V8 in a TJ

aribelin

A V8 LS swap has been done countless times, heck, I even have one :)

027eca5c34645f555ebc8ac3d557a69c.jpg

But...it's a ton of work and money, just finishing mine (L96/6L80) that was started the first week of February.

holliewood61

Id do an ls/4l60. You can use the front half of a chevy t case and the rear half of your jeep t case to keep your speed sensor

LoganTheSnowman

A V8 LS swap has been done countless times, heck, I even have one :)

027eca5c34645f555ebc8ac3d557a69c.jpg

But...it's a ton of work and money, just finishing mine (L96/6L80) that was started the first week of February.

If you don't mind my asking, around what did you spend? Going to have to replace my 4.0 soon, it's at 250k miles, and is slowly going downhill so I'm indecisive about whether to just drop another 4.0 in it, and maybe go with a stroker or a v8 swap, though I'd prefer the v8. In college, so budgeting will be the major decision factor for me. Planning on going to talk to a shop near me that I've heard great things about to get quotes but like to check here too!:) Clean engine compartment by the way lol

geberhard

Douchebag
Most shops will run 10K plus for the swap so not for the faint of heart (or wallet). I have friends that did the Magnum V8 (5.9ers) and LS swaps on a budget. a couple bought complete camaro and firebirds and parted out the rigs to make their money back. I parted out a Camaro for teh LS1 and t56 for my wife's Firebird, so almost free, but dealing with selling parts and CL people :)

My $02cents if you are in a budget go with the 4.0 or plan a stroker, and keep your jeep reliable while you go to school. Bigger engine also ads weight and more breaking of other stuff ;)

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't waste the money. Just put a stroker kit in a the straight 6, it's super fast and reliable

I've looked at the stroker, there is one company that sells a 4.6L stroker that puts out 260hp but requires you to run the high octane gas. I just don't want to pay more for gas but having a "strong" motor is appealing. The more this costs the longer it will be till I get a ProRock for my JK, decisions, decisions.
What motor did EVO TJ have?

FastZach

I've looked at the stroker, there is one company that sells a 4.6L stroker that puts out 260hp but requires you to run the high octane gas. I just don't want to pay more for gas but having a "strong" motor is appealing. The more this costs the longer it will be till I get a ProRock for my JK, decisions, decisions.
What motor did EVO TJ have?

I have a Cherokee with a 4.6L stroker and I would not recommend. Not a huge power difference and a pain to keep it cool.

aribelin

If you don't mind my asking, around what did you spend? Going to have to replace my 4.0 soon, it's at 250k miles, and is slowly going downhill so I'm indecisive about whether to just drop another 4.0 in it, and maybe go with a stroker or a v8 swap, though I'd prefer the v8. In college, so budgeting will be the major decision factor for me. Planning on going to talk to a shop near me that I've heard great things about to get quotes but like to check here too!:) Clean engine compartment by the way lol

I'm well north of $12K, but I've spent a bunch at Campbell Racing for custom fabrication work because my Jeep was far from factory when I started. Shannon Campbell custom fabbed my y-pipe and it is a work of art.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I'm well north of $12K, but I've spent a bunch at Campbell Racing for custom fabrication work because my Jeep was far from factory when I started. Shannon Campbell custom fabbed my y-pipe and it is a work of art.

I bet, his new buggy they built gave me a hard on. They have mad skills..,

Post some pictures

Top Bottom