2016 Cherokee Trailhawk

Uncle Jimmy

I've just purchased a brand new TH and my fiancé and I love it! As far as the known issues (recalls) I was told buy Chrysler that most, if not all of them were taken care of for this years line up.... Now on to the fun stuff!

I've read some posts in other forums and articles about doing a lift and mods on the 2016... But I have come too the conclusion that I'm going to be buying a wrangler next year to have a toy to play with.... It won't be a new one, so I'd like to ask what would be a good year to look for?? I've been thinking 2005-2010, would anyone have any other suggestions??

I've kinda figured out what I want to do with it and have a budget in mind with the cost of the wrangler included.

Thanks,
Uncle Jimmy

Update: With 29k on my TH, I'm 4 oil changes in and have yet to have any problems with it on or off road.... I have yet too have any problems with the transmission and it still impresses me everyday!

As for off road I have yet to see any trails in my area that I can not tackle and have been following wranglers into some technical areas and came out without a hitch! The off road capability of the Cherokee TH, is best in class that also includes the Range Rover EVO..... The TH, far out paces any competitor in its class without any problems. The 4WD Active Lock system (48:1 low crawl ratio with a mated 9spd) on the TH, is almost bullet proof for just about any trail rated up to 6 (I think the RUBICON TRAIL is rated at 3-7+, some areas at 9) and it has done very well in the Moab area.
And good news as of this post a few companies have a 'lift' for the Cherokee now! All be its not massive but will give you about an extra 2" of lift on a regular Cherokee and about 1" extra on the TH (due to the TH having a factory lift already, this just replaces 'stock' lift giving it an added 1").

The drivability on road is very comfortable for 4, plus gear. So far the fuel mileage is out pacing what the sticker from the EPA had tested at 19/24 with a combined average of 22... but mine has been 23/27, with a combined average according to the trip is 24.7 for the last 7,000+ miles!

The interior of my TH is still holding up very well with the amount of usage it gets, the UCONNECT works great with the system being updated every few months by the dealership.

Over all I would recommend the TH with the 3.2L Penastar, as for the 2.4L Tigershark, not so much..... with the 3.2L at 271hp/239 tourque and the 2.4L at 181hp/179 tourque... it's kinda of a no brainer on that option.

Last edited:

Hobolobo

I've just purchased a brand new TH and my fiancé and I love it! As far as the known issues (recalls) I was told buy Chrysler that most, if not all of them were taken care of for this years line up.... Now on to the fun stuff!

I've read some posts in other forums and articles about doing a lift and mods on the 2016... But I have come too the conclusion that I'm going to be buying a wrangler next year to have a toy to play with.... It won't be a new one, so I'd like to ask what would be a good year to look for?? I've been thinking 2005-2010, would anyone have any other suggestions??

I've kinda figured out what I want to do with it and have a budget in mind with the cost of the wrangler included.

Thanks,
Uncle Jimmy

I would try for 2012+ so you get the 3.6. As far as the Cherokee goes, you can't lift them anyways.

sittingduk

Congrats on the TH! I like it more n more I see one.
But like you mentioned, the recalls and transmission is stopping me from seriously considering one. I wonder if they really fixed it with the 2016 models. Keep us posted about any issues you encounter.

And I have a 2014 wrangler. and I really like the pentastar engine. So 2012+

Napalm

Nice! We just bought a 2016 Limited Cherokee. It is sweet!

Like everyone else has said, spend the coin and go for a 2012 and up. The 3.6L is a great engine!

UGAdudeoo7

I just jumped into the Cherokee TH club as well. It's a great vehicle. Still loving yours? I'm more impressed with it every time I drive it.

Uncle Jimmy

Thanks,
Uncle Jimmy

Update: With 29k on my TH, I'm 4 oil changes in and have yet to have any problems with it on or off road.... I have yet too have any problems with the transmission and it still impresses me everyday!

As for off road I have yet to see any trails in my area that I can not tackle and have been following wranglers into some technical areas and came out without a hitch! The off road capability of the Cherokee TH, is best in class that also includes the Range Rover EVO..... The TH, far out paces any competitor in its class without any problems. The 4WD Active Lock system (48:1 low crawl ratio with a mated 9spd) on the TH, is almost bullet proof for just about any trail rated up to 6 (I think the RUBICON TRAIL is rated at 3-7+, some areas at 9) and it has done very well in the Moab area.
And good news as of this post a few companies have a 'lift' for the Cherokee now! All be its not massive but will give you about an extra 2" of lift on a regular Cherokee and about 1" extra on the TH (due to the TH having a factory lift already, this just replaces 'stock' lift giving it an added 1").

The drivability on road is very comfortable for 4, plus gear. So far the fuel mileage is out pacing what the sticker from the EPA had tested at 19/24 with a combined average of 22... but mine has been 23/27, with a combined average according to the trip is 24.7 for the last 7,000+ miles!

The interior of my TH is still holding up very well with the amount of usage it gets, the UCONNECT works great with the system being updated every few months by the dealership.

Over all I would recommend the TH with the 3.2L Penastar, as for the 2.4L Tigershark, not so much..... with the 3.2L at 271hp/239 tourque and the 2.4L at 181hp/179 tourque... it's kinda of a no brainer on that option.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom