Elliott's Monster 4.1L Swap Thread

jelliott076

As I mentioned awhile ago my Pro/SuperCharged 3.8L has been degraging across the board. The stock 3.8L with 5.13's used to be awesome until I decided to start adding extra mod's (plus the ProRock 6the0's with 5.38's) that have drained horses. It's ability to climb even the lightest of grades is next to impossible without living in 2nd or 3rd gear. So since I'm tired of looking for ways to polish the 3.8L turd, I've decided to swap the damn thing out.
I know the question will be asked, "why aren't you just putting a L-class V-8 in it?". Since I am essentially putting in the same engine, I am alleviating the issue of buying all new components. The PSC Steering, Super Charger, ARB Compressor and most importantly my upgraded Barney Purple 42LRE Transmission will swap straight over.

ATT_1453137654910_image_19342 (1).jpg
This old guy is getting yanked out and making way for something that will look like this:

505 Performance 4.1L pic.jpg
This is a pic I nabbed off of 505 Performance's site, but this is the same complete engine that will be going in.

ATT_1453137632033_image_19345.jpg
The new arms are a bit beefier (technical term)

image_19343.jpg
Higher Stroke Crank and Concave Piston Heads.

More photos to come as the R&R takes place.

jelliott076

Oh...yeah 300+horses out of the box. The techs are checking my Super Charger with the 'stock' 6PSI pulley to see how much boost I'm getting. There's a good chance I'm going to be pulling 400 ponies on this thing, but then I am overly optimistic.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would seriously reconsider. 505 is junk and have a ton of issues. Would hate for you to spend that much for something that won't last.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I mentioned awhile ago my Pro/SuperCharged 3.8L has been degraging across the board. The stock 3.8L with 5.13's used to be awesome until I decided to start adding extra mod's (plus the ProRock 6the0's with 5.38's) that have drained horses. It's ability to climb even the lightest of grades is next to impossible without living in 2nd or 3rd gear. So since I'm tired of looking for ways to polish the 3.8L turd, I've decided to swap the damn thing out.
I know the question will be asked, "why aren't you just putting a L-class V-8 in it?". Since I am essentially putting in the same engine, I am alleviating the issue of buying all new components. The PSC Steering, Super Charger, ARB Compressor and most importantly my upgraded Barney Purple 42LRE Transmission will swap straight over.

More photos to come as the R&R takes place.

Are you doing all the work yourself?

Can't wait to see your Jeep when it's all done :thumb:

jelliott076

I would seriously reconsider. 505 is junk and have a ton of issues. Would hate for you to spend that much for something that won't last.

Dammit Adam! don't tell me that now! :doh: The ball is already rolling and they're starting the R&R. I'm praying for the best here and have only heard good things about their performance. Anything has got to be better than what I'm dealing with now, but I will talk with them before we get to deep into it. I did read the BBB and Yelp reviews. Out of the hundred's plus customers there are a few crap...really crap reviews. :naw: The word of mouth and other reviews are good. Like I said we will see. I appreciate the info and will keep my eyes on this. Hope you're well bud!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dammit Adam! don't tell me that now! :doh: The ball is already rolling and they're starting the R&R. I'm praying for the best here and have only heard good things about their performance. Anything has got to be better than what I'm dealing with now, but I will talk with them before we get to deep into it. I did read the BBB and Yelp reviews. Out of the hundred's plus customers there are a few crap...really crap reviews. :naw: The word of mouth and other reviews are good. Like I said we will see. I appreciate the info and will keep my eyes on this. Hope you're well bud!

I didn't want to say anything because you're already committed to it but what Adam said is routed in truth. Everyone I know who's run a 505 has had nothing but problems and this includes Mel, Andrew Gorman and even the late Pete Trasborg. Hopefully you won't have any issues.

Which tranny? Bob...? he's good, still working at 7-11 and turning tricks.... oh..wait...:eek:

It's bullet proof man! Still running strong.:thumb:

:cheesy:

jelliott076

I didn't want to say anything because you're already committed to it but what Adam said is routed in truth. Everyone I know who's run a 505 has had nothing but problems and this includes Mel, Andrew Gorman and even the late Pete Trasborg. Hopefully you won't have any issues.

I'm gonna be the optimist. My buddy that sent me to 505's door had a great experience. I appreciate the head's up Eddie and will definitely stay on top of it as best I can.

Favor. Pm me and I can reply with my cell. Now I have a ton of questions best kept off public domain

Last edited:

cmireles

:cheesy:

What kind of issue are we talking about here? Up until now, I assumed the stroker kit was a good option because EVOTJ had it and I didn't know Mel had problems.

Top Bottom