Off-road trailers, what size is a good size?

Thomas21

Im thinking about building an off-road trailer that I can tow behind my 2011 JKU, I want to have as much room to hold supplies, but I don't want it to destroy my ability to wheel on small trails with tight turns. Does anyone know a happy median?

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Im thinking about building an off-road trailer that I can tow behind my 2011 JKU, I want to have as much room to hold supplies, but I don't want it to destroy my ability to wheel on small trails with tight turns. Does anyone know a happy median?

Not too sure on size but i plan on building my own one day also. I see people use the DIY trailer kits a lot. They're fairly cheap too. Ive also seen people use old military trailers

my_jk

Try looking at some old military trailers for sizes ideas. I would recommend having the axels be the same width or a little bit smaller than your Jeep and the length of the box being 4' to 6' long. Also try designing it to be compatible with the same size tires and bolt pattern your Jeep is running so that you will have an extra spare. :thumb:

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think the new smittybuilt trailer looks like a perfect size. Since your building your own maybe try and get there dimensions for length and maybe width then build your own design from there. Or as my_jk said try and find an old military trailer and covert it into a trail trailer. There have been many that have done it and it comes out awesome

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
This is the trailer I just got rid of. It was built off of an M416 military trailer. I retained the pintle and Lunette to ensure flexibility while Offroad. It towed great, had room for everything we needed and wanted to bring along. I wrote the dimensions down to price out shipping and will post them here as soon as I find them.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447765358.895261.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447765382.405863.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447765411.672093.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447765437.818012.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447765507.919392.jpg

Skid_Kid

The old military trailers are a great starting point. Being your in TX, you might want to Google if you are near Military auction point. Might be able to get one cheap. :thumb:

Last edited:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
The old military trailers are a great starting point. Being your in TX, you might want to Google if you are near Military auction point. Might be able to get one cheap. :thumb:

Check craigslist also. They're always for sale by me

BertaNation

There was a guy on c-list that was selling m1101 for around. $ 750. In El paso

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Highly doubt his Craigslist search in Texas will bring up what you are selling in New Jersey.... Just sayin......

I never said they would bring up the ones for sale by me. I was implying that they are always for sale by me so I'm sure there are a few by him.... Just sayin....

tdougherty81

Here's mine. Bought online surplus auction. Plan on building a rack for the roof top tent.

Attachments

• 1447824019455.jpg
    1447824019455.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 267

Nbraun

Look on Craigslist for a m100 or m416. They are great! I put 35's on it that matched my jk and carry an adapter so you will only need to carry 1 spare between the rig and trailer. I picked up a restored m100 with the Pintel setup and the hand brake. Mounted a big ammo can on the front to carry some easily accessible trail supplies. Flipped the axle. The trailer has gone through the Rubicon three years in a row without a problem. I even took a wrong turn and ended up on Old Sluice and the trailer made it through. The old military trailers are amazing.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Check this out. pretty good dimensions here:

599497_6262_0_0002.jpg

The Trailer can be viewed here

Attachments

• 599497_6262_233_0001.jpg
    599497_6262_233_0001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 118

Journeyman

I would think the m101's would be bigger than I would want to tow on the trail. I believe they were made to match the width of the H1.
I tow a 416 replica on some excursion. It's a great width. Always tracking behind the jeep, not dictating how I approach a corner on the trail.
Jku's on 35's and trailers on 32's

Top Bottom