The ISSUES with 16" Wheels on a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

koglesbay

16" Steel Wheels

I have 1.25" spacers and the Daystar 1.5" Lift kit for my 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. Before diving into the work, I want to make sure I get the correct wheels. My goal is to replicate the work Eddie did on his Trailhawk Renegade. Why mess with perfection?

Is the offset the only difference between the Mopar stock 16" (Renegade Ready) wheel and the HHR 16" wheel? If so, does one provide a benefit over the other? For example, spoke spacing to the brake calipers? Strength of wheel? Cost?

Thanks for help

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 1.25" spacers and the Daystar 1.5" Lift kit for my 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. Before diving into the work, I want to make sure I get the correct wheels. My goal is to replicate the work Eddie did on his Trailhawk Renegade. Why mess with perfection?

Is the offset the only difference between the Mopar stock 16" (Renegade Ready) wheel and the HHR 16" wheel? If so, does one provide a benefit over the other? For example, spoke spacing to the brake calipers? Strength of wheel? Cost?

Thanks for help

To the best of my knowledge, the difference in the offset is only 1mm. In other words, basically negligible. I don't know if there are any real benefits per se, the HHR wheels were just a good looking 16" wheel and that's what I needed being that I have a Trailhawk and it came with 17" wheels. Of course, I personally think the HHR's look great and they were cheap. If you've already got 16" wheels, I might save your money and just stick with what you have.

koglesbay

No, I have the 17" wheels that came with the Trailhawk. I want to replicate what you did with your Trailhawk by raising it by 1.5", adding 1.25" spacing and reduce the wheel size so I can put on more aggressive mud tires.

ShadowHawk

No, I have the 17" wheels that came with the Trailhawk. I want to replicate what you did with your Trailhawk by raising it by 1.5", adding 1.25" spacing and reduce the wheel size so I can put on more aggressive mud tires.

Hey, I just got my 1" Renegade ready wheel spacers in, once I go in for my 1st oil change, I'll be installing them and seeing how they perform, and I will be using the stock 17" wheels and tires for now...

Spade

Hey I was just wondering what brand of spacers everyone is using, the link is a little misleading to me. Are they the Eibach ones?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey I was just wondering what brand of spacers everyone is using, the link is a little misleading to me. Are they the Eibach ones?

The first set of spacers I bought were just 1" and I got them from here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NXC6SRG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

The set I'm running now are 1.25" so that they can clear the heads of the factory lug bolts and I got them from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321568830273?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

The second spacers are made in the USA at their facility in California.

Spade

That's great, thank you very much, we are trying this out on one at work and I'm having a little trouble finding the spacers.

TWX

Being that I don't have a Latitude, I can't say for sure. What I know is that for 2015, the Trailhawk was supposed to come with front rotors that were about an inch wider in diameter than a Sport, Latitude or Limited. This was supposed to change in 2016 and ALL Renegades are to come with the same brakes.

Since it's been about three months since you posted this, have you heard anything fresh on the brakes or anything else that differs 2015-2016?

We're strongly considering the Trailhawk for my wife as her daily driver, but part of that consideration is to sate my desire for 4x4. I bet I could get a cheap set of take-off steel wheels from the dealer if we decide to buy. She might not want them on asa the normal wheel due to reduced fuel economy reported by others with offroad tires, but it would be easy enough to keep a set of aggressive tires in the garage and swap 'em before road trips.

ElZorrodelSol

No. The only way I could find to clear them was to run 1.25" wheel spacers and that was with a thinner steel wheel. Aluminum wheels are going to be a lot harder to make work.

Have you had any issues with the thinner HHR wheel? I imagine not much of an issue with the taller side walls, but just don't want to go bending a rim. Is air down an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ElZorrodelSol

No. The only way I could find to clear them was to run 1.25" wheel spacers and that was with a thinner steel wheel. Aluminum wheels are going to be a lot harder to make work.

Sorry, another question. Would it be possible to get a new 16" wheel with an offset of say zero? This would push the wheel out the 41mm from the stock TH wheel. This would be about 3/8" further out than the 1.25" spacers. Would back spacing then be a problem?

Mowry67

renegade lift

i just bought a 2016 renegade trailhawk. its good to know about the fitment issues, with 16 in wheels. the parts guy at the local jeep dealer in Tucson said the calipers and rotors where the same on all renegade 4x4s.
makes me wonder if its worth lifting it or not. im not a big fan of spacers.

TWX

i just bought a 2016 renegade trailhawk. its good to know about the fitment issues, with 16 in wheels. the parts guy at the local jeep dealer in Tucson said the calipers and rotors where the same on all renegade 4x4s.
makes me wonder if its worth lifting it or not. im not a big fan of spacers.

I'm basically intending on doing rocker panel protection before I do anything else that requires serious work. I used to take my folks '99 Tracker out and the only thing I ever did to it was to come down on a rock and put a crease on a rocker. Fortunately not too severely, but enough that if you know where to look you can see it.

Kicking the wheels out a bit also appeals and is very easy compared to so many other things, but I'd rather find wheels manufactured with the right offset if possible. This is the first 4x4 with this bolt pattern so I'm not exactly surprised that we haven't seen aftermarket wheels like this yet.

Mowry67

I'm basically intending on doing rocker panel protection before I do anything else that requires serious work. I used to take my folks '99 Tracker out and the only thing I ever did to it was to come down on a rock and put a crease on a rocker. Fortunately not too severely, but enough that if you know where to look you can see it.

Kicking the wheels out a bit also appeals and is very easy compared to so many other things, but I'd rather find wheels manufactured with the right offset if possible. This is the first 4x4 with this bolt pattern so I'm not exactly surprised that we haven't seen aftermarket wheels like this yet.

Yes that's exactly what in finding out. I'm thinking of some steel wheels till the choice improves

Mowry67

Has anybody has any luck finding other 16" wheels that fit over the TH massive brake calipers?

That's what im hearing .. but local jeep dealer told the calipers are the same on all renegades. Yet the renegade sport comes with 16in wheels. So its like WTF, or is it the rotars the are bigger.

Mowry67

Being that I don't have a Latitude, I can't say for sure. What I know is that for 2015, the Trailhawk was supposed to come with front rotors that were about an inch wider in diameter than a Sport, Latitude or Limited. This was supposed to change in 2016 and ALL Renegades are to come with the same brakes.

That being said, are you running 16" wheels now? If so, I would think you'd be fine. If not, measure your front rotors and if they're 11" in diameter, you will be fine. If they measure 12", you will have the same brakes that we have on our Trailhawk and you will need to run spacers to make the HHR wheels work.

Good to know .ive got a 2016. I'll be lifting in the next couple of months..love the look of the cooper stt pro

Top Bottom