Harbor Freight 440lb Electric Hoist - Leaving Hardtop up

Jknewbi

Just ordered the rancor lift[emoji106]. After lifting it off and then back on myself last time... No more of that lol.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Picked up my Racor lift today. I ended up ordering from Home Depot for $127 plus tax. I have 9 feet to the bottom of the trusses in my garage so I want to mount the lift above them to maximize head room. I added (8) 2x4x84 studs, a box of nails and two 1000lb motor cycle straps.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457834459.858646.jpg
Pulled the Jeep in, marked locations on the floor and assembled the rack.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457834552.996274.jpg
Sistered the studs and used a plumb bob to locate them from the floor to above the trusses. Toe nailed them into place.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457834575.997440.jpg
Mounted one side of the lift and ran into a clearance problem with the gearbox and truss when mounting the other side. I will have to shift the whole assembly over a few inches but it will have to wait until tomorrow. The wife has the wine poured and is starting without me. [emoji15]
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457835167.385334.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
After a few glasses of wine and some dinner, I found myself starring at my clearance issue, pathetic right? What I noticed was that the gearbox could be mounted inside the bracket instead of outside as the instructions "suggest". [emoji6] time to sleep on it!

This morning I checked a couple of things to make sure my new plan would work and finished mounting the second rail. As others have mentioned the hardware that comes with this kit is not the best! I twisted the heads off of a couple of the lag screws.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457893707.610617.jpg
I then mounted the gearbox on the inside of the bracket and test fit the winding bar and lock.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457894194.869373.jpg
To get the gearbox mounted I had to file 1/16" from the bracket stiffener so the holes would line up. It's probably like that to keep you from mounting the gearbox on the wrong side. [emoji51]
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457894454.619430.jpg
Then I had to alter the lock bracket, spring ball set screw and spring, because the assembly would catch on the winder driver and preventing locking. I simply filed down the bracket and screw then cut 25% of the spring away. Now it all works!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457894881.271969.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457894904.807665.jpg
Time to attach the platform, level & test.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457895073.802081.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457895155.524805.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457895178.776416.jpg
With the kids Liberty in its normal spot.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457895245.077287.jpg
With the top hanging I have a little more than 6' so for me I can walk under without worrying about bumping my head. All in, I have $180 invested and would do it again! Now if it would just stop raining! [emoji20]

japatton

Nice!! I forgot to mention that I used heavy duty lag bolts instead of the bolts included with the kit. You had a lot of little issues that I didn't. Strange, I wonder if I got lucky for once!! :) in going to change out the eye bolts with a shorter set to gain a little more height, I think. Or, cut the included eye bolts and rethread them.

Jk909

Anybody try a couple snatch blocks with their winch to lift it? After its up it could be secured with some tie downs

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Nice!! I forgot to mention that I used heavy duty lag bolts instead of the bolts included with the kit. You had a lot of little issues that I didn't. Strange, I wonder if I got lucky for once!! :) in going to change out the eye bolts with a shorter set to gain a little more height, I think. Or, cut the included eye bolts and rethread them.

Thanks! Others had mentioned that the hardware was low quality so I was't surprised when a few of the heads twisted off. I probably should have predrilled the holes. [emoji33] The other issues had to do with truss clearance that could have been avoided with a bit more layout and dry fit. In the end it works well and I feel that the top is safe and secure! Now, if we could get some nice days I would like to use it! Thanks again for the pictures and tips!

Chris

Top Bottom