Gutter mount roof rack

DMF

I should have done more research before buying the Thule gutter mount foot packs\roof rack system., but do you guys foresee any issues carrying a 4 gallon rotopax on these gutter mount roof racks? I haven't bought the basket yet but I was going to also get the Thule Moab basket. I only bought it to go do the Mojave trail. Not even sure I need to carry extra gas but I remember reading a thread where some fellow Wayalifers ran out of gas.

Dcdawg

I have gutter mounts and haven't had any issues. That said, haven't taken it to Moab but wouldn't anticipate any major issues. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455407081.157489.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I should have done more research before buying the Thule gutter mount foot packs\roof rack system., but do you guys foresee any issues carrying a 4 gallon rotopax on these gutter mount roof racks? I haven't bought the basket yet but I was going to also get the Thule Moab basket. I only bought it to go do the Mojave trail. Not even sure I need to carry extra gas but I remember reading a thread where some fellow Wayalifers ran out of gas.

Have you mounted the feet yet? I'd love to see a closeup of how well they attach. I've been looking into these as well

I have gutter mounts and haven't had any issues. That said, haven't taken it to Moab but wouldn't anticipate any major issues. View attachment 187722

Is yours the Thule? If not which one is it? Ditto on the install photo - I'd love to see yours esp if its another brand...

DMF

I have gutter mounts and haven't had any issues. That said, haven't taken it to Moab but wouldn't anticipate any major issues. View attachment 187722

Thx DCDawg. I'm not planning on mounting anymore than 50 pounds. Also I'm guessing it's not safe to use the foot pegs with the soft top.

Have you mounted the feet yet? I'd love to see a closeup of how well they attach. I've been looking into these as..

I can get pics for you tomorrow.

Dcdawg

So a few things on mine. When I researched this originally no one seemed to know if you could use the gutters. You would hear people argue both ways. I had a big trail trip coming up in the fall and decided to just try. I don't have a Thule, mine is just a cheap Surco. That said, I think the Thule's will work even better bc of how they latch. On the Surco it's just a bolt clamp with two terrible pieces of rubber that kept coming off. I ended up taking the feet off and rubber dipping them. Took a few coats but it appears to be holding up. As for the weight, I put all my camping gear up there and the Jerry can with no issue. I now have the ARB duel can holder and feel pretty confident it'll hold even on the trail.

I think the biggest reason most don't use the gutters is bc if you do obviously you can't take off your freedom panels. For me this isn't a big deal bc I only have this set up in the fall and winter. Soft top goes on in the spring and I just have to pack lighter for a camping trip. Hope this helps! I'm far from an authority and we surely don't have the trails here in VA like you guys out west but I can tell you what has worked for me.

DMF

Thx DCDawg. Thats the same research I got. A lot of bad reviews from people that never used it. But everyone that had one said it worked great. 'm going to look for a used Thule Moab basket. Hopefully they're easy to find.

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks DCDawg - those pics are great. Those help a lot! I'm driving the Jeep to Moab in July with my wife & 2 daughters. Needless to say, space will be at a premium!

Top Bottom