"Snoopy" - 1946 CJ2A Project

SJ21XDC

Well it looks like the transmission is shot (full of water, sludge and loose syncros) :grayno: I've never done one before but I guess it's time to learn how to rebuild a transmission :eek:
(3-5-16) 6.jpg 011.jpg

StrizzyChris

That thing looks like it's in great shape. From the pictures it looks like surface rust only. Is there much rot that you'll have to deal with or all surface?

StrizzyChris

Long time no see old friend!

Hey Hey! I've been off the grid for a while. I even said farewell to facebook a month or so ago. My wife calls me Jay(Al Bundy on Modern Family) because I'm just an angry old man lol. Not much free time when I'm off from my day job. Still working on new rentals and slum-lording it up. :thumb:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Hey Hey! I've been off the grid for a while. I even said farewell to facebook a month or so ago. My wife calls me Jay(Al Bundy on Modern Family) because I'm just an angry old man lol. Not much free time when I'm off from my day job. Still working on new rentals and slum-lording it up. :thumb:

Hey! Look what the cat drug in! Good to hear from you brother!

WJCO

Meme King

Good to see you back. Nothing wrong with giving up facebook.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I remember back when your wife didn't hold your balls for you.

Jegar

Here's a couple of updates:

The first thing I was going to do when I got it was a tune-up and new carb. Went to pull