Winch line? Synthetic replacement

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So for close to the same price...Classic Rope Master Pull vs Viking... you still go Viking line? MP second tier line line is about $150-175 more and the XD line is just crazy.

What I can tell you is that I have been using my standard Viking lines for a long time and so far, they're still getting the job done. Being as old and as used as they are, I keep thinking I'll need to replace them soon but that time has yet to come.

holliewood61

Well damn! That really is a great price. Seeing as how it's got a 2/5" (0.4") thickness and an 82' length, it's clearly a metric rope (most likely made in China) but if it works, it'd be a hell of a deal. I just might have to stop in at my local Tractor Supply store and give it a look just for kicks and giggles.

Yeah i assume it is actually made as 10mm and marketed as 2/5 to us, but for the price i dont think one could go wrong by purchasing it. I hate that they dont offer more than 82ft. That just isnt enough for my 8274.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah i assume it is actually made as 10mm and marketed as 2/5 to us, but for the price i dont think one could go wrong by purchasing it. I hate that they dont offer more than 82ft. That just isnt enough for my 8274.

LOL!! Well yeah it's not enough for an 8274 :crazyeyes:

For most modern winches, 80' of 10mm line will fill out the drum.

JAGS

Hooked
Rather than start a new thread, figured I'd bump this one. I'll be throwing a synthetic line on my Zeon soon. Just curious if there are pros and cons to 80ft vs 100ft at 3/8? Obviously length, but how often is it needed and does that mess with the pull at all for different length lines?

Thanks.

JAGS

Hooked
Rather than start a new thread, figured I'd bump this one. I'll be throwing a synthetic line on my Zeon soon. Just curious if there are pros and cons to 80ft vs 100ft at 3/8? Obviously length, but how often is it needed and does that mess with the pull at all for different length lines?

Thanks.

Bump^^^ anybody with thoughts/facts on 80ft vs 100ft synthetic line?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks.

Pros - you have a thicker rope that should be stronger.
Cons - you have 20' less rope.

Where the 20 extra feet is really nice to have is when you have to double up with a snatch block as you'll have more length to work with. How often you need it depends on the kind of trails you play on. For most people, I'm going to say it's not really needed. Of course, for the people who do really need it, they probably could use a thicker stronger rope too :crazyeyes:

Trail Bud

Hooked
Well damn! That really is a great price. Seeing as how it's got a 2/5" (0.4") thickness and an 82' length, it's clearly a metric rope (most likely made in China) but if it works, it'd be a hell of a deal. I just might have to stop in at my local Tractor Supply store and give it a look just for kicks and giggles.

If you like this let me know. I want a new winch line before we do Fordyce.
Mine's old, I'd hate to have one snap on one of the wall climbs.

JAGS

Hooked
Pros - you have a thicker rope that should be stronger.
Cons - you have 20' less rope.

Where the 20 extra feet is really nice to have is when you have to double up with a snatch block as you'll have more length to work with. How often you need it depends on the kind of trails you play on. For most people, I'm going to say it's not really needed. Of course, for the people who do really need it, they probably could use a thicker stronger rope too :crazyeyes:

Thanks for the info. It's all just insurance really. [emoji6]

Ddays

Hooked
So I just happened to be at Tractor Supply this afternoon and remembered this thread. I found the rope mentioned and the quality doesn't look too bad. No loose or frayed strands. The hook end however is a chintzy ass metal end fitting that unless removed would cut the rope end for sure. Even if it didn't cut the rope it would bend completely out of shape the first time it was used.The other end has a crimped end on it which would probably work out ok. I'm not a rope expert so I'll leave the photos for someone to comment on or if interested enough check it out at TS.

0124161155.jpg 0124161155a.jpg 0124161155b.jpg 0124161156.jpg

Trail Bud

Hooked
So I just happened to be at Tractor Supply this afternoon and remembered this thread. I found the rope mentioned and the quality doesn't look too bad. No loose or frayed strands. The hook end however is a chintzy ass metal end fitting that unless removed would cut the rope end for sure. Even if it didn't cut the rope it would bend completely out of shape the first time it was used.The other end has a crimped end on it which would probably work out ok. I'm not a rope expert so I'll leave the photos for someone to comment on or if interested enough check it out at TS.

View attachment 184333 View attachment 184334 View attachment 184337 View attachment 184338

Thanks for the update.
I've decided to go with a 100'
lenght in case a snatch block is needed.
I've had this situation a few times.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Like others, I too have had this question in mind for a couple of years. What is a good synthetic rope for a 9.5XP Warn winch (brand, size, length, etc)? I just haven't thrown it out there yet.

There are lots of good sub-questions to the conversation (at least for me).

Glad to hear Viking has been holding up with a lot of use, thanks for the info Eddie. That is the kind of info we need to hear about. Viking is now high on my list.

I am interested in hearing from more of those with real world experience that really use their winches.

----------------------------------------------------------

I saw the TractorSupply rope a few months ago and wondered if it was any kind of quality. It is a good price, but may be too good to be true. The winches make me think of harbor freight.

