2016 Goal Thread

MTG

Caught the Bug
And here we go again....

Jeep related:
1) Use it more. LOL! (Did okay in this category, busy work year so hope to do better)
2) Replace parts as necessary(didn't break much, didn't fix much)
3) Camping with family 4+ times(Think we only got 3 days :()
4) Install air bumps...this has become rather humorous (Fail)
5) Dynatrac brake system(?) (these are sitting in my garage hoping for a January install
6) Attend at least 2 Wayalife events (Think we made it)
7) Get organized so it doesn't take me a week to get ready for a run(Better but not dialed in yet)

Life related:

1) Focus on health and well being (Still a work in progress, need to learn to live in the moment more)
a) Lose 40+ pounds(lost 40 but gained 30 ;) )
b) Read a book a month (Technically done. Read 15 by August)

2) Enjoy life to the fullest
a) Simplify, simplify, simplify(a work in progress)
b) Focus on experiences and not stuff(improved, but still a ways to go, work in progress)

3) Financial
a) Put finances/savings on auto-pilot (done)
b) Increase savings 5% over 2015 (done)
c) Spend money wisely to maximize #2 above

What do you hope to accomplish in 2016?

Edit:

Too keep myself on pace.

Books:
1) The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle
2) The 3G Way: Dream, People, Culture by Francisco S. Homem de Mello
3) The Art of Happiness at work by The Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler (audio)
4) The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich (expanded and updated version) by Timothy Ferriss
5) The Great Depression: A Diary by Benjamin Roth
6) Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation by Edward Chancellor (excerpts...got a little tired of it. To much finance reading so far this year)
7) A guide to the good life: the ancient art of Stoic joy by William B Irvine (I really wanted to like this book, but just couldn't get into it)
8) The Future We Want: Radical Ideas for the New Century
9) Weed the People: The future of Legal Marijuana in America by Bruce Barcott (current)
10) The Forgotten by David Baldacci
11) After the End by Amy Plum (audio)
12) The Litigators by John Grisham
13) Gray Mountain by John Grisham
14) The Escape by David Baldacci (Audio)
15) The Racketeer by John Grisham (Audio, but it was the last one I listened to on vacation and couldn't get into it)
16) Code of Conduct by Brad Thor (Audio)
17) Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Get my Evo DTD/Evo Lever suspension installed. I have an appt scheduled for that in April. Wheel my Jeep more. Hopefully get to meet some more of you on the trails. Take the kids with me a lot more often since they are big enough now.

Last edited:

blackrubi14

Jeep :

1. Front drive shaft
2. Protek Skids
3. EVO Sliders
4. 37's
5. Different front bumper
6. Coil overs (Although probably not until 2017)

Life:

1. Eat healthier
2. Increase savings
3. Spend more time camping with the wife

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Jeep Stuff

1. Hard Rock Cage
2. I wanna run Fordyce with Eddie and the WAL Crew =)
3. Wheel with MTG,Jags and Frank again real soon!!!!

Life:

I can't complain 2015 was good to me now that i am down 75lbs would love to knock off the last 50lbs and enjoy getting out with friends more.

Thank all you guys again for a great year!

New Years run was awesome, Rockin Rubicon was 10X better then i could have imagined. Met a ton of good people this year and look forward to doing it all over again in 2016

utiadam

LOSER
Jeep related:
1. Evo tire carrier
2. Warn zeon 10-s
3. Front and rear axle shafts
4. Dynatrac brakes
5. Front and rear king bumps
6. Centerforce clutch kit
7. Possibly evo long arm

JAGS

Hooked
Hey MTG, you gonna do this like every year??? :icon_crazy: I totally avoided 2015, but I'll see what can be done in 2016.

Life related:
  • Live in the present and enjoy all of life's simple moments try to do this everyday.
  • Be a better father and husband (assuming better than awesome is possible;)) kid's and wife's opinions may vary. Don't think I'll ever feel I've done enough here. Stove for better next year.
  • Coach my son's soccer team again - done. Made it to semi-finals. My boy had 17 assists and one goal in 14 total games. Nice season!
  • Support my daughter in music/girl scouts - done. She also started color guard and I cheered her on in her first holiday parade performance
  • Bump retirement/college savings plans three percent more going towards 403b, not bad. Also upped the kids 529s
  • Lose 20+ pounds net neutral here......well, there is always next year[emoji6]
  • Cook more/cook healthy during the week
Jeep related:
  • Go on as many trips between Jan-Aug does the kick off run count? Was able to do Moab and rubicon again. Plus quite a few other trips here and there. With a busy schedule, a great year of wheeling.
  • Turn a wrench (who am I kidding here:crazyeyes:) Ha...doubters... won't quit my day job, but had to start somewhere- done
  • Cage Install - done
  • LED updates - done
  • Will need new tires
  • Save for upgrades/replacements:
- winch - done
- progrips
- front axel shafts
- as needed/necessary
Picked up a new Currie tie rod

got a great deal on an ARB fridge -$599 no tax/shipped

Damn, that is a lot. Thanks for the future disappointment MTG. ;)

Last edited:

Irish Pirate

First. I'm taking my old TJ from stock to trail ready.

2nd. I'm leaving my island home and moving to Arizona. I'm doing this for a number of reasons but one big one is to start off roading. Heck, I can't even Mall Crawl where I am.

