How do you transport your Jeep Cross country?

dillard09

Unless I can get a guide or do a jeep jamboree type event that lines up I won't go alone ;) haha and I don't know if I trust my fiancé to be my spotter lol

You can go to the top of black bear pass. Its 2 way traffic to the top. If you there alone and in the summer, just hang out. The view is awesome! Then when the next group comes by just ask if they wouldn't mind if you joined on the way down.
If you are there you need to do it. It is amazing!

MGinNJ

Hello all! New to the forum and had a question about getting your jeep cross country.

I'm just getting into jeeping and my fiance and I are thinking of taking a trip to Ouray Colorado.We live in NY so its about a 3000mile round trip drive. I was wondering if you rent a flatbed for your jeeps or if you just drive it and say screw it.

My jeep is stock for the most part but will be doing significant upgrades over the summer (about $13k in upgrades overall...she said yes to the upgrades thank god) and just didnt know if it was a bad idea to drive a lifted jeep with 35 nittos cross country. The trip would be after the upgrades. Thanks again for all of the help! :thumb:

Hey Zerorex, it would be great to have a partner for a trip to Colorado next year. I'm from north Jersey, and also recently got my jeep (last march). I would like to drive it there. I think driving it is part of the history of our jeeps, as well as every trail, every nice place we visit with it, and every jeep fellow we meet and become friends with.

zerorex

Hey Zerorex, it would be great to have a partner for a trip to Colorado next year. I'm from north Jersey, and also recently got my jeep (last march). I would like to drive it there. I think driving it is part of the history of our jeeps, as well as every trail, every nice place we visit with it, and every jeep fellow we meet and become friends with.

Awesome man! When the time gets closer I'll message you! We're thinking of doing it in August. If you're interested we can meet up and go together!

Shootingjeeper

What was Black Bear like? I think I've watched "Keep it Tight" about 25 times. That descent portion just mesmerizes me...:shock:

It was pretty awesome! The switchback are pretty intense.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450490954.951891.jpg

The worst spot to me was the rocky, small stair step corner that is right before the switchbacks. I would recommend doing Black Bear before noon. We were in Ouray for a week and a little shower came through every afternoon. It was just enough rain to make things slick.

Even in August there is still snow on top of Black Bear. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450490885.436078.jpg

northernalpine

Gas and clutch pedals mainly. Mine is still long drive capable despite lift and 35's. I think you have to achieve another level of awesomeness to have to trailer it.

croge17

I use a F250 and a 36 ft gooseneck trailer. Nothing worse than being on a trail 3000+ miles from home and having a breakage and worrying how to get home.

Flynlo

Cool! August sounds good to me! Looking forward to it!

Don't leave me out! :drinks:
My wife and I will be headed out that way early/mid August and would love to tag along or at least meet up in Ourey. I'm in Southern NH and we'll be going through Niagara Falls then across the northern states for a two week road trip.

MGinNJ

Don't leave me out! :drinks:
My wife and I will be headed out that way early/mid August and would love to tag along or at least meet up in Ourey. I'm in Southern NH and we'll be going through Niagara Falls then across the northern states for a two week road trip.

That sounds like a great idea, Flynlo! We 'll keep in touch!

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Nice!! I've never done that far of a trip before (Which is why I'm kinda worried), but also was wondering if adding the miles would be an issue. I mean its a 2015 and you'll probably laugh at me but in one year I have 6k miles haha. I'm a teacher and dont live far from my job, but during the summer time we usually just go hiking or camping. This summer with the upgrades we want to make it all about offroading. Hopefully if you guys do some meetups in the NY metro area i'd love to come and learn. I got a small taste of offroading in upstate ny and pa and well now im hooked lol

Don't feel bad, I got mine in May of 14 and it only has 12,500 on it. Spends half the time in airport parking[emoji22]

jeeeep

Hooked
Quote Originally Posted by zerorex View Post

Nice!! I've never done that far of a trip before (Which is why I'm kinda worried), but also was wondering if adding the miles would be an issue. I mean its a 2015 and you'll probably laugh at me but in one year I have 6k miles haha. I'm a teacher and dont live far from my job, but during the summer time we usually just go hiking or camping. This summer with the upgrades we want to make it all about offroading. Hopefully if you guys do some meetups in the NY metro area i'd love to come and learn. I got a small taste of offroading in upstate ny and pa and well now im hooked lol

Don't feel bad, I got mine in May of 14 and it only has 12,500 on it. Spends half the time in airport parking[emoji22]

6k miles in one year?? :shock: I ususally hit that in one good trip lol

since May 2014 and only 12,500?? :shock:

they're good to drive the long haul, my 2010 has 134+k miles, 35's and 37's now. still drive cross country regularly.

