Napalm's Billet Steel! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Picture Diary

Napalm

TOP CHANGE TUESDAY! Really though, it's been an insane Tuesday already.

So my story begins last Friday when I was surfing the web for a SpiderWebShade. I am a fan of Craigslist and always looking for a good deal and stumbled upon a nearly new Bestop Trektop NX in Twill for $800. Yes, TWILL! That interested me because you don't often see Twill tops for sale in Tejas and it's a soft top/material I've never ran but always been curious about. I emailed the guy and he stated it had some minor "trail damage" so he'd sell it to me for $700. Being that Bestop just upped there price and I know a new black diamond top was about $835, I decided what the heck. What's another top change?

So, I listed my factory top for sale and ended up selling it pretty quickly.

We all met today and I sold my factory top and then met the other guy for my prized and highly anticipated Twill TrekTop. He came and ended up not have two of the rear bow brackets and one of the screws. He said the the top had been in storage and that he didn't know where they were. He took $100 off, so I drove away with a $600 TrekTop NX Twill! He also called Bestop and had them overnight the parts to my house. Good guy!

Now the interesting part starts. I came home topless with the new top in the rear of my Jeep. Somehow, I have lost the back window and tailgate bar. It either flew out, was stolen, or left there. (Although I am 99.9% sure I wouldn't leave it sitting in the middle of an open parking lot)

Needless to say, I placed a call into the folks at Bestop and they had me a Twill back window and a tailgate bar on order quickly. But then I find out they are MADE TO ORDER(4week delivery time)

I pleaded with Bestop in hopes that they can get one out sooner due to not having a back window at all now. So, we will see.

What a day. Here's some photos!
Steel rocking full nudity for the first time this year until some parts come in
IMG_1710.jpg
The "trail damage" just this scratch and the windows are scratched. Not as bad as I expected.
IMG_1711.jpg
The Twill top. It's badly dirty and will get a good cleaning when I can put it on the Jeep.
IMG_1712.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You'll love the twill. It's a much better looking material, and IMO a little quieter. I just picked up an almost brand new factory top, and I'm waiting on a couple of brackets it was missing. I wanted a SuperTop NX Twill, but for $325.00, I couldn't turn it down.

GraniteCrystal

Nice! What number is this for you when it comes to tops? You need to make a calendar. "June Steel is running a MOPAR soft top, October Steel is running a BestTop NX Twill,..."

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Nice score!! :thumb: I want a twill replacement top for the factory frame by summer time. I have to sell my black diamond top left over from our Sahara.

Napalm

Awesome score! 35's by the weekend?

Thanks! No way; that's next weekend :)

You'll love the twill. It's a much better looking material, and IMO a little quieter. I just picked up an almost brand new factory top, and I'm waiting on a couple of brackets it was missing. I wanted a SuperTop NX Twill, but for $325.00, I couldn't turn it down.

I'm excited about it. Just messing with it, I can tell that it's definitely huge step above the vinyl black diamond.

Love my twill NX, but love the price you paid even more! :eek:

I now understand why all the twill guys love the twill. It's definitely awesome. And the price? I couldn't resist! Even with the scratch, it's less than half off the retail price.

Nice! What number is this for you when it comes to tops? You need to make a calendar. "June Steel is running a MOPAR soft top, October Steel is running a BestTop NX Twill,..."

With Steel and Onyx combined, I could make it until atleast July. This isn't a bad idea. This makes number four in order of:
Mopar Hard Top
Bestop TrekTop NX Black Diamond
Mopar factory Soft top
Bestop TrekTop NX Black Twill

:)

Always an adventure with Steel isn't it?

Can't wait to see it all put together brother, hopefully they get the parts out to you quickly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Man, it was indeed that. Still worth it in my opinion though.

Nice score!! :thumb: I want a twill replacement top for the factory frame by summer time. I have to sell my black diamond top left over from our Sahara.

You'll definitely be pleased. Even with this top as dirty as it is, I'm still shocked at how nice it is! I can't wait to get it cleaned up and on the Jeep. Come on Bestop!!!!

Good score on the Trektop Nathan can't wait to see it complete and on Steel

Thanks David! I can't wait either!

Just waiting on Bestop at this point. They are quoting me three to four weeks on a twill rear window. I had no idea these were made to order! Hopefully they will be able to get me one sooner with the unpredictable Texas weather.

As far as the brackets, hopefully this guy comes through and sticks to his word about having Bestop send them to me. That way I can atleast get the Bikini on!

Napalm

Spoke with Bestop today. Turns out the person I bought the top from came through and purchased me two rear bow brackets and one 75mm knob.

Bad news is - These brackets are also a made to order product. [emoji85]

Good news is - Bestop told me that everything including the new Twill back window and tailgate bar will be ready to ship Monday, the 27th. They told me everything would be coming overnight. Fingers crossed. I love Bestop!

Well thank if it like this you could always fabricate something temporary like say a tarp or something to repel the rain and such things like that

There is a slight chance on Monday so we will see what happens..

good deal ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes sir! Glad it was able to pan out as planned.

Nathan, we are all here to help you with your top swapping problem. The first step is to accept you have a problem, then...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sounds like a good deal. [emoji106]

I do have a problem. I get settled with one thing and find a better deal on something different. Maybe I should just buy all three tops and just have them all for whatever hat I'm wanting to wear that day! Hah!

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Napalm

Bestop came through in a pinch and we now have a top!
IMG_1777.jpg

Big shout out to Bestop for doing amazing work. After telling them my situation and originally having a 3-4 week delay on parts, they got everything too me within a week. Overnight shipping on everything! Thanks Bestop!

Now, time to install a top :)

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Bestop came through in a pinch and we now have a top!
View attachment 246267

Big shout out to Bestop for doing amazing work. After telling them my situation and originally having a 3-4 week delay on parts, they got everything too me within a week. Overnight shipping on everything! Thanks Bestop!

Now, time to install a top :)

I need to put mine back on. Had to put the hardtop on to move it. Missing the soft top right now. Lol.

Napalm

The Bestop TrekTop NX Twill is installed :) here are a few quick shots.
IMG_1782.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1784.jpg

The top and windows still need a good cleaning. More hi res pictures to come after that! Can't wait to test drive it.

Top Bottom