Third, find a new job to pay for it all. One that doesn't require 65-85hours a week.

4th and most importantly. Just to enjoy life more.

Oh, and definitely more camping

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hey MTG, you gonna do this like every year??? :icon_crazy: I totally avoided 2015, but I'll see what can be done in 2016.

Probably.

Every year in Hawaii the better 3/4 and I sit down and map out our 1-5 year goals, 10 year goals, 15 year goals and 25+ year goals. I'm always amazed how many we actually accomplish once they are actually written down. For example, we currently have a total of 39 goals, 31 of which fall within the 1-5 year range…we have already met 16 of them.

However, a wise man once told me once…everyone has a goal, but not everyone has a plan.

We type out and print our goals and then keep them in a place we can see them and regularly check on them. This gives us a chance to discuss our progress, our plans and whether our strategy needs to be changed.

Good luck on your goals! But better luck on your plan to get there. :yup:

JK LYF

MTG, great idea for a thread. If my memory is correct, I believe I saw the one you did last year. Reading some of these goals is motivating. I'll have to think about some of mine and post them up.

JAGS

Hooked
Probably.

Every year in Hawaii the better 3/4 and I sit down and map out our 1-5 year goals, 10 year goals, 15 year goals and 25+ year goals. I'm always amazed how many we actually accomplish once they are actually written down. For example, we currently have a total of 39 goals, 31 of which fall within the 1-5 year range…we have already met 16 of them.

However, a wise man once told me once…everyone has a goal, but not everyone has a plan.

We type out and print our goals and then keep them in a place we can see them and regularly check on them. This gives us a chance to discuss our progress, our plans and whether our strategy needs to be changed.

Good luck on your goals! But better luck on your plan to get there. :yup:

Copy that! I think we do that to a degree as well, just maybe not the long term forecast on paper (not a bad idea). My wife is the historian of the family and helps to keep us all in line month to month and year to year. I don't really look at it as "goals," but guess they are when all is said is done. We 'only go to Hawaii every other year'...so we'll have to come up with something a little different for tracking purposes. ;)

Though I didn't write them down here, we actually accomplished quite a bit in 2015. Went through quite a bit as well. 2016 will hopefully be a positive year for JAGS.

Agree with you....always have to have a plan! And never be afraid/discouraged when life doesn't go according to it. I learned that the hard way several years ago and again this past year with some personal family events. Guess I can say the best goal is to "keep your head on straight and eyes focused regardless of what life throws at you."

Good luck on your goals, er plans, as well! And happy new year to kick things off. :yup:

ttfhell

Life related:
  • Live in the present and enjoy all of life's simple moments
  • Be a better father and husband (assuming better than awesome is possible;))
  • Coach my son's soccer team again
  • Support my daughter in music/girl scouts
  • Bump retirement/college savings plans
  • Lose 20+ pounds
  • Cook more/cook healthy during the week
Jeep related:
  • Go on as many trips between Jan-Aug
  • Turn a wrench (who am I kidding here:crazyeyes:)
  • Cage Install
  • LED updates
  • Will need new tires
  • Save for upgrades/replacements:
- winch
- progrips
- front axel shafts
- as needed/necessary​

Damn, that is a lot. Thanks for the future disappointment MTG. ;)

None of the crap for your jeep before winch.

JeepJeep75

Jeep related :
1 - Lose some paint in Moab
2 - lose some more paint in Colorado
3 - convince wife jeep needs to be lifted and protected with EVO goodies
4 - start building up camping supplies
5 - stop staying in hotels and start camping
6 - start collecting spare parts and tools for jeep

Life related :
1 - commit to taking time off of work to try to accomplish jeep items listed above
2 - enjoy more of what we have rather than worry about what we don't have
3 - explore more of everything

MTG

Caught the Bug
256 views and only a handful of people have goals? LOL! That's priceless! :yup:

ttfhell

256 views and only a handful of people have goals? LOL! That's priceless! :yup:

Dude I had like 1800 views for a run and one sign up lol.

2016 Goals-
Back Surgery
Get the feeling back to my feet
Get back to my smaller self
Brown belt
Get back to playing hockey
Get back to golf and push for a single digit handicap
Manage the shit out of my region
Sailing trip to the BVI's
Paint my house
Get to a Wings game at the Joe
Cheerleader

Jeep-
paint/wrap half doors
Wrap jeep
Get the fuckers I call friends on a trail more than once a year (really you have time, don't be scared, you can do it!)
Fordyce
Carnage Canyon- driving not bitch
New Mexico wheeling
Old Mexico wheeling

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Dude I had like 1800 views for a run and one sign up lol.

2016 Goals-
Back Surgery
Get the feeling back to my feet
Get back to my smaller self
Brown belt
Get back to playing hockey
Get back to golf and push for a single digit handicap
Manage the shit out of my region
Sailing trip to the BVI's
Paint my house
Get to a Wings game at the Joe
Cheerleader

Jeep-
paint/wrap half doors
Wrap jeep
Get the fuckers I call friends on a trail more than once a year (really you have time, don't be scared, you can do it!)
Fordyce
Carnage Canyon
New Mexico wheeling
Old Mexico wheeling

That's what I'm talking about…

Seems like post counts have been down…let's get it up!

Brown for you, blue for me. :)

Let's coordinate Fordyce…I'm totally down for that.

But, can you really get any smaller? ;)

Top Bottom