Need Some Motor Help

98tjsherry

Alright so currently i'm running a 98 Wrangler with the 4 cylinder. It has a 6in lift and 35s so its way under powered. Would a 6 Cylinder motor out of a late 90s grand cherokee mount up to the frame and the stock 5 speed tranny without having to change much? Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 9.06.21 AM.png 20151024_140309.jpg

holliewood61

Stock 4 banger came with 4.10's. You would need to change the engine mounts, engine wiring harness, and computer. The stock trans and t-case will not work either as the ax5 behind the 4 cylinder has a different input than the ax15 that came behind the 6 cylinders. The t-case input is different as well. If you are serious about this swap the best thing to do would be to find a complete donor vehicle. A wrecked or rusted out 5 speed xj would probably be the most economical.

WJCO

Meme King
I'd look at re-gearing, would be a lot cheaper than a swap, IMO the 4.0 has a lot of room for power but if you're still running the stock gears I'd start there.

I think he said he has a 4 cyl. 2.5L ? Still re-gearing would be worth looking at IMO.

geberhard

Douchebag
Seriously start by dropping some weight form the Jeep, the front bumper with teh stinger alone is probably close to a good hundred pounds.

An engine swap on a 4 banger is not really cost effective (i.e by the time you are all said and done you could have sold the TJ and bought a 6 banger TJ), but still doable on a budget. If you are going to put the funds and effort might as well go LS\V8 power as best bang for buck, as cost wise you will be hitting similarities and all said and done you will be shy a couple grand from doing a used LS swap. Of course you will then want to consider other upgrades as other stuff will start breaking.

Check out Stu's swap 9it is a good how to, on how he did it on his 4 banger.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine.asp

Good luck!

WJCO

Meme King
Seriously start by dropping some weight form the Jeep, the front bumper with teh stinger alone is probably close to a good hundred pounds.

An engine swap on a 4 banger is not really cost effective (i.e by the time you are all said and done you could have sold the TJ and bought a 6 banger TJ), but still doable on a budget. If you are going to put the funds and effort might as well go LS\V8 power as best bang for buck, as cost wise you will be hitting similarities and all said and done you will be shy a couple grand from doing a used LS swap. Of course you will then want to consider other upgrades as other stuff will start breaking.

Check out Stu's swap 9it is a good how to, on how he did it on his 4 banger.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine.asp

Good luck!

Welcome back.

Top Bottom