I always do an oil change before long trip if I'm going to hit the change oil mileage mark during the trip, check all other fluid levels and make sure my air cleaner is clean. seems like it's the little things that can screw up a trip.

with 2 people it's a good ride - if you have passengers taller than 5' well...that back seat is not the most comfortable.
I added rear seat wedges before our last trip and the rear passengers told me it was comfortable and they could still walk after 6 hours on the trail, my brother sat back there and he's 6'3 :thumb:

allow enough driving time, after the lift you may find being able to maintain higher speeds more challenging if you don't regear but should be good with the 3.6 geared properly.

enjoy your trip! don't forget your mobile device chargers :beer:

Last edited:

LeeVanCleef

I' m planning a trip out to Moab either late 2017 or spring 2018. I live in eastern PA and I'm currently thinking I'm going to go like this:

Load the Jeep with everything I need for the trip. Tools, extra parts, personal luggage, you name it.
Drive the Jeep to the rail yard and load the Jeep and ship it out west a week or so before I want use it out there. Going to ship in an enclosed container going out.
Drive to the airport and not even pack a carry on bag.
Grab Uber on the west end and have them drop me at the rail yard to pick up my Jeep. Schedule flight so I leave early morning and get out west with enough time to pick it up same day.
Enjoy the adventure!
Drive back to the rail yard and ship the Jeep back east in an open top car. It costs slightly less that way, but I'm not taking chances on the way out.
Uber back to the airport
Fly back home
Pick the Jeep up when it arrives.

I don't enjoy thousands of miles of interstate. Too many headaches, construction, traffic, extra hotels, fuel, crapshoot diners, etc.

Just something else to think about.

JeepJeep75

My wife and I have made the trip to Ouray from southern Cali several times in our Honda Civic. It's 14 hours straight through. We would stop overnight on the way there then bonsai straight home. Before we had our jeep we would rent a Rubicon in Ouray. Black Bear and Poughkeepsie Gulch are forbidden trails that you must sign in the rental contract. That absolutely did not stop us from doing those trails. They are definitely doable in a stock 2 door Rubicon. Just don't get stuck. With careful driving it's no problem. This summer we will be making that journey in our own jeep. Except this time we will be exploring all the areas we flew by in the Honda like Moab. There are so many places and things to see in the west. Don't limit yourself to just one destination. Drive your jeep so you can take detours and side trips. If you trailer it, that kind of locks you into an area on a schedule.

As far as Black Bear and Imogene Pass and all the other trails go, they are really fun, and there are lots of other people around should you need help. Don't worry about summer rain showers. The trails don't really get muddy. And don't plan on doing any of these trails before June or July as it does take the local road crews awhile to open them. Just a year or two ago they never got Imogene open due to the massive amount of late snow. One more thing, you will not be able to take enough pictures!!! Every time you turn a corner the scenery changes and a new pic must taken.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
That's the way we did it [emoji106]
5300 miles in 15 days in a 2 door Jk. Best vacation ever. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464185502.147024.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464185520.147606.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464185535.171792.jpg

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I didn't really read this thread much so hopefully this hasn't already been said in here. I seen this saying a while back, it wasn't being said about jeeps but about some other car. it still applies:

"Not driving your jeep to keep miles off of it for re sale value is like not having sex with your girlfriend to save her for the next guy"

I think its a pretty good saying.

Now, it depends on the situation for me. If we are going far and want to stay in a camper of some sort then we might tow the jeep on a trailer behind my buddies truck with camper in the bed. If we are staying in a tent or hotel then we most likely will drive it. If there is a high chance of breakage and I know about it, then we might trailer it. I will admit I can get mad and use the skinny pedal too much and know that I will most likely break if we go certain places. I will also admit that most if not all breaks on any vehicle Ive ever had and wheeled have been factory parts and were replaced with factory parts as I was beyond broke at that time. So upgraded aftermarket parts probably wouldn't have broke and gave me more confidence to drive it instead of trailer it.

We drove the JK from Stillwater Oklahoma to Durango Colorado last July and it wasn't bad. We did stop in Santa Rosa New Mexico and stay the night on the way out though. We were following my boss and his family, at that time his son was two so he didn't want to push him too far. On the trip back the wife and I pushed it all the way through, I drove the entire way which was a mistake on my part. We stopped at my dads house in OKC for the night and I was ready to get out of the jeep for a while. We only stopped for gas the entire trip back. I will say I am also a bigger guy so 12 hours in the jeep starts to make it seem a lot smaller than what it is.

I also like driving the JK places because once you arrive, you don't have to worry about leaving a tow vehicle and a trailer somewhere.

Someday we might get something like a class C motor home and flat tow the jeep behind it if we want to take it. That is years away though.

Top Bottom