Weld on beadlocks

ob_tj

So I am really looking into doing some weld on beadlocks. Just because a good set of beadlocks could run you around 2k or somewhere in that ballpark and i don't have the money to spend right now. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with doing a weld on beadlock kit and how they have held up?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was thinking of doing the weld on route myself back a few years ago. I went to my buddies shop and he said he wouldn't do it for me cause my jeep is a daily. If it wasn't he would have. Ended up going a few other places as well and they said the same thing. Needless to say I saved my money for a set of ATX chamber pro's and have been very happy

Grubbicon

I was thinking of doing the weld on route myself back a few years ago. I went to my buddies shop and he said he wouldn't do it for me cause my jeep is a daily. If it wasn't he would have. Ended up going a few other places as well and they said the same thing. Needless to say I saved my money for a set of ATX chamber pro's and have been very happy

Id agree with this right here. If your Jeep is anymore then a toy Id skip it as well. I have friends that have welded on rock rings but not a true beadlock (these are also pure trail rigs with no tag). You can get a set of raceline steel beadlocks for fairly cheap on Summit Racing. They are probably a bitty iffy for a DD, but Id be more likely to go that route.

Chris99

I have no personal experience, but these were discussed on the high Sierra 4x4 podcast recently (84, tires without wheels). One takeaway was that it could be very difficult to find a shop that would touch them, so balancing could be an issue.

bsimon187

I have a few friends that had weld on rings for beadlocks on their CJ's. If you drove behind them, you could see the wheel riding like it was square. So out of balance and never could get it to balance. I was in the same boat as you, thought about it for a good bit. After seeing that and all the issues they had, I saved up and just bought a set of slabs. Rides great and no complaints.

For a trail rig only- do it.

If you drive it to the store or take your kids anywhere in it - Don't

ob_tj

Id agree with this right here. If your Jeep is anymore then a toy Id skip it as well. I have friends that have welded on rock rings but not a true beadlock (these are also pure trail rigs with no tag). You can get a set of raceline steel beadlocks for fairly cheap on Summit Racing. They are probably a bitty iffy for a DD, but Id be more likely to go that route.

I have no personal experience, but these were discussed on the high Sierra 4x4 podcast recently (84, tires without wheels). One takeaway was that it could be very difficult to find a shop that would touch them, so balancing could be an issue.

I have a few friends that had weld on rings for beadlocks on their CJ's. If you drove behind them, you could see the wheel riding like it was square. So out of balance and never could get it to balance. I was in the same boat as you, thought about it for a good bit. After seeing that and all the issues they had, I saved up and just bought a set of slabs. Rides great and no complaints.

For a trail rig only- do it.

If you drive it to the store or take your kids anywhere in it - Don't

My jeep isn't my only vehicle but living in central california I drive it everywhere around my town. Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'm going to start saving up for slabs and going to run my 15s for a year or two more!

Top Bottom