TJ wanders

Sporadic

A buddy of mine just purchased a 2000 TJ sport for his wife. It has a 4" skyjacker lift and 33" tires. This thing is extremely "flighty" so he needs some help with correcting the wandering issue before presenting it to his wife for Christmas.

When I had this issue after lifting my JKU Eddie recommended adding adjustable lca's to correct the negative caster created from the lift. This worked for my JKU so I'm assuming the same rules apply to the TJ. My question is, what is the factory caster angle for a TJ? Same as the JKU at 4 degrees? Am I on the right track here or are there other corrections that need to be considered and dealt with as well?

Thanks!
Ty

thardy

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, it could be the control arms. And on the TJ's he might have to go long arm to get the geometry right.

Sporadic

That's what I was thinking as well but I also read about maybe needing a new track bar and drag link flip kit. I'm going to measure the axle and pinion angles next week.

gary2

One thing I see is wrong is you don't use a drop pitman arm without dropping the track bar mount at the frame end also . I would reinstall the original pitman arm . Caster needs to be checked and other than that it can be any number of worn components , control arm bushings tie rod or drag link ends ,track bar ends. Easiest way it to lay under the front of the TJ and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth between about 10 and 2 quickly with engine off . Listen for clunking sounds watch for movement at any of the ends , feel with your hands . watch the sector shaft for side ways movement , could be a worn steering box . Drop pitman arms are hard of them .

ob_tj

I have the same 4" skyjacker short arm lift with 33" tires on my 04 TJ and I have yet to have any steering problems with it.

Top Bottom