Random Willys of the day

holliewood61

Stole this info from Wikipedia.

Edit

Mahindra & Mahindra Limited*in Bombay (Mumbai), India began its vehicle business in 1947 by assembling*complete knock down(CKD) Jeeps.[7]*It started FC-150 production inIndia*in 1965 and later expanded the model range for the*domestic market*to include the FC-170, as well as its own intermediate sized FC-160.

The FC-160 (and later FJ-160) uses a 93*in (240*cm) wheelbase. The pick-up box was by Mahindra and other bodies were available. The "cowl*and*chassis*only" FC-160 model was popular during the 1970 s for conversion into*mini-buses,*ambulances, and other vehicles. Most have the basic front face of the FC. Manufacture of the Mahindra FC-160 pickup truck ended in the summer of 1999

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
They still sell a version of the CJ3 with a 1.9L Peugeot Diesel engine for farm use. Their quite popular in New Zealand apparently

USMC Wrangler

Found this one for sale yesterday. The sign said it is a 1953 and asking $3500. From my quick look there's body damage at the drivers side front fender and some other cosmetic issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks later than 1953 to me in comparing photos online.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455209419.558372.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Found this one for sale yesterday. The sign said it is a 1953 and asking $3500. From my quick look there's body damage at the drivers side front fender and some other cosmetic issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks later than 1953 to me in comparing photos online.

View attachment 187258

Hole in the side tells me it could be an m38a1, but it doesn't have a snorkle cut out on the hood. Did you get a shot of the dash plaques ?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Never mind, it does have the cut out. I didn't see it at first. It more than likely around that year.
From Wikipedia
The Willys M38A1 or (MD) was built from 1952 until 1957 for the U.S. military forces and from 1958 until 1971 for export to foreign governments. The United States Marine Corps continued to order and use the M38A1 until 1971. The Marine version had minor differences from the units used by other branches. The production information available for these vehicles suggests a much more limited production run. The M38A1 was so well liked, they introduced the CJ-5 in 1955 based on its design.

USMC Wrangler

Thanks for the info! I'm not in a position to buy, but always like learning more. I didn't get dash plaque pics. I was working so just had a second to pull over and snap a quick shot and take a very quick look. If I go by there again and it's still there I'll try and get a shot of those, for my further education.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thanks for the info! I'm not in a position to buy, but always like learning more. I didn't get dash plaque pics. I was working so just had a second to pull over and snap a quick shot and take a very quick look. If I go by there again and it's still there I'll try and get a shot of those, for my further education.

Always look for the dash plaque the vin numbers very quickly will tell you what it is. You really don't even need to look up the vin, they are that obvious what they mean. Unfortunately most have been removed when they are this old.

Cool find !

USMC Wrangler

Always look for the dash plaque the vin numbers very quickly will tell you what it is. You really don't even need to look up the vin, they are that obvious what they mean. Unfortunately most have been removed when they are this old.

Cool find !

I'm definitely a noob at hunting these. I'll be sure to remember that! Thanks!

M38A1Driver

I'm definitely a noob at hunting these. I'll be sure to remember that! Thanks!

Nice looking find. The ID tag, if its still on it , is located on the fender well behind the passengers seat. It's later than 1953. The most obvious tell is 52-53 models had the hinged front grill and thumb screws on the battery box covers. As long as the engine is good there's not much that can't be fixed easily. Pretty tough machines.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Nice looking find. The ID tag, if its still on it , is located on the fender well behind the passengers seat. It's later than 1953. The most obvious tell is 52-53 models had the hinged front grill and thumb screws on the battery box covers. As long as the engine is good there's not much that can't be fixed easily. Pretty tough machines.

Glad you posted! I don't know that. Great info.

USMC Wrangler

So, in the wheel well, not on the tub right? Maybe I can sneak by there again in a few days.

M38A1Driver

Is this just on the m38? Do they still have any dash plaques?

The M38A1 does have a dash plate on the passenger side behind the panic bar. That plate contains military spec's, max gear speeds, shift patterns, lube info, military serial numbers, vehicle demensions for shipping, etc.

M38A1Driver

The M38A1 does have a dash plate on the passenger side behind the panic bar. That plate contains military spec's, max gear speeds, shift patterns, lube info, military serial numbers, vehicle demensions for shipping, etc.

Here's a pic of the data plate on the dash, I don't have one of the plate behind the seat for you.

20151113_083334.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Great! I'll take a look. Thanks for the education!

Another question if you don't mind. I see in your pic, just like the one I posted, there are three shifters on the floor. I understand the longest would be the transmission and at least one of the shorter ones would be the t-case. Is the third one for the t-case as well or is that for something else?

Top Bottom