Almost Seized tailgate

Irish Pirate

My 2001 Tailgate will barely move. It takes 2 hands and everything I've got to open and close the darn thing.

I've sprayed the exterior of the hinges and worked them with everything from pb blaster to lithium grease to wd40.

I've heard a few people say to drill a small hole in the outer casing of the hinges to spray the inside., I've been thinking about trying that.

Do you guys have any other suggestions to get my tailgate working again.

Thanks

jeff_in_rc

You could try that but be sure you seal it up when done other than that I would say might be time for new hinges.

Or if your really adventurous I wonder if you can knock the hinge pins out and clean them up and re-install.

2012JKBEN

take a small drill bit and go in the center of the hinge on the body and drill it to the pin on bottom and top that should get the crap outta the hinge and allow you to get more lube in there then just take rtv and seal it back up

FLKEYSJK

When I had my TJ I had the same problem but not quite that bad, I ended up replacing the hinges because nothing else seemed to work

Irish Pirate

Thanks for the input. Gonna try drilling it tomorrow. If that doesn't work maybe I'll just breakdown and get poison Spyder tailgate. Ha

Top Bottom