81 cj7 show off

holliewood61

Been getting after it lately. Finally started cutting away the old tub. Almost all of the frame side body mounts are shot, but the frame is in extremely good shape considering how rusty the tub was. I will need to find a new windshield frame, as it is very rusty around the wiper motor

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

holliewood61

Its been a while since i updated yall, but ive been doing the slow boring work of dismantling the rig. I finally got it down to tbe frame so be watching for some work getting done. I need to relocate my rear shackle mounts to accept the xj springs, remove the trans and swap output shafts to the new trans, finish building the 360, burn in some new frame side body mounts, make a couple new cross members, boatside and comp cut the new tub, and do all the reassembly. I hope to get after this in a fast and furious manner. There is a ride coming up in april that i hope to use as a shakedown run.

holliewood61

Just a little update. I got the wheelbase set. It ended up sitting at 100.5". I got all the frame side body mounts cut off, waiting on brown santa to show up with the new. I welded in a new tubular cross member in place of the one forward of where the fuel tank was. I am in the process of pulling the t case and burnt up trans, then ill cut out the old chevy k10 trans cross member i was using and build a new one when the new trans goes in.

holliewood61

Split the trans and t-case and found a bit of carnage. The lip that the snap ring seats in busted and 20170304_013004_HDR.jpg the snap ring and what was left of the casting were dangling from the trans output shaft.

holliewood61

Im almost to the point to start going back together with this thing. I did some swapping around today and ended up with a pretty dang good start to a cage and a fair amount of cash in exchange for a set of waggy 44's, gears and front truss. This thing needs finish welded, but for the most part its done. I just need to swap it over to the new tub.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Awesome cj. Do I understands right that you are using a completely new tub or just doing a shit ton of welding to fix the old one? Either way bravo. Can't wait to see it come along.

holliewood61

You understand correctly. I parted out a rust free yj a while back just for the tub and i will be using that. It will be comp cut to allow for the extended wheel base and i plan on boat siding it as well. Once i get the new transmission bolted up and make a new crossmember ill be ready to start fitting the body and start making frame tie ins for the cage.

holliewood61

Worked on getting the family bar out of the new tub and getting the cage out of the cut up tub i got off a club member. Ran up the road to a guys place that has several j-trucks looking for a th400 to dana 20 adapter, and no dice. He did however have a j-4000 with a 401 in it that he bought for junk price. He didnt know it was a 401 and i didnt tell him other wise. I will proceed to badger him until he sells me the truck. I have a ride coming up in 9 days that i dont want to miss, so the thrash is on to get it in wheelable condition. I dont care if the armor is on, heater is in it, or if its painted as long as i can go wheel. The short list is to get the cage in the tub, tub on the frame, frame tie ins, dash back in, steering column back in, and fuel cell plumbed.

Top Bottom