Jeep WK2 Suspension Systems

NW_RUBI

Hello All,

I am looking at buying a 2016 WK2 Limited 5.7L Hemi (or a 2016 JKUR. . . I just don't know), but I was curious to see if anyone has heard of any suspension systems which are in development. I know there are a few on the market, but mainly these are all spacer kits. I know there is a limitation on lift due to how the WK2 was designed (would love to hear a more technical explanation why), but didn't know if there was anything else in the works. I contacted King and they stated they have front coil-overs and rear 2.5 shocks in R&D right now, but that still leaves the need for the correct rear springs.

Just to make sure my intentions are clear. . . I am not trying to get the WK2 to be a rock crawler or anything. Simple trails, but would like to fit 33" tires with some pinch weld work. . . may 35" tires like the TrailHawk II but worried about the stress on the drive train.

As always, thanks for all the help!

WJCO

Meme King
I have a WJ not a WK so I'm not really familiar with the product knowledge there, but as to why the kits are limited is that the WK model did away with a solid front axle. So you have independent front suspension now and those are very difficult to lift high as you put major stress on the CV axles. A lot of the Chevy half ton trucks and suvs had a similar design, so almost all the kits include major drop brackets to drop down every thing in the front to keep the cv axle angles in tact. The difference is those vehicles have frames, the Jeep SUVs are unibody, so drop brackets aren't going to be as sturdy. The other issue you risk with going higher on AWDs is the drive line angles. Both the WJ and WK are difficult to modify, but even more so with the WK. But with money, a torch, and a welder, anything is possible.

JWT

I have a 2015 WK2 Overland with the hemi and the Offroad Adventure II package, special ordered from Jeep. While it is extremely capable for what it is (a unibody SUV with full independent front and rear suspension), and super comfy on highway, one reason I got my JK was because there were not a lot of modifications that I could do to the Grand. My guess is that the Trailhawk version Jeep itself displayed at Moab this year is about the best you could do on that platform. I believe what happened with that one is that they modified the air suspension to keep it in extra high mode all the time. I don't think that's anything that's commercially available at this point.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The issue on the wk2 is the suspension is built into the front and rear cradles. Essential the entire front subframe (engine mounts, engine, front diff, etc is all one big unit. So you cannot do like they do on 1/2 ton trucks. Something could likely be done but it would be very expensive and there isn't a ton of demand for someone to do it. I know someone released a lift for them last year but it didn't work on air suspension versions which is a lot of them. The trailhawk 2 from moab did have the air suspension raised to off road 2 mode permanently. Also some very serious cutting of the wheel well openings and one off flares to cover it

Anon155

Currently there is a big limitation on lift design for the WK2 like others have said. But there are options such as the Rocky Road 2" spacer lift, and the OME 2" suspension lift. The Rocky Road lift will run about 400 bucks, and the OME will be upwards of a 1,100 for all new struts/shocks and springs, and currently it is not compatible with the air ride system. You should be able to fit a 32-33" tire with some massaging of the pinch weld. Moving up to 35's on the other hand is a whole other ball game. The Trailhawk II had MAJOR rubbing issues with those 35's. Can it be done? Yes, but will take time and $$$. There is currently a WK2 being built for SEMA that will have a 6" lift and I believe 35s, and exterior roll cage. Thats all the info that has been released on it other than a few pics.

I currently own a WK with a 3" OME lift and 32's. In the next few months I will be moving up to a 6-7" lift to fit 37s. The lift/aftermarket scene for the WK is coming around, but has taken quite a LONG time to get there. In all honesty, depending on your needs/wants, a JK would probably be the better fit if you plan to off road your rig regularly. Most WK2 owners at this point are simply going for looks more than off road capability. I love my platform of Jeep and love showing people how capable they really can be, but if I had the money, I'd be driving a JK.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Currently there is a big limitation on lift design for the WK2 like others have said. But there are options such as the Rocky Road 2" spacer lift, and the OME 2" suspension lift. The Rocky Road lift will run about 400 bucks, and the OME will be upwards of a 1,100 for all new struts/shocks and springs, and currently it is not compatible with the air ride system. You should be able to fit a 32-33" tire with some massaging of the pinch weld. Moving up to 35's on the other hand is a whole other ball game. The Trailhawk II had MAJOR rubbing issues with those 35's. Can it be done? Yes, but will take time and $$$. There is currently a WK2 being built for SEMA that will have a 6" lift and I believe 35s, and exterior roll cage. Thats all the info that has been released on it other than a few pics.

I currently own a WK with a 3" OME lift and 32's. In the next few months I will be moving up to a 6-7" lift to fit 37s. The lift/aftermarket scene for the WK is coming around, but has taken quite a LONG time to get there. In all honesty, depending on your needs/wants, a JK would probably be the better fit if you plan to off road your rig regularly. Most WK2 owners at this point are simply going for looks more than off road capability. I love my platform of Jeep and love showing people how capable they really can be, but if I had the money, I'd be driving a JK.

You should seriously start a build thread here or post some pics. I think some of the guys here would be impressed. I saw some of your pics over on another forum. I know it's not a JK, but you've put some serious time into this Jeep. You did some sweet color accents on this thing.

Anon155

You should seriously start a build thread here or post some pics. I think some of the guys here would be impressed. I saw some of your pics over on another forum. I know it's not a JK, but you've put some serious time into this Jeep. You did some sweet color accents on this thing.

Thanks for the kind words man!! I have been meaning to make a build thread on here, just waiting for the right time (after my new lift goes on) to do it. Hopefully a few pics and list of build specs will suffice for now. I know what a lot of JK guys think of IFS and Grands in general. We are considered the black sheep of the family. But I do want to say I do off road trips regularly with several jeep groups, and my Jeep has the trail rash and dents to prove it, I wear the wayalife badge proudly :thumb:

Here's a list of the mod's I've done so far (This list is still growing by the day) I promised my gf I would stop spending 6 months ago.
That still has yet to happen....So why stop now right? This jeep thing has been hard on my wallet :cheesy:

-14% Tint and 5% Browl
-Infinity Dash Speakers
-Polk 6.5" DB Series Door Speakers
-10" Polk Sub in Custom Box
-Alpine 500 Watt Mono Amp
-Weather Tech Floor Mats
-New Rotors and Ceramic Pads
-Painted Brake Calipers
-Custom Retrofitted Projector Headlights (5000K HID)
-HIR 9011 Fog Light Bulbs
-LED Interior Lighting
-LED Cargo Lighting
-7W Cree Reverse Lights
-Rola Roof Rack
-32" Tough Light Black Series LED Bar
-Rigid Industries Dually D2 diffused Back-Up Lights
-Custom Cubby Hole Switch Panel
-Otrattw Switches
-SRT-8 Pedals
-VW Style Flip Key
-Shorty Antenna
-Cabin Air Filter
-Debadged Jeep Emblems
-Plasti-Dipped Rear Emblems
-Plasti Dipped "Grand Cherokee" Side Logo
-Custom ORT Badges
-ORT Stripes
-Red Logo HEMI Side Badges
-Commander Shift Knob
-Custom Shift Knob Badge
-Jeep Emblem on Dash Cover
-Paracord Steering Wheel
-Paracord Side Grab Handles
-Paracord "Oh-****!" Rear Grab Handles
-Painted Mirror Covers
-OME HD Lift
-Bed-lined Rubicon Wheels
-255/75r17 BFG Mud Terrain KM1 Tires
-Full Size Spare
-Rear Hitch Mod
-Pinch Weld Mod
-Rear Fender Mod
-Superchips Flashpaq
-AFE Stage 2 Intake
-Modern Muscle 85mm Throttle Body
-Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler and 3" Exhaust
-Billet Technology Catch Can
-4xGuard Front Skid
-4xGuard Belly Skid #5
-4xGuard Rear Skid
-Stock Steel Front Skid
-Stock Transfer Case Skid
-Aspen Creek Transfer Case Adapter
-Stock Tow Hooks
-Rear Hitch D-Ring
-Custom Hemi Engine Cover
-Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
-Custom Jeep WK Ottratw Switches
-Hitch D-ring
-ARB Snatch Strap and Tree Hugger
-Rugged Ridge Floor Liners
-Painted Wheels (Round 2)
-20" Osram LED Light Bar
-Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio
-3' Firestick Antenna (Red)
-Steel Armadillo Antenna Mount
-Front Bumper Trim

New lift items sitting in boxes:
-4" Superlift
-Bilstein 5100 12" rear shocks
-JBA Front upper control arms
-JBA 8" rear springs
-Rusty's adjsutable upper and lower control arms (to move the rear axle back 2")
-Rusty's adjustable track bar

On the way Purchases:
-37" tires (can't decide between Mastercraft MXT, Toyo Open Country RT, or Nitto Trails)
-15lb CO2 Tank
-Carolina Driveline Rear driveshaft
-Hidden Winch Mount
-Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 Winch

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

IMG_4304.jpg

IMG_4269.JPG

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

Anon155

Looks good man. Did you get rid of the red wheel accents?

