PR44 vs. Junkyard Superduty Axle

kyle521

The cost benefit of doing junkyard 60s is if you, or a good friend, have the knowledge and ability to build them. If you are paying a shop to build them, it makes no sense. Go with new crate axles

Havoc40

I'll be doing axles hopefully within the year, and was seriously thinking about going the junkyard route. Time is my biggest problem so I'm just going to buy ProRocks. Honestly, I'll almost be embarrassed to admit I didn't go through with junkyards lol

jkwebbie

I already have a Dynatrac PR80 on order, and will be ordering the XD60 front likely next week when everyone is back from KOH. It just seemed from reading a few junkyard axle threads that the Artec kit did not include a way to retain abs tone rings and wheel speed sensors.

What Grubb said. They sell the tone rings separate, they don't come with the trusses, but I think they are like $60 or so more which isn't bad lol. And there is a way to retain the factory abs, just call Artec, they know all this lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be doing axles hopefully within the year, and was seriously thinking about going the junkyard route. Time is my biggest problem so I'm just going to buy ProRocks. Honestly, I'll almost be embarrassed to admit I didn't go through with junkyards lol

Nothing to be embarrassed about getting a brand new axle that has way better clearance, a much stronger differential housing that will mitigate deflection, bolts right up and is ready to go AND comes with a warranty.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

I feel MUCH better going with a fully assembled front axle. I am on the other end of the spectrum, I would feel embarrassed driving around with my new JK equipped with junkyard axles.

Armydog

Nothing to be embarrassed about getting a brand new axle that has way better clearance, a much stronger differential housing that will mitigate deflection, bolts right up and is ready to go AND comes with a warranty.

Jealous, wish I had to be embarrassed because I had a set of awesome under my jeep

jkwebbie

I mean understand everyone going with the Drynatracs because of all that and keep saying stuff about a warranty, but if my memory is correct, isn't it only a year? Don't get me wrong, its awesome that it comes with a warranty, but I wouldn't make that big of a deal about it since its only 1 year. Now if it was like 5 years or something, then to me, it would probably be worth the extra cost.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I mean understand everyone going with the Drynatracs because of all that and keep saying stuff about a warranty, but if my memory is correct, isn't it only a year? Don't get me wrong, its awesome that it comes with a warranty, but I wouldn't make that big of a deal about it since its only 1 year. Now if it was like 5 years or something, then to me, it would probably be worth the extra cost.

From rumors that I have heard, Dynatrac has not received a broken Axle housing yet, but I could be totally wrong. I would totally ask anyone to call me out on that. It makes me believe that the axle housings are so good that they get so few returns for warranty. Also, I wonder if they would even enforce the 1 year expiration given the nature at which Dynatrac is customer service oriented. Things to think about during your decision as to whether to go junkyard or Dynatrac.

jkwebbie

From rumors that I have heard, Dynatrac has not received a broken Axle housing yet, but I could be totally wrong. I would totally ask anyone to call me out on that. It makes me believe that the axle housings are so good that they get so few returns for warranty. Also, I wonder if they would even enforce the 1 year expiration given the nature at which Dynatrac is customer service oriented. Things to think about during your decision as to whether to go junkyard or Dynatrac.

I've already made my decision to go with the junkyard tons. I'm paying half the price to get the same thing, and that includes me getting new beadlock wheels. To me, its a no brainer because I can do like 90% of the work on the axles and not have to pay labor. Plus, I don't want to be like everyone else. There's nothing wrong with people going with Dynatracs, but I would rather build it myself and get the same results. Yea I won't have the same amount of ground clearance or the strength, but I live on the east coast, so I'm not going to be going fast enough to wear I would bend a tub or something like you guys on the West coast that like to bomb through the dessert. I'm not saying I can't break the junkyards, but I highly doubt I will with my driving style

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I've already made my decision to go with the junkyard tons. I'm paying half the price to get the same thing, and that includes me getting new beadlock wheels. To me, its a no brainer because I can do like 90% of the work on the axles and not have to pay labor. Plus, I don't want to be like everyone else. There's nothing wrong with people going with Dynatracs, but I would rather build it myself and get the same results. Yea I won't have the same amount of ground clearance or the strength, but I live on the east coast, so I'm not going to be going fast enough to wear I would bend a tub or something like you guys on the West coast that like to bomb through the dessert. I'm not saying I can't break the junkyards, but I highly doubt I will with my driving style

Cool. Let us know how it goes and what you learned. I am sure you will get a lot of interest.

Havoc40

Haha ya I guess that came out wrong...and could be easily misunderstood. I build hot rods. Because of that and what I've done, most of my friends sort of expect me to spend the time/money/effort on a custom set-up with junkyard axles like Grubbicon. I've always preached about enjoying the build of my toys and doing whatever I can to save a buck. Not that I really give a shit about what they think, but they'll be busting my chops for pussing out and taking the easy route lol. I'll definitely be proud to have some Dynatrac's under my rig! They're badass axles!

Last edited:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Question about high vs low pinion: can't you get reverse cut gears in the high pinion so it runs on the strong side?

jeeper52

LOSER
Artec has everything you need in the kits to make everything hook up. Since yours is a 2014, you need the 05+ Superduty axles, the older ones won't work. I'm doing the same swap as Grubbicon. I've called Artec a few times with questions and they have answered every single one and explained it with great detail. Grubbicon is having a little more trouble with his swap because he is changing the suspension. If you plan on keeping the same style suspension (coil springs, etc.) Its just as easy a swap as a PR44 but just with a little more labor on your end. But if you have any questions at all, just call up Artec. But just my .02 I would go with a Sterling 10.5 rear instead of the 14 bolt, the 14 bolt is usually a little on the narrow side, the Sterling is the same length as the Dana 60.

Dont you have to relocate the fuel tank on a 4dr for the sterling so it doesn't hit?

jkwebbie

Dont you have to relocate the fuel tank on a 4dr for the sterling so it doesn't hit?

Well I have a 2 door so lol. But Grubbicon has looked at his and said it isn't bad. I can't remember if he said he's going to replace it or just hit it with a hammer to make room lol

Grubbicon

Well I have a 2 door so lol. But Grubbicon has looked at his and said it isn't bad. I can't remember if he said he's going to replace it or just hit it with a hammer to make room lol

I did take a sledge hammer to it and I believe I made enough room. I look at it as if I mess up the tank oh well it didnt work anyway. A friend also told me that he knows a guy that tried to switch to a 2dr tank (like artec suggests) and it didnt clear that either.

Some of the guys on here get incredibly offended when talking about any axle choice/setup vs dynatrac... Especially junkyards. I for one will be buying a set of dynatracs in the near future because of the reputation and the ability to just simply bolt on. That being said, not everybody has 15plus grand for a down pymt on a jeep let alone axles so to those that are building their own shit I salute you! Good luck and keep us informed:rock:

LasVegasJK

Some of the guys on here get incredibly offended when talking about any axle choice/setup vs dynatrac... Especially junkyards. I for one will be buying a set of dynatracs in the near future because of the reputation and the ability to just simply bolt on. That being said, not everybody has 15plus grand for a down pymt on a jeep let alone axles so to those that are building their own shit I salute you! Good luck and keep us informed:rock:

About the junkyard axles. I don't think it's the 'Dynatrac or nothing' attitude as much as that the ones who push the junkyard units assume everyone has the knowledge and the tools to do those jobs. It's been said " watch a YouTube video and you could do it". Well I've poured concrete for 20+ years. To me, finishing 1,000 square ft of decorative concrete is super easy. But for me to suggest that watching a video could give someone the ability to do what I could do just isn't right.
I would love to build my own axles, but I don't have the knowledge or the right tools. So, like you, I'm gonna leave it to professional axle guys to build for me. Plus, as stated above, I've poured concrete for a long time. My body is broken down, so some stuff I just can't do.

Top Bottom