Colorado - Durango (Purgatory Mountain Resort) July 2016

WJCO

Meme King
Our trip is getting closer. I just read this morning that Colorado just got even more snow dumped on it. I am guessing that this is going to severely hinder some of the paces we want to go especially seeing that Durango got 224 inches of snow. Thats like 20ft of snow. How does it affect trail openings ?

Randy

Probably won't be open.

WJCO

Meme King
EDIT: I looked further back on this at the dates you will be going. Wait till about 2 weeks before you go and call the forest service or local government office in that area. They will have a good idea of trail openings closer to the date.

jeeeep

Hooked
Our trip is getting closer. I just read this morning that Colorado just got even more snow dumped on it. I am guessing that this is going to severely hinder some of the paces we want to go especially seeing that Durango got 224 inches of snow. Thats like 20ft of snow. How does it affect trail openings ?

Randy

that 224 may be the accumulation total year-to-date. as mentioned check with the Department of Transportation or forest service for the areas you're looking to go into they can give you better updated info about a week before you go. it doesn't take too many warm days to melt it off pretty quick. if you're fishing the only thing you really have to watch for is that water is going to be damn cold and if the levels are high don't fall in. be sure to take warm clothing jackets, goid shoes/boots etc... because the weather changes and you want to be prepared.
I always pack my Sorels even in the summer, I've been up fishing and got caught in freak snow and hail storms and temperature drops to less than 40 so always glad to have warm boots and a warm coat

WJCO

Meme King

Randy

that 224 may be the accumulation total year-to-date. as mentioned check with the Department of Transportation or forest service for the areas you're looking to go into they can give you better updated info about a week before you go. it doesn't take too many warm days to melt it off pretty quick. if you're fishing the only thing you really have to watch for is that water is going to be damn cold and if the levels are high don't fall in. be sure to take warm clothing jackets, goid shoes/boots etc... because the weather changes and you want to be prepared.
I always pack my Sorels even in the summer, I've been up fishing and got caught in freak snow and hail storms and temperature drops to less than 40 so always glad to have warm boots and a warm coat

Here's another site I use: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap...ayPart=E&year=2016&month=4&day=17&monthPart=E

Just zoom in on the map where you want to look for snow depth. jeeeep is probably right, 224 inches is most likely year-to-date. I backpack in an area that has a wind-deposited drift that gets over 20 feet every year, but not in one storm. That road I talk off opens in mid-July usually. It's at about 11000 ft elevation though.

rla1022

Getting Close - Jeep Badge Question

So we are getting close tour trip. It looks like we are going to hit some trails in Sedona, Moab and Durango. Does anyone have experience with the Jeep Badge program ? Have you successfully gotten the badges ?

r

tae73

I would suggest one day taking the narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton and back. Its a great releaxing ride with great views of the river and mountains. The train drops you off in Silverton to eat lunch and explore a the shops and ride the train back to Durango or bus back.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
So we are getting close tour trip. It looks like we are going to hit some trails in Sedona, Moab and Durango. Does anyone have experience with the Jeep Badge program ? Have you successfully gotten the badges ?

r

I have a bunch of them

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463529650.136437.jpg

They usually take a few months to show up.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I would suggest one day taking the narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton and back. Its a great releaxing ride with great views of the river and mountains. The train drops you off in Silverton to eat lunch and explore a the shops and ride the train back to Durango or bus back.

I wouldn't. IF you want to take the train I would only do it one way. It's about 4 hours one way and is slow, bumpy and smokey. You will see a lot more keeping and be free.
I grew up at Purgatory and have skied there hundreds of times. I love it and hopefully you will too

Angry Aussie

I wouldn't. IF you want to take the train I would only do it one way. It's about 4 hours one way and is slow, bumpy and smokey. You will see a lot more keeping and be free.
I grew up at Purgatory and have skied there hundreds of times. I love it and hopefully you will too

I'm with him. Only take it up and do the shuttle back. The 4 hour ride down sucks. The 4 hours up there is all you need. If you do take it, when the trip starts wait 20 or 30 minutes before you try to go get drinks and snacks the line right off the bat is really long.

rla1022

Southwest Heat Wave

Hey guys, what do we do / should we do to prepare for driving in 110 Heat next Saturday. The night portion of our from the Dallas area will be not as worried. But the next morning we are going to be driving from about Tucumcari or Santa Rosa , NM to Cherry Arizona. 8 Hours at 110+ degrees? Any tips and tricks. Clearly bottles of water for the passengers, but what about the Jeep?

Randy

check your coolant levels before you leave and take extra with you. Keep a close eye on the temp gauge, If you have a way to monitor your transmission temps do that as well

303jkpatriot

From Bridal Falls on down its super easy, really almost more of a dirt road at that point and quite a bit wider than the rest of the switchbacks above. The falls are worth seeing for sure so I would say if you are in Telluride its worth the short drive up!

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
From Bridal Falls on down its super easy, really almost more of a dirt road at that point and quite a bit wider than the rest of the switchbacks above. The falls are worth seeing for sure so I would say if you are in Telluride its worth the short drive up!

Ditto. ^^^
Very easy

Top Bottom