Jeep JK Wrangler Front Axle Shaft Removal & Replacement

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
LOL!! As if the dust shield really did anything to keep water, mud or anything else out of your axle tubes. You'll be fine. If anything, you can get axle tube seals but really, they aren't really necessary :yup:

Haha yea it really did nothing but it just didn't look right to me. This is my first time doing this. Thanks Eddie for the reassurance that I will be good without it

Sent from my iPhone

Yamaha90

I would kind of think the dust "shield" would be more of a hinderance due to trapping debris in by the rotor (such as small stones and stuff)

donovsg

Saturday Night Axel Shaft project

The write up on the Jeep JK Wrangler Front Axle Shaft Removal and Replacement was Fantastic. We appreciate the tool list and we were able to ensure we had all the tools and the proper axle shaft prior to starting work. We "rented" the 36mm Socket/Axel Shaft Socket from Autozone. It took us about an hour to complete the job, that included cleaning all the dirty parts, prior to reassembling. The Torque settings were very helpful. My 16 year old son, a friend and his dad all had a great time. Only challenge is we have a intermittent clicking noise from something hitting or rubbing the dust shield, but only while turning left while in 4WDH. We will figure that out, next weekend. We have also printed off and put this into the "jeep field book". 1/4 the cost of having someone do it, a great easy project AND the 2 young men used this to help complete Auto Mechanics Merit Badge. The write up IS fantastic, thank you for sharing it. :thumb::clap2:

Clark Collins

unit bearing damage

A couple tool company's make a specific special tool for this, but u can do the same thing using a small extension on the three 13mm 12pt bolts that hold the unit bearing to the knuckle. U put the socket and extension on the bolt, and start the engine and turn the wheel to wedge the extension against the axle, and use the power steering force to push the hub out of the knuckle.
If u use a puller on the hub u will separate the unit bearing, and then u will need a new one.

I didn't read this write up before stripping my D30 axle and used a puller to remove the unit bearings as they wouldn't come out otherwise. The axle was out of the Jeep. Are these unit bearings ruined? They didn't separate, but it took quite a bit of pressure to get them out with the puller. PM your answer please in addition to posting it.

Dieselcon

Axel Snapped and still inside Diff?

I snapped my front short end Axel on my Jeep, Ive removed the Axel but the end is still inside the diff... If I had a suoper magnet I guess I could pull it out but I dont... Any Advice on how I can removed the end So I can reinstall my new Axel..
This is in a Dana 30 with an ARB locker..

I thoughts are ... If I had a long enouth Pole I could remove the other side and poke the long pole to knock it out... Is there an easier way.

TIA.

Jose

A.J.

If it is broken off past the carrier end on that side you should be able to pull the other side out and remove the carrier. Just make sure you get the shims back in the same as they came out for backlash and the bearing caps back on the same as they came off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom