Tire toss-up

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Ok good! Lol

As for tires don't get the mtr's. I hated my set when I had them. They were super hard to balance and tracked really weird on the road. I only had them off road once so I can't really comment.

I had the same experience with my 35" AND 37" MT/R Kevlars. OP if I were you, I'd avoid them like the plague.

WarriorJeep

The MT/Rs are light but they are awful. Currently I'm running General Grabber Red Letter tires and actually really like them, down side is they are heavy but not nearly as heavy as Nitto TG.

DGP

So I just bought the new DC extreme country tires. I originally had 33" fun country twos and liked them as my commuter tires so i thought I would try out the new model, especially because they were only $250 each for 315/70r17. So far they are riding nice and look pretty aggressive. We will see how they wear and I'll find out how they wheel tomorrow. Wish they would make them in a 37"

Jern26

I had the same experience with my 35" AND 37" MT/R Kevlars. OP if I were you, I'd avoid them like the plague.

The MT/Rs are light but they are awful. Currently I'm running General Grabber Red Letter tires and actually really like them, down side is they are heavy but not nearly as heavy as Nitto TG.

Good deal, if I've figured anything out for sure, it's that mt/r's are out of the decision haha. Thanks guys!!

Slavens

Caught the Bug
If it's any help my Jeeps at ORE right now having 1 year old MTRs taken off and Toyo MTs installed.

Granted I killed the fronts with some damage however they were coming off regardless. Super uneven wear, feathering all over and chucked really bad. My jeep is not a daily driver so there was probably 8,000 miles them. I love the way they look but that's all your paying for.

Bacon

Ppl on this site hate mtrs. You will be hard pressed to find more than a handful of ppl who will recommend them. You will liklely find very few ppl who will recommend any pro comp tire. They just aren't known as being a high quality tire. Toyo m/t's and nitto trail grapplers will get the most votes here. The cooper stt pros look promising, as do the dick cepek extreme countrys. Although a friend of mine recently had a set and he cut one pretty bad pretty easily, and had one huge sidewall bulge on another. I just recently installed bfg krawlers and frickin love them, but they are scary in hard packed snow and ice. Read as many reviews for each tire you are considering. Buy based on what you want and feel the most confident about.

JKStair

+1 for Pro Comp being crappy. I had a brand new set of Pro Comp Extreme MT2s on for a week then went up to Bishop to play around on the fire roads. Left pavement and within 5 miles of very mild terrain had a sidewall puncture.

Colorado2003

I am running 37 Nitto trail Grappler's and love them. Moving up to 40s this summer. I did run 37 MTRs last year and wanted to warn you about them. They SUCK!!! 4 times back to get them Balanced (road force as well). They tracked horrible on the road. I did not mind them on the trail but was aired down to 10. Just my experience but I would look toward Nitto's. I was at a lost with them. Thanks to Discount tire the warrantied them out and got me my Nitto's.

rogerk93

I am running 37 Nitto trail Grappler's and love them. Moving up to 40s this summer. I did run 37 MTRs last year and wanted to warn you about them. They SUCK!!! 4 times back to get them Balanced (road force as well). They tracked horrible on the road. I did not mind them on the trail but was aired down to 10. Just my experience but I would look toward Nitto's. I was at a lost with them. Thanks to Discount tire the warrantied them out and got me my Nitto's.

Everyone who ran the mtr have the same complaint. I was looking into them for a little till I started to read all the negative reviews.

DGP

So I just bought the new DC extreme country tires. I originally had 33" fun country twos and liked them as my commuter tires so i thought I would try out the new model, especially because they were only $250 each for 315/70r17. So far they are riding nice and look pretty aggressive. We will see how they wear and I'll find out how they wheel tomorrow. Wish they would make them in a 37"

Had a chance to play in some rocks yesterday with the extreme country's. I mounted them myself on method bead locks and they balanced pretty easy at my local shop. 10lbs aired down was a little too low but I did get great traction. The tires folded around rocks and surprisingly don't show any rock rash after some serious abuse. They threw the mud pretty quick as well. I aired them up to 14 and found a happy spot. Great tire so far for the price. I'm guessing the price will jump after they've been out a while. For what it's worth these are my commuter tires and my wheeling set is 37" nitto mud terrains.
image.jpg

Cadima

My mtr/k's rode as if they were helical gears the way they shimmied, rode like a bag of rocks with time. Won't use em again. +1 for Toyos

Eezybreezy08

I had 2 sets of mtr/k and they sucked. Took the second set to truly realize. They wear horrible and they are all over the road. I just put nitto trail grap on the wife's jeep and really like them. They are smooth.

Top Bottom