Any Traditional Archers on WAL?

BamBamDeer

One of my favorite ways to spend a day is to hit the trails in my Jeep stopping every once and a while to stretch my legs and do a little Stump Shooting. Anyone else?

USMC Wrangler

I wouldn't call us archers, but got three of my kids recurves for Christmas. So far we haven't ventured out of the backyard yet.

BamBamDeer

Sounds good to me. Both of my girls have shot since they could walk. My youngest shoots a recurve and my oldest is into longbows like Dad. My Wife shoots a recurve.

It is good family fun. We make our own arrows and I have my range lighted so we can shoot at night.

Your kids will love their recurves.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not yet, but I have been looking at getting into this. Any suggestions for a newb? Something that breaks down and can be put together without a ton of tools?

BamBamDeer

I got my Wife a Samick Sage. About $130.00. It is a 3pc recurve. I was really impressed with the performance and take it out to shoot myself frequently. I think it would make an excellent starter.

USMC Wrangler

Right now just target shooting for family time. The kids like shooting the Henry .22 I bought them a few years ago, but it's a lot more convenient with the bows in the backyard.

BamBamDeer

It's a lot of fun. If you have a place to roam and shoot we have always enjoyed stump shooting. We roam around...pick a clump of dirt or a leaf and everyone takes a shot. Distances are unknown. I hunt a lot and this is my favorite kind of practice. I can always hear the kids saying "let's beat Dad"....and sometimes they do...lol.

I have a shooting range behind my house for our guns. I like 22s too but with the shortage lately...and then the price we shoot more centerfire now. I reload and can load and shoot 38/357 for as cheap or almost as rimfire.

USMC Wrangler

We still need to explore a little more nearby. Just moved back to AZ after living elsewhere for about 11 years. Still getting settled but that's the plan...get out of the backyard. My buddy's wife and son shoot competitively and do some hunting. They just went to Vegas for a comp recently. We've been trying to get our crazy kids schedules to line up so my family and I can learn from them. Other than when I was a Boy Scout many years ago, I have zero experience with a bow. A lot seemed like basic marksmanship but have found a few helpful videos online here and there too.

BamBamDeer

I have been shooting bows since I was 4. I am 50 now. My Dad shot competitive in the 60s. I am still learning....I guess you could say I am a slow learner. ..lol.

You are right about basic marksmanship. Most that become proficient at shooting something can usually learn to shoot others. I stressed Basic Safety real hard with my kids. They started a Hunters Safety Course at 7 yo and attend every year. I want them to hear it from someone other the Dad.

Shooting Disciplines are a great way to spend family time as well as teach responsibility. We live in a rural area...think hillbillies lol....and we have varmints trying to get into the chicken coop, snakes...copperhead are bad here. We have lost a lot of stock to coyotes. We carry something when out on our property.

I am a Retired Police Officer and have taught firearms for years. My favorite shooting sport is Trad Archery. It is laid back. I enjoy making my own arrows. None of my bows are what you would consider fast. My favorite is a Howard Hill Big 5 at 70lbs. I like the longbows. If I were shooting target competition the recurve would be my choice. The extra mass in the riser helps in steadying your aim. My longbows are just smooth for me. I have collected bows all my life. I have some pretty fancy ones but my Hill and a Bear Montana get the most use.

JDDK

Was a passion of mine growing up. My dad had a Howard Hill longbow he hunted with. Just need to find an excuse and cash to pick it up again.

BamBamDeer

Was a passion of mine growing up. My dad had a Howard Hill longbow he hunted with. Just need to find an excuse and cash to pick it up again.

I have a lot of good memories with my Dad growing up. Now I am making them with my Daughters. My Dad can't shoot anymore due to back problems but he loves to see his Grandaughters having fun with it.

Not too many years ago you could find Trad Bows in garage sales for next to nothing. Not so now.

BamBamDeer

This is my Howard Hill Big 5. It is 70# at 28" with a Cocobolo Riser and Bamboo limbs.

The Arrow is Douglas Fir and in the colors of Sallisaw High School. It's also easy to pick up the Orange in flight.

Attachments

• 1454962602538.jpg
    1454962602538.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 49

JKbrick

Switched to traditional about 2 years ago for a new challenge. Have you ever heard of Three Rivers Archery? They are about 30 min from where I live and I think they are pretty big in that market.

BamBamDeer

Switched to traditional about 2 years ago for a new challenge. Have you ever heard of Three Rivers Archery? They are about 30 min from where I live and I think they are pretty big in that market.

I have ordered from them quite a bit. I watch for specials on shafting to make my arrows. They have always been good to deal with. In my area we don't have any shops that Cater to Traditional Archery. I think it would be neat to see their showroom. The staff I have talked to seem pretty knowledgeable.

If you make a trip there let me know how it goes.

BamBamDeer

What set up are you shooting? Do you target shoot, hunt or both?

Top Bottom