I know there are very few synthetic fibers that synthetic rope are made from. But that doesn't tell the whole story. I did a bunch of reading a while back, but it didn't really cover real world usage. And I can't remember most of what I read. Dyneema and spydura are two that are used. Dyneema sems to be used the most (Viking, Masterpull, Amsteel blue, others). I dont know if they are weaved the same, etc.though. I would not be surprised to find out that they are mostly the same. I know Masterpull pre-stretches the higher priced rope. That sounds like a good thing to me. But is it worth the premium? Is the rope going to get stretched like that with a good pull anyway?

Another thing to consider, where is your winch brake located? A lot are in the drum, and that is a concern for for synthetic fibers. But do you really need a heat sleeve for the drum? 150 degrees for dyneema isn't very high.

If you read Warn's rope info, it sounds more susceptible to UV damage, should be replaced regularly, and it was pricy (that is the Spydura user). But does it stand up to years of use.

Sorry for a long post.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I know Masterpull pre-stretches the higher priced rope. That sounds like a good thing to me. But is it worth the premium? Is the rope going to get stretched like that with a good pull anyway?

As far as this question goes, I believe the rope stretch is more so that all of the entire rope is stretched on the drum prior to a pull. That way when you do have to actually use the winch, the stretched rope layer on top doesn't pull into the looser coiled section below it on the drum and bind up or damage parts of the rope by pinching. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember reading.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
As far as this question goes, I believe the rope stretch is more so that all of the entire rope is stretched on the drum prior to a pull. That way when you do have to actually use the winch, the stretched rope layer on top doesn't pull into the looser coiled section below it on the drum and bind up or damage parts of the rope by pinching. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember reading.

I believe your correct on this part. Been a while since I read about.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies guys, Based off of where I currently wheel and how I imagine at least the next few years, It looks like I may just stick with an 80ft viking line. for a few reasons:
  • I am worried 100' or more will over fill the drum due to the larger gearbox on the 12k? (while the standard PowerPlant does come with 125' steel, Both the PowerPlantHD and PowerPlantHD 12k come with only 80' steel.)
  • I have not yet needed to use of a snatch block (but do LIKE the idea of being ready if needed)
  • While not Ideal, a Line extension/strap can be used in a pinch (most likely a strap due to the $150-$200 premium on 20' line extensions)
  • The 80' line costs less

Still not settled thought as the other side of the fence looks just as good...
  • The 12k PowerPlantHD would have more then enough pulling power for a JK even with the extra rope on the drum (if it fits?)
  • While I have not seen the need for a snatch block in my local wheeling areas, I DO plan on a few trips where a snatch block may come in handy (KOH, Colorado, Moab, Sierra Nevada Mountains, etc, with one trip already set in stone, and more in the works)
  • Using 1 solid line for recovery (as opposed to using a shackle to attach the winch line to a tow strap. Now 2 shackles and consequently 2 additional points of failure)
  • 100' line costs less then 80' line w/ a 20' extension, actually, 100' line costs less then 80' line w/ a tow strap also (but I already have a 30ft tow strap)

Last edited:

el_chupo_

I went through a lot of this when picking my new line as well, and was also between MasterPull, Viking, and the Warn Spydura, though I was also checking out Dominion Offroad's /Jeep Swags Technora line.

All are going to be in the same ball park, price wise. All (that I was looking at, I have a PowerPlant 9500) are made of 3/8",so they all easily cover the weight rating I needed.

I dont think there would be a loser among them, as all have good reviews from what I could find, but I ended up with a Warn Spydura, I think I had an Amazon GC that swayed me. Only one basic pull on it to help someone stuck, so no real review here.

I did just check on Amazon, and it looks like they have a returned item for sale at $260 instead of $330

I might end up grabbing that Tractor Supply line to cut in half and make a couple of extensions, and it would give me a chance to practice mending/splicing a synthetic line. Kris Splicing site has some good info, and also sells lines at what looks like a decent price too. http://www.krissplicing.com/vehicle-and-atv-winch-lines.php

JKbrick

Anyone have experience or opinions about these? Would a line with a coating to keep dirt out of it be necessary or are they easy to wash off? Getting ready to switch. I tried to screenshot these without the websites in the picture
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456001003.110546.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456001014.693187.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well I ordered my Viking winch line from quadratec, the only problem is, it doest say viking on it at all nor did it come with a Viking branded thimble. I contacted quadratec, and they insured me that it authetic... so I contacted viking just to make sure... I'm waiting on a reply from them probably tomorrow. But here is what I received from quadratec... $450 is a LOT for a non authetic winchline if that turns out to be the case...

Attachments

• 1462415152057.jpg
    1462415152057.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 1462415162007.jpg
    1462415162007.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 1462415170234.jpg
    1462415170234.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1462415181309.jpg
    1462415181309.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 1462415191227.jpg
    1462415191227.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Well I ordered my Viking winch line from quadratec, the only problem is, it doest say viking on it at all nor did it come with a Viking branded thimble. I contacted quadratec, and they insured me that it authetic... so I contacted viking just to make sure... I'm waiting on a reply from them probably tomorrow. But here is what I received from quadratec... $450 is a LOT for a non authetic winchline if that turns out to be the case...

Someone else just bought one, maybe they'll know. I think it was JAGS.

Top Bottom