Jeep Fender Flares

thenaivegamer

I am planning to purchase for my 1999 Wrangler SE. What brand should I go for? I am veering towards Bushwacker's. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

98tjsherry

I have always hear that bushwackers are to hard of a plastic. Never owned a set myself but a few friends did and they said just bumping a tree will make them crack.

WarriorJeep

I have bushwackers on my 85 bronco, I have smacked them on trees many times. The only time I broke one was when the ambient temperature was well below freezing

NavyJeeper

i wish metal cloaks weren't so damn expensive, definitely worth the price though, they are the perfect tube fenders for any rig.

Ddays

Hooked
The metal fenders look really nice but if you whack a tree with one they're gonna bend the tub....

NavyJeeper

The metal fenders look really nice but if you whack a tree with one they're gonna bend the tub....

but with the TJ having that extra piece of fender before getting to the plastic wouldn't it be good to just get rid of it altogether? at least with the metal cloaks you have the ability to take off the fender if things get really tight. if you guys know of some plastics that are the same type of design as say the Smittybilt XRC or something similar i would love to know. just want to get rid of the whole fender situation altogether but you gotta have something in california

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah I'll acknowledge that but the metal out on the end of the fenders will definitely push back instead of flex like the plastic will. I honestly like the metal better - guess it comes down to how you wheel.

NavyJeeper

Yeah I'll acknowledge that but the metal out on the end of the fenders will definitely push back instead of flex like the plastic will. I honestly like the metal better - guess it comes down to how you wheel.

I'm looking cause thats one of the next projects for my TJ, and i can't decide if i should go metal or plastic. I really can't find any plastics that would allow you to take off that extra metal piece like a lot of the metal tube fenders would...bummer

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
For those of us in Pennsylvania, and any other states that require wheel flares to extend as far, or farther than, your tires...

Any suggestions for flat wheel flares that can cover the wheels enough to pass PA inspection?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For those of us in Pennsylvania, and any other states that require wheel flares to extend as far, or farther than, your tires...

Any suggestions for flat wheel flares that can cover the wheels enough to pass PA inspection?

Been running my stock cut flares for a few years now with no issues.

Ddays

Hooked

There's been several threads regarding the Pa flare issue with inspection. Cliff notes version: get to know your local inspection guy - don't expect to go to a dealership and pass.
I just stopped at the shop I've been going to for 28 years and showed him my fender chop & asked him if I'd pass next month when I'm due.

1c.jpg

He told me to quit asking dumb questions.
It's all about your relationship with that guy, just like it is with most anything in life. This is the same guy that wanted to mount my beadlock wheels because they had never done a set before.
Again, these are supposed to be "not legal" here in PA. If you're really sweating the fender issue I'd say go with the Bushwacker flats. I ran those before I chopped mine and I think they offer the most coverage as far as flats go.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Been running my stock cut flares for a few years now with no issues.

There's been several threads regarding the Pa flare issue with inspection. Cliff notes version: get to know your local inspection guy - don't expect to go to a dealership and pass.
I just stopped at the shop I've been going to for 28 years and showed him my fender chop & asked him if I'd pass next month when I'm due.

View attachment 193991

He told me to quit asking dumb questions.
It's all about your relationship with that guy, just like it is with most anything in life. This is the same guy that wanted to mount my beadlock wheels because they had never done a set before.
Again, these are supposed to be "not legal" here in PA. If you're really sweating the fender issue I'd say go with the Bushwacker flats. I ran those before I chopped mine and I think they offer the most coverage as far as flats go.
Thanks fellas!

Top Bottom