Sedona, AZ for the day - My first time out west.

JavaCowboy

Super photos, looks like a great place to wheel.

Attachments

• DSC_0644.jpg
    DSC_0644.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0645.jpg
    DSC_0645.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0646.jpg
    DSC_0646.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 3

JKRazz

If I'm not deployed overseas....the family and I would love to do a trip to AZ for some wheeling and friend making fun. --Razz

Krieger

Sedona is one of the most fun places to wheel. I really enjoy the trails, but the only thing is when the jeep tours
start going on, some of the guys driving can be aggressive and rude....but it's their job... what are you going to do? Still a great place, I will be going back. I recommend Sedona to anybody, experienced or not, there is a trail for everyone.

Attachments

• image-2620460725.jpg
    image-2620460725.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

GCM 2

Sedona is one of the most fun places to wheel. I really enjoy the trails, but the only thing is when the jeep tours
start going on, some of the guys driving can be aggressive and rude....but it's their job... what are you going to do? Still a great place, I will be going back. I recommend Sedona to anybody, experienced or not, there is a trail for everyone.

Yep, there has been a lot of animosity over the years with the Jeep tours (one in particular) and all the other jeepers doing it for free. A woman who owns one has been up front about "jeep tours should really be the only one's authorized to utilize the trails" The few times she has been challenged/cornered on this theory, it was apparent to all that it was strictly in a monetary stance she was taking.

Sedona is a must see for anyone traveling thru our state!!

Mücke76

:shock::shock:
wow very cool pics,

damn i need to have a "one year vacation",
so many location i wanna see :brows::rock::brows:

:standing wave: Alex

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Ahhh Sedona.. One of my favorite places in the West. Looks like there's alot energy to do a group trip. Say the word and I'm in:yup:

Trail JK

Sedona how Beautiful! Great pics! Haven't been there myself yet. I'll need to make a trip out there this year.

Nicholas

I'm down for a Sedona trip! Years ago I spent a day in Sedona hiking around, would love to revisit it again.

firecrew1

glad to hear you liked the soldiers pass trail in sedona. broken arrow is a great trail if you go first thing in the morning and make it to chicken point when the sun comes up. other than that there are to many jeep tours going on the trail. if you want a nice trail try the "oak creek homestead trail" its before you get to red rock state park on the right side of 89. it takes you through some more remote areas and drops down a narrow shelf road to oak creek which is nice to take family pets and when there is enough water the rope swing is fun as well. greasy spoon is another popular one. if you want a great view of sedona/verde go out 179 to Beaverhead flatts road which will be on the right coming from oak creek village. follow it down a little way(1-2.5 miles at most) and on your right will be F.S. road 120 follow that to the top of the mountain which is actually an ancient volcano i believe its called "horse mountain shield volcano" erupted 15 million years ago. and one more since your around prescott take senator highway to crown king. its not difficult except in snow but its really remote and just a nice drive.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
firecrew1 said:
glad to hear you liked the soldiers pass trail in sedona. broken arrow is a great trail if you go first thing in the morning and make it to chicken point when the sun comes up. other than that there are to many jeep tours going on the trail. if you want a nice trail try the "oak creek homestead trail" its before you get to red rock state park on the right side of 89. it takes you through some more remote areas and drops down a narrow shelf road to oak creek which is nice to take family pets and when there is enough water the rope swing is fun as well. greasy spoon is another popular one. if you want a great view of sedona/verde go out 179 to Beaverhead flatts road which will be on the right coming from oak creek village. follow it down a little way(1-2.5 miles at most) and on your right will be F.S. road 120 follow that to the top of the mountain which is actually an ancient volcano i believe its called "horse mountain shield volcano" erupted 15 million years ago. and one more since your around prescott take senator highway to crown king. its not difficult except in snow but its really remote and just a nice drive.

I want to run the senator hwy to crown king someday. I just need to get a trail map of the area.

firecrew1

if you would like a map go over off of cortez st. in prescott to the forest service office (little green building easy to miss) the ladies in there are great and just tell them you would like a pnf map it has all of the f.S roads in it. senator highway to ck was marked by road signs last time i did it. you will pass a place called palace station which is a pretty cool wagon stop from the old days. definitely a good drive but long (about 33miles) of offroad so if you go dont plan on anything else that day

highoctane

Caught the Bug
firecrew1 said:
if you would like a map go over off of cortez st. in prescott to the forest service office (little green building easy to miss) the ladies in there are great and just tell them you would like a pnf map it has all of the f.S roads in it. senator highway to ck was marked by road signs last time i did it. you will pass a place called palace station which is a pretty cool wagon stop from the old days. definitely a good drive but long (about 33miles) of offroad so if you go dont plan on anything else that day

Cool thanks! I'll head over there this week and pick one up. 33 miles would make a nice day on the trails.

firecrew1

Cool thanks! I'll head over there this week and pick one up. 33 miles would make a nice day on the trails.

your welcome.:D it should be great this time of year. havent done it for a while but i know that we have started brushing over in that area in preparation for this fire season so there may be equip. out there.

Buddy22

Welcome to az lOOKED like you had a awesome trip.:beer:
Well I just moved to Prescott Valley, AZ from Watkins Glen, NY on Fri and was dying to get out on a trail, so I made the short and VERY scenic drive through the Prescott National Forest, through Jerome, and up to Sedona to run Soldiers Trail. Pretty easy but very scenic trail with some 4 rated climbs that are optional and shoot off the main trail(still part of the trail). I am STOKED to be out here, and am still in awe at how gorgeous the scenery was through the Prescott Forest, and Red Rock Park in Sedona. I can say I will never grow tired of living out here! On to the pics!

A few pics of the drive over Mingus Mountain in the Prescott Forest

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Trail head sign, trail head is in the middle of a VERY nice housing community, not used to that!

IMG_0892.jpg

And here's a few pics from the trail.

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

htweelz

My family went there in 2010 on vacation and we had a blast. Such a beautiful area. We all want to go back.

Prime8

Went to middle school and high school in Flagstaff, then spent 6 years at ASU in phoenix. My wife and I sure miss AZ. For more reasons than just wheeling, although that's a big part of it! Bulldog canyon just outside phoenix is a good run. We moved before I could go, but I had several ghost town wheeling runs I wanted to go on. There's an AZ wheeling book, not sure of the title, that's really informative.

Top Bottom