A visit to Genoa, Nevada's oldest settlement!

KidCarson

About fifteen minutes outside of Carson City, nestled against the beautiful Sierra Nevada Mountains, resides Nevada's first settlement, Genoa. Established in 1850 by Mormon pioneers in what would eventually become the Nevada Territory, Genoa was home to Nevada's first newspaper, hotel, and court. The Genoa Bar, billed as "Nevada's Oldest Thirst Parlor", was frequented by such famous men as Mark Twain, Teddy Roosevelt, and Johnny Cash.

Artist depiction of the town in 1850
Simpson_expedition_Genoa_Nevada-1.jpg

Much of the town was destroyed by a fire in 1910, but many historic buildings survive and are now part of the Genoa Historic Distric, also known as Mormon Station.

This is a reproduction of the original fort at Mormon Station, rebuilt in 1947 after the fire of 1910
01edit1RESIZE1watermark.jpg

Beautiful grassy area just inside the fort
01edit1resize1watermarkWATERMARK2.jpg

02edit1.jpg

Examples of wagons used by the pioneers in 1850
03edit1resize3WATERMARK4.jpg

04edit1resize4WATERMARK5.jpg

Another park and wooded area sits adjacent to Mormon Station
05edit1.jpg

06edit1.jpg

07edit1.jpg

Check out the full story over at http://oh-ventures.com/?p=403

Bullwinckle

Hooked
That looks like an awesome place to visit full of Nevadas great history! I'm gonna have to add that to my list of places to go. Thanks for sharing!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great shots Andrew! Just went over and read the whole article! Thanks for the history lesson! Learned something new tonight

KidCarson

Definitely one of the coolest places I've visited! Nice that's a little smaller and not to much of a tourist trap, at least off-season anyway. :p One of these days I really wanna check out that Thirst Parlour and have a drink!

Desert Crawler

It's also a nice little wheeling trip to the top of Genoa Peak (the mountain that Genoa lies at the base of) which gives you a great view of Lake Tahoe and the Carson Valley.

Wolfpack14

It's also a nice little wheeling trip to the top of Genoa Peak (the mountain that Genoa lies at the base of) which gives you a great view of Lake Tahoe and the Carson Valley.

There are a couple cell phone towers up there that I have worked on. Awesome views in every direction, especially looking out at the lake. I know the park rangers shut down the road to the top during the winter though.

Top Bottom