Automatic gearbox trouble

Guascone

The throttle seems ok… when it happen the RPM are around 800/900/1000. If I shift to N on braking the engine RPM decreases to idle speed.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yeaterday I have reprogrammed the wheel diameter...today I'll check if someting is working different ...

what programmer do you have?

I had a similar issue on my 2010 automatic transmission, I was just about to give the OK to send it out for a rebuild when I decided to reboot the PCU.

using your programmer, return everything back to stock

with the engine off and stock tune installed, disconnect both the positive and negative cables from the battery.

touch the ends of the pos and neg cables together then leave it for 15 minutes disconnected

after 15 minutes connect your battery, start the motor - do not drive it, just let it run for a few minutes then shut it off.

install the tire size calibration, remember for an accurate tire size measure from the center of the hub to the ground then double it. If you measure from the top of the tire to the ground, measure from the outer edge of the top tread to the ground.

once you finish installing the tire size take it for a test drive, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Guascone

I had a similar issue on my 2010 automatic transmission, I was just about to give the OK to send it out for a rebuild when I decided to reboot the PCU.

with the engine off and stock tune installed, disconnect both the positive and negative cables from the battery.

touch the ends of the pos and neg cables together then leave it for 15 minutes disconnected

after 15 minutes connect your battery, start the motor - do not drive it, just let it run for a few minutes then shut it off.

install the tire size calibration, remember for an accurate tire size measure from the center of the hub to the ground then double it. If you measure from the top of the tire to the ground, measure from the outer edge of the top tread to the ground.

once you finish installing the tire size take it for a test drive, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Thanks!
Tomorrow morning I'll try it!

I would like to make the last test before...
Now I'm trying to leave the Jk outside for the night and tomorrow morning I'll test it with cold temperature

I have an italian programmer http://www.xquattro.com/jeep-wrangler-jk/elettronica-motore-jk/xgate2.html

Last edited:

Guascone

Today I have tested your procedure...tomorrow I'll see the results... Thanks in any case for suggestion!

Guascone

First test no good! At the stop the engine was close to shut down!
After few minutes everything seemed working properly but the oil temperature of gearbox was higher

Tomorrow morning I'll test it again...if not ok I'll go to the dealer...

jeeeep

Hooked
First test no good! At the stop the engine was close to shut down!
After few minutes everything seemed working properly but the oil temperature of gearbox was higher

Tomorrow morning I'll test it again...if not ok I'll go to the dealer...

that's no good, your gearbox fluid level is at the proper level?

Guascone

Honestly I don't know...it seems that when the oil viscosity is high, due to the cold temperature, the torque converter or some actuator doesn't work well...
The Jk is under warranty, so I hope that the dealer will do everything to solve this issue...🤔

Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

Ok, get ready to go ahead and make fun of me. I had a similar issue where as I came to a hard stop from about 35-40mph it felt like the jeep was slamming down a gear at the moment I stopped moving.

It had been like this for a while so I just stopped braking hard. Problem solved lol. Last week I checked the transmission oil & suddenly the issue went away. The only other thing I've done out of the ordinary was go rip through a muddy field.

Could there be a vacuum issue if the dipstick isn't inserted back all the way? It does click & lock into place?

Check your dipstick. I know it sounds crazy & I'm a newb so I totally understand if this sounds ridiculous.

Guascone

Ok, get ready to go ahead and make fun of me. I had a similar issue where as I came to a hard stop from about 35-40mph it felt like the jeep was slamming down a gear at the moment I stopped moving.

It had been like this for a while so I just stopped braking hard. Problem solved lol. Last week I checked the transmission oil & suddenly the issue went away. The only other thing I've done out of the ordinary was go rip through a muddy field.

Could there be a vacuum issue if the dipstick isn't inserted back all the way? It does click & lock into place?

Check your dipstick. I know it sounds crazy & I'm a newb so I totally understand if this sounds ridiculous.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll test also your precedure!

Today the gearbox seems works properly...I'll check it again tonight coming back at home...

Guascone

This morning i was at the dealer...he told me that the problem could be a misalignment between the actuators...the next fridey 12/11/15 he will check it with the programmer if everithing is ok... he told me also that ther shouldn't any risk

Guascone

Today I was at the dealer...it seems that my JKU has an old version of the gearbox software...updated the software and now everything should be ok...hopefully...:)

Thanks everybody for your help!

JeepJeep75

Good deal. Let us know if the software update works for you. I have a friend who is having similar issues with his auto-trans.

Guascone

Unfortunately after some test the gearbox still has the same trouble (or it is not a trouble…?).
I don’t know if can I make different check or test but for the moment the gearbox, when the oil is cold, i.e. at the stop in D mode, seem that didn’t disengage completely the traction… :(
The shifting is always correct and after few minutes/Km it start to work properly also at the stop light…I’m confused…

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Unfortunately after some test the gearbox still has the same trouble (or it is not a trouble…?).
I don’t know if can I make different check or test but for the moment the gearbox, when the oil is cold, i.e. at the stop in D mode, seem that didn’t disengage completely the traction… :(
The shifting is always correct and after few minutes/Km it start to work properly also at the stop light…I’m confused…

that's too bad, even after the update it's back to that.

It's cold here and my 2015 hasn't shown any symptoms like you are experiencing.

just throwing out an idea, but I wonder if there isn't something in the fluid (some metal shavings or other) floating around that is causing some blockage when it's at idle. when moving I would imagine the fluid movement would also move the debris to keep it from blocking anything. Just thinking out loud as something to look into.

I would take it back to the dealer and have them do a thorough check if it's under warranty.

Guascone

The dealer told me that has checked the oil and it seems clear and clean without debris…the strange is that the issue occurs only the first 5/7 km after a cold start.
When the oil temperature become higher everything work properly.

Today I have wrote about my disappoint at the customer service.

Last edited:

Guascone

Hi, solved my first/main issue on my automatic gearbox( WA580). I flushed it and up to now it is working without any issue.

Now I have to solve the second issue:

Sometime when I engage the low range gear, it happens that(when I select the drive mode) the gearbox is not able to change from N to D…it usually happen when I have to go quickly backward and forward…after some attempts the gearbox engage the gear and it start to properly work…
Is it something known and can I fix it by myself?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom