axle tubes also means new axle shafts. I can see the price of this project quickly jumping up. I like the ambition I just don't know if it's worth it. I can almost guarantee you that you would be able to sell those axles and drivetrain for a pretty penny. That might get you enough to get a good replacement axle with some left over. That's at least $1200 in my neck of the woods.

holliewood61

You could re tube the axle but it isnt very cost effective. Your best bet would be to keep the front and sell the rear, then track down one with a centered hogs head. You may be able to find a chevy 12 bolt in a similar width to stay 6 lug. Isuzu rodeos have 6 lug dana 44 rears but im not sure of the width on those

Sokymike

So after much deliberation I've decided to swap the axels out of my k5 into the cj. I'm going out of town for a coup weeks so everything gets put on pause till then.

holliewood61

You may want to double check which rear your k5 has. If its a 10 bolt your just pissing into the wind, the m30 you already have is much stronger. The front could be a dana 44 or a 10 bolt, either way its better than the dana 30 you currently have, but the dana 44 would be preferable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom