Last time i went wheeling i bent my tie rod to the point that it was rubbing on the crank pulley. It was a home made job from when i put the scout axles in initially meant just to be able to move the Jeep around the yard. I cut the ends off the cj tie rod, put them in the lathe and turned them down until they fit inside the scout tie rod and welded it up. I beat the snot out of it for 2 yrs until it gave way.
Tonight i made a new tie rod. I used a yj tie rod. I cut the steering stabilizer bung out, shoved both ends into a piece of 1" black iron pipe, welded the ends, drilled 18 holes and plug welded. Disclaimer: I dont advise any such hack work for street driven rigs. Mine sees 95% trails with the other 5% being a ride down to the store. Hopefully with the yj rod being solid stock and with the sleeve it will hold up pretty well.
I also amputated one of my side pipes as seen strapped to the spare.
Im gonna put manifolds back on it to get the exhaust back inside the frame. One reason is they just take a beating in the rocks. The other reason is im going boatsides when i swap the yj tub over to it this winter. They are just a pain and i wish i had never installed them. Ok for mall crawlers, not so much for trail rigs.