Yeah I did lol. I was just experimenting with red plasti-dip at the time, and eventually all the florida mud made it peel pretty bad. Wasn't worth keeping on there if I had to keep redoing it every couple weeks. Don't worry though, I'll have plenty of new red accents when the new lift is on!

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_9574.jpg

ALLUDC

New guy jumpin in....
Had a 2012 Hemi QDII, RRO Leveled on 32s and a bunch more.

Now Im driving a 2015 with a 3" lift and 33s. 3" comes via a 2.5"RRO kit, + A set of Bilstein 5100s. Adjust able up front, fixed in rear. Fronts set to .5" only as going any further beyond 3" total puts the CV angle at just too much of an extreme. I am happy with where it is now though. I started with just the rro + oem shocks, but had a bad time with the nivomat load leveling rears ( 1st set went bad very quick) and my fronts were just kinda garbage anyway so the Bilsteins were an easy plan.

Its sitting on 33x12.50-20 Atturo Trailblade XT tires. I also have a Magnaflow Catback, Airaid intake, Yakima rails, Curt rack (soon to be Gobi), some Vinyl wrapping, 20x8.5 Black Rhino wheels & more. Its ever evolving. You can see it at: Edited.

Steel Armadillo Skids & Mopar Sliders are en route.

12314666_10153351671982582_7395870739244931921_o_zps45x7s27b.jpg

12339372_10153351672187582_7513205044507220451_o_zpszmuci1ml.jpg

24003955996_339e6bded4_o_zpsryh3jgmr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
New guy jumpin in....

Now Im driving a 2015 with a 3" lift and 33s. 3" comes via a 2.5"RRO kit, + A set of Bilstein 5100s. Adjust able up front, fixed in rear. Fronts set to .5" only as going any further beyond 3" total puts the CV angle at just too much of an extreme. I am happy with where it is now though. I started with just the rro + oem shocks, but had a bad time with the nivomat load leveling rears ( 1st set went bad very quick) and my fronts were just kinda garbage anyway so the Bilsteins were an easy plan.

Its sitting on 33x12.50-20 Atturo Trailblade XT tires. I also have a Magnaflow Catback, Airaid intake, Yakima rails, Curt rack (soon to be Gobi), some Vinyl wrapping, 20x8.5 Black Rhino wheels & more. Its ever evolving. You can see it at edited

Steel Armadillo Skids & Mopar Sliders are en route.

12314666_10153351671982582_7395870739244931921_o_zps45x7s27b.jpg

12339372_10153351672187582_7513205044507220451_o_zpszmuci1ml.jpg

Looks good. Welcome to WAL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucas J

Found it

http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-lift-kit.html

Dont know anything about company or if they are any good but it is a 2.5" lift. They sell armor, winch brackets, etc for the wk2 also.

New guy here. I figured I would throw my 2 cents in considering its about the only place my 2 cents is worth anything. I for one will vouch for RRO. I ran their WK lift for years. I know in the past, some people have had issues with their customer service, I was not one. They always took good care of me. They were the first company to offer aftermarket support to the WK/WK2 community. I can say the products I bought from them where bullet-proof and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a kit from them for my wife's WK2.

Thanks for the kind words man!! I have been meaning to make a build thread on here, just waiting for the right time (after my new lift goes on) to do it. Hopefully a few pics and list of build specs will suffice for now. I know what a lot of JK guys think of IFS and Grands in general. We are considered the black sheep of the family. But I do want to say I do off road trips regularly with several jeep groups, and my Jeep has the trail rash and dents to prove it, I wear the wayalife badge proudly :thumb:

View attachment 172220

Very Nice DubK!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
New guy jumpin in....

Its sitting on 33x12.50-20 Atturo Trailblade XT tires. I also have a Magnaflow Catback, Airaid intake, Yakima rails, Curt rack (soon to be Gobi), some Vinyl wrapping, 20x8.5 Black Rhino wheels & more. Its ever evolving. You can see it at www & at https:///

Steel Armadillo Skids & Mopar Sliders are ]

For anyone still curious:
https:// Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415]WAYALIFE mobile app

Any reason why we got 2 dips-hits with 1 post each trying to redirect traffic to the same Facebook page?

You 2 dating?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom