Tire shop recommendation in Houston?

LCulver

Hello all. This is my first post although I have been a lurker for a while. I am having trouble finding a tire shop that is capable/willing to mount 315/70/17 tires on my stock 2010 JKU wheels. When I call they either don't have the machines to balance a tire that size or some are not willing to put this tire on the stock rims since they run 7.5" wide and the tire calls for at least 8". I know a lot of people in the area that run this same set up so I assume it can be done. Any suggestions on where to go for here in the Houston area?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would check and see if there is a discount tire in your area. They should be able to mount it for you. If not then usually smaller shops are willing to do it

WJCO

Meme King
Hello all. This is my first post although I have been a lurker for a while. I am having trouble finding a tire shop that is capable/willing to mount 315/70/17 tires on my stock 2010 JKU wheels. When I call they either don't have the machines to balance a tire that size or some are not willing to put this tire on the stock rims since they run 7.5" wide and the tire calls for at least 8". I know a lot of people in the area that run this same set up so I assume it can be done. Any suggestions on where to go for here in the Houston area?

Someone should be able to do that. As you said, that's a common setup. I would try to find smaller independent shops as opposed to large chain stores. The bigger stores don't want the liability. Welcome to WAL.

jeeeep

Hooked

Discount tire will not mount 315's on stock wheels, the stock wheels are narrower than the recommended width. As mentioned, you'll have better luck trying a smaller shop

tdougherty81

I believe BIGTEX Tire & Offroad in Kingwood will do it.

Jackal01

Discount tire will not mount 315's on stock wheels, the stock wheels are narrower than the recommended width. As mentioned, you'll have better luck trying a smaller shop

Not true for me. Discount Tire mounted 315/70/17 Duratracs on my stock wheels. Where in Houston are you?

I would look at Discount Tire. Never had a problem (going on 5th vehicle in 15 years, many over sized tires). They will always get my money when it comes to tires.

Last edited:

tdougherty81

Not true for me. Discount Tire mounted 315/70/17 Duratracs on my stock wheels. Where in Houston are you?

I would look at Discount Tire. Never had a problem. They will always get my money when it comes to tires.

I agree, never had an issue with Discount Tires on any of my vehicles. They will always get my money.

jeeeep

Hooked
no issues with discount tire, i've done business with discount for a lot of years never had any issues.
i know when my buddy took his 35s (he bought from some online seller) to get them mounted on my stock rims they turned him away. he went to a smaller local shop that mounted the tires.
question to the OP, did you buy your tires at Discount Tire?

LCulver

no issues with discount tire, i've done business with discount for a lot of years never had any issues.
i know when my buddy took his 35s (he bought from some online seller) to get them mounted on my stock rims they turned him away. he went to a smaller local shop that mounted the tires.
question to the OP, did you buy your tires at Discount Tire?

I bought my tires on discount tire direct (their online website). I live in Copperfield on the Northwest side. I've called a couple a couple discounts in the area and one told me the rim is 1/2" too skinny to mount the tires and for liability reasons they wont do it. The other told me to come on down no problem. Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:

Jackal01

I bought my tires on discount tire direct (their online website). I live in Copperfield on the Northwest side. I've called a couple a couple discounts in the area and one told me the rim is 1/2" too skinny to mount the tires and for liability reasons they wont do it. The other told me to come on down no problem. Thanks for all the info.

If you need another one the Tomball location did mine. I have always gone there.

LCulver

Update: I was able to find an independent tire shop that mounted my 35s on the stock rims with no problem. Thanks for all the information. Here's the final product. :thumb:

Everything is running smooth except for one slight issue. When I decelerate (also when accelerating but not quite as bad), at ~1000 rpm and ~10-15 mph I get a slight vibration/sound from the front end that I can feel in the pedals (no noticeable shaking of the steering wheel or front end). The best way I can describe it is the way the inside of a vehicle reverberates when the windows are cracked. I will be getting the alignment Monday so I'm hoping this will resolve the issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Proud to be a part of this board now.

Attachments

• 0110161633-1.jpg
    0110161633-1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

LCulver

I am going to try and drive it like normal for a while to see if the system will adapt to the new set up (if this is a shift point issue). Otherwise, I may be looking into investing a ProCal or something of the sort. BTW, Texas Quality Tire and Rims was the shop that did my tires.

Top Bottom