Installing Evo Long Arm Upgrade

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Is there a bolt that goes here? (Where the wrench is) looking at the weld area, it's a little light looking... and the instructions leave LOTS to be desired... this is the passenger side front bracket.

Thanks everyone for the support

Attachments

• 1449341411214.jpg
    1449341411214.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

dchew

Caught the Bug
Is that the one you have access to from a nearby hole in the tranny cross member? I seem to remember that. If so it is a short 1/2 or 5/8. Sorry I don't have access to my jeep right now.

Dave

Tree Frog

Yes there is one bolt that goes through the cross member. I think it is 5/8's but really cant remember. I used a short one that just goes through the one side of the cross member and bracket.
Be sure you do not weld the bracket to the cross member and only weld it to the frame. I was under there welding stuff out and almost F-ed up and burnt the cross member to the bracket. Would have been a lot of fun come time to remove the trans or something.

20150726_175216 jpeged.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yes there is one bolt that goes through the cross member. I think it is 5/8's but really cant remember. I used a short one that just goes through the one side of the cross member and bracket.
Be sure you do not weld the bracket to the cross member and only weld it to the frame. I was under there welding stuff out and almost F-ed up and burnt the cross member to the bracket. Would have been a lot of fun come time to remove the trans or something.

View attachment 176258

I made sure to NOT weld to the cross memeber, I already had that "that would have sucked" thought... haha

Last edited:

Tree Frog

I agree that the tank was one of the worst parts for me. Ratchet straps are your friend. Put two under tank and skid and then loosen bolts. Have jack stands under there as well. Slowly lower down and check for more lines and wires. Nightmare's man I tell ya.
Stupid connectors were a PIA too. Like some kind of a game.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I agree that the tank was one of the worst parts for me. Ratchet straps are your friend. Put two under tank and skid and then loosen bolts. Have jack stands under there as well. Slowly lower down and check for more lines and wires. Nightmare's man I tell ya.
Stupid connectors were a PIA too. Like some kind of a game.

Dropping the tank wasn't bad, I'm more worried about starting it up after, I ran the tank down LOW, it was light as hell... yikes. I'm going to bring a gas can tomorrow in the am to make sure I can start the jeep

dchew

Caught the Bug
Good pic Tree Frog. Now I remember. Had a gap in mine so I found a washer and stuffed it in between the bracket and the cross member.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Couldn't figure out the exhaust loop, looks like a trip to meineke is in order. But the whole front end is back together, and the jeep is driveable. Gotta schedule another weekend in the shop for the rear. As everyone always says, "If I could do it again, I would just pay someone"

Attachments

• 1449453154654.jpg
    1449453154654.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 1449453176982.jpg
    1449453176982.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 351

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Couldn't figure out the exhaust loop, looks like a trip to meineke is in order. But the whole front end is back together, and the jeep is driveable. Gotta schedule another weekend in the shop for the rear. As everyone always says, "If I could do it again, I would just pay someone"

Take a look at these pics, maybe they'll provide some help

http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=272921&g2_page=18

And please post plenty of pics yourself. When I upgrade to a full lift (as opposed to the EVO leveling kit I currently have) I plan on going the route you took. Thanks!:)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

And please post plenty of pics yourself. When I upgrade to a full lift (as opposed to the EVO leveling kit I currently have) I plan on going the route you took. Thanks!:)

Yeah, I know what to do in theory, I just couldn't get the loop perfect, and I messed with it for an hour or so, but finally gave in to move on to work on something else. I have the loop, I'm just going to try and get someone at an exhaust shop to deal with it

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Double post, but I think the key to fitting the loop is to cut perpendicular to the the floor. I tried to cut the pipe "straight" so the tube was parallel,l. I think that's what caused my issue. But in all honesty, if your going to do the long arms, I have the RIGHT tools (acetylene, quality grinding disks, etc)

Last edited:

dchew

Caught the Bug
I got some flex exhaust pipe to clamp it all together, then took it to someone who makes headers from scratch. He took the loop and filled in the gaps with a few custom made sections and welded it all up.

The long arm upgrade is a lot of work, but now you know the system much better than you would if someone else did it.

Nice job!

Top Bottom