Brake Pedal Rattle

DWRAT

Thank you for posting this mod.
I did it and it appears to work or at least helps reduce it allot.
Thanks again.
Dan

dirtdonthurt

I finally got a chance to work on my rattling brake pedal.

WARNING!!! ATTEMPT THIS WORK-AROUND AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Complaint: Loud rattle from under drivers side dash and steering column while drive on rough wash board roads.

Cause: Excessive brake pedal lever play.

Correction: TBT

For reference, take a look at the video to get a better idea of the issue I'm experiencing.

https://youtu.be/AW32HdVNSfY

The video shows that there is an excessive amount of play between the brake pedal lever and aluminum support housing.

This play is not present on my 2009 Wrangler so I can only assume there is a problem with the housing or the brake pedal lever shaft is too small on my 2015 JK.

The rattle is caused by excessive up/down and side to side play in the brake pedal lever.

My idea to alleviate the excessive play is quite simple and effective. How long it will last is anyone's guess. Hopefully FCA will get back to me at some point with a real fix but for now, I can live with my temporary fix.

Here's what I used:

1' of 3/4" heater hose.
Razor blade or other sharp cutting device.
2 heavy duty cable ties.

The idea is to cut a piece of hose long enough to fit tightly between the brake lever and housing. Slit the hose so it will fit around the brake lever pin.

1. For a tight fit, I cut a section of hose 2.5" long. The extra hose will come in handy if you mess up the first cut. (ie. if you cut the hose too short)
2. Slit the hose lengthwise.
3. Slip the hose around the brake lever pin.

WARNING. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO DISTURB THE CLIP THAT HOLDS THE BRAKE BOOSTER PLUNGER ONTO THE PEDAL LEVER!!!!!

4. Use the 2 cable ties to hold the hose in place.

View attachment 188009

View attachment 188010

The hose prevents the excessive side to side play thus eliminating the rattle.

I drove over several very rough wash board roads and so far it's good.

Time will tell..

Your mileage may vary.

Such a good fix. The only thing I would change is possibly swap out the zip ties with a worm gear metal clamp. After awhile the zip ties may get brittle and pop off. Probably won't but good write up

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
Thank you for posting this mod.
I did it and it appears to work or at least helps reduce it allot.
Thanks again.
Dan
Glad it helped! So far so good for me.

Such a good fix. The only thing I would change is possibly swap out the zip ties with a worm gear metal clamp. After awhile the zip ties may get brittle and pop off. Probably won't but good write up

I agree, the hose clamp idea would certainly not break. 👍

dirtdonthurt

Glad it helped! So far so good for me.

I agree, the hose clamp idea would certainly not break. [emoji106]
Yea man. I like to trouble shoot like you did. The clamp popped into my head. Glad it's working and if my pedal starts making noise I. Doing this. So far it has alittle play but not enough to make me crazy. Lol

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
My pedal was doing the same thing as Jeepfan's took it to the dealer they said the bushing was worn out so they replaced it. My jeep was brand new? After they fixed it the pedal would still rattle but not near as bad as before. So I did the JeepFan fix and it has worked awesome with no problems at all. Thank you JeepFan[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
My pedal was doing the same thing as Jeepfan's took it to the dealer they said the bushing was worn out so they replaced it. My jeep was brand new? After they fixed it the pedal would still rattle but not near as bad as before. So I did the JeepFan fix and it has worked awesome with no problems at all. Thank you JeepFan[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
That's awesome. Thanks!!

fgreatorex

2015 JK Brake pedal rattle

We took our new 2015 JKU Rubicon out for its first off road adventure and I noticed this loud rattle coming from the brake pedal.

It only happens while driving over rough terrain at any speed. At first I thought it was coming from the steering column but, I quickly realized the noise stopped when I had my foot on the brake pedal.The rattle also stops if I pull up on the brake pedal with my foot.

Soon, I plan to take a close look to see if there are any loose bolts or Iinkage in the brake pedal assembly.

I'll update this thread when I have more info but, in the meantime, has anyone run into this problem? If so, please post up your experience.

Same problem with my 2016 Rubicon I too used my foot to figure out it was the brake pedal I brought it to the dealer and they said it was completely normal on

Last edited:

fgreatorex

My dealer experience

I have a 2016 Rubicon with 3K miles on it the shift that became very loose so I brought it to the dealer turns out there was a recall on the shifter in a recall on the airbags I asked him to take a look at the pedal and they said it was normal but every time I hit a good-sized bump it's a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the steering column

JeepFan

Hooked
2015 JK Brake pedal rattle

We took our new 2015 JKU Rubicon out for its first off road adventure and I noticed this loud rattle coming from the brake pedal.

It only happens while driving over rough terrain at any speed. At first I thought it was coming from the steering column but, I quickly realized the noise stopped when I had my foot on the brake pedal.The rattle also stops if I pull up on the brake pedal with my foot.

Soon, I plan to take a close look to see if there are any loose bolts or Iinkage in the brake pedal assembly.

I'll update this thread when I have more info but, in the meantime, has anyone run into this problem? If so, please post up your experience.

Same problem with my 2016 Rubicon I too used my foot to figure out it was the brake pedal I brought it to the dealer and they said it was completely normal on
Typical dealer response. It's definitely not normal. If the rattle is really bothering you, I'd ask to discuss the issue with the service manager. If you're given the same answer, then you might want to call the Chrysler customer assistance center.

Or just apply my fix and call it a day...😀

JeepFan

Hooked
I have a 2016 Rubicon with 3K miles on it the shift that became very loose so I brought it to the dealer turns out there was a recall on the shifter in a recall on the airbags I asked him to take a look at the pedal and they said it was normal but every time I hit a good-sized bump it's a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the steering column

Typical dealer response. It's definitely not normal. If the rattle is really bothering you, I'd ask to discuss the issue with the service manager. If you're given the same answer, then you might want to call the Chrysler customer assistance center.

Or just apply my fix and call it a day...😀

Alexander

That's the way we do it.
1. Somebody wind up a couple of coils of office adhesive tape on the sleeves.
2. My way is:
Just an additional washer made from a material such as caprolon.
There is almost no pedal rattling.
0.02.01.jpg

fgreatorex

Great fix

I have a 2016 Rubicon and the break pedal was making a loud noise when hitting a bump so I reached out and asked if anybody had the same problem and I got a reply to try Jeep fans fix and I am happy to say it worked great.

JeepFan

Hooked
I have a 2016 Rubicon and the break pedal was making a loud noise when hitting a bump so I reached out and asked if anybody had the same problem and I got a reply to try Jeep fans fix and I am happy to say it worked great.
Awesome! Glad this fixed the noise! 👍

Toddo

How?

Hi,
I'm a new owner of 2015 Jeep Sport and have this problem. Doing a search I came across this thread. I know it's old but I thought I would ask anyway. How did you guys, that did this, fix get two hands up there to get twist ties or clamps on the hose? I can get one hand up there and get the hose on but can't figure out how to get the zip ties on. I'm not a big guy but as as of yet I can't figure it out. Do I need to remove a panel or something?

JeepFan

Hooked
Hi,
I'm a new owner of 2015 Jeep Sport and have this problem. Doing a search I came across this thread. I know it's old but I thought I would ask anyway. How did you guys, that did this, fix get two hands up there to get twist ties or clamps on the hose? I can get one hand up there and get the hose on but can't figure out how to get the zip ties on. I'm not a big guy but as as of yet I can't figure it out. Do I need to remove a panel or something?

Its definitely not an easy area to work around!

I mostly used one hand to get the hose in place. With a little practice and extra long wire ties I was able to wrap the wire ties around the hose with one hand.

Toddo

Thanks for the reply. One more question. Do the zip ties simply keep the hose in place or do they perform a function in eliminating the rattle?

JeepFan

Hooked
Thanks for the reply. One more question. Do the zip ties simply keep the hose in place or do they perform a function in eliminating the rattle?

The ties keep the hose in place. The tighter the hose fits between the pedal and bracket the better. I found the ties ensure the hose will not loosen over time.

Top Bottom