JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

RebelconJk

I have the Garmin Etrex20 for backpacking. It's not one you can mount in the vehicle like an in-dash, but I use it on the Jeep trails in my hand when I need to. What I like about it is that you can download satellite images to it and it's a good priced unit. The only thing I don't like is that the screen is really small.

My buddy has the Garmin Etrex20, he likes it to. He also doesn't like the size of the screen too.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
has anyone tried the JK1001 by insane audio? This is the Nav unit I have my eye on... Curious what others think of it though, as it does come at premium.

RebelconJk

It's actually has a big enough screen to see while you're driving

Yeah, i saw that. It looks like a really nice unit. I'm guessing they make a window mount kit for it? Do you have to download trail/ fire road maps to it, or are they already in the system?

sapco76

It comes with 100k topo which is good but 24k is routable and a better quality map. I use a ram mount cradle with a Carolina metal masters ball mount

Speeddmn

I have a eTrex20 I use for hunting. It works for me, very simple to use. The small screen does suck tho. Cabelas has the Oregon 600 on sale for basically the same amount and it is touch screen.

Petromotion

has anyone tried the JK1001 by insane audio? This is the Nav unit I have my eye on... Curious what others think of it though, as it does come at premium.

I have it and the built in Nav is ok for road use, not a lot of POIs and have to pay for updates. good enough to get you where you need if you have an address. I use Google maps and a WiFi hotspot for normal GPS. For off-road I use back country navigator. Works great I can save runs and download all of the imagery before I leave the house.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have it and the built in Nav is ok for road use, not a lot of POIs and have to pay for updates. good enough to get you where you need if you have an address. I use Google maps and a WiFi hotspot for normal GPS. For off-road I use back country navigator. Works great I can save runs and download all of the imagery before I leave the house.

I am curious of the offroad/back country applicability, but from your post, it sounds like they missed the mark?

Petromotion

I am curious of the offroad/back country applicability, but from your post, it sounds like they missed the mark?

Its made more to use android apps than to be stand-alone equipment. There is a lot of options once you get into different apps which is what I think they wanted to allow. But like I said I think the normal GPS they have loaded is a little lacking. The company that makes the program they use does offer better quality if you're willing to pay to download it.

Back to the question about off-road use I think back country navigator is a great app and has a lot of capability once you learn to use it. I have shared and used other peoples .GPX files to find and follow trails.

Last edited:

ricky bobby

I use a tablet and mount with backcountry navigator app. Just have to make sure you down load the map area your going to be in. I also have Gaia GPS apps on phone as a back up. Both work great, also have the ability to track/bread crumbs so if you need to follow your way back out.

jeepinmilton

Google Earth to scout trails

Just thought about using google earth to scout trails. Has anyone done this? why or why not?

Also, what do you use to scout the trail beforehand? Or to find your way around omce you are out there?
John Rumph- Alpharetta, Ga

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I do it. But the trails change a little every year, so it's not fully accurate. Also, there's no substitute for being there to actually experience the obstacles. I use it more for backpacking and it's only semi-reliable.

black pearl

Hooked
I've used it in conjunction with topographical maps to plot out trips before so I can mark out possible harder obstacles but it still is a bit of a guessing game to when you actually get on the trail

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I use it a lot. Invaluable tool for scouting trails that are hours away. It's more or less useless when trying to look at obstacles and see if your Jeep could do them (need on the ground photos for that and even then things change). However, for mapping a route, it's second to none.

As an example...I was elk hunting this past year. There's a long story, but the part that's important for your question is that the last night we ended up hiking for over 6 hours in the dark, down a drainage we'd never been, that was incredibly difficult to hike. Steep sidewalls, thick brush in the creek bottom, no trail. Got back to the Jeep at 3am, exhausted and happy to be alive.

We had left some gear back in there, so I ended up going back the next weekend to recover it. Before going in, I used Google Earth to map out an alternate route in and out, using a horse trail I was able to spot on Google Earth. That weekend I was able to hike in, pack things up, and hike out, all in just over 4 hours due to being able to scout my path beforehand in Google Earth. Totally different experience.

So yes, in preparation, it's awesome. For in the moment type of stuff, used Gaia GPS. That app also saved my life that trip, but that's a story for another time.

Yep. And I also use an app called TrailConnect on my iPhone. When we go hiking also, you can go into the app and look at everything before hand with wifi at your home and the maps will save in the app to use when you're offline. Can be a good tool for when you're a bit deep into things and you don't have any service.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepinmilton

Thank y'all for the replies and insight. I will have to look into both Gaia GPS and Trailconnect

John Rumph- Alpharetta, Ga

jesse3638

Hooked
While all these are great tools never use these to substitute what your seeing in front of you. All too often we hear about someone who paid the ultimate price by listening to their GPS or other app and not paying attention to what they see in front of them. Also some of these apps or google earth may lead you onto private property. 90% of the time no one will ever know but that 10% may have an angry gun wielding individual. If there is ever a doubt find a local land management office weather it be county, state, or federal. They have a lot of valuable info and most of it is free as well. Illegal use is what leads to trails or entire areas getting closed. Conservation groups tend to have deep pockets with good lawyers. OK sorry for my PSA on responsible land use and back to your regularly scheduled thread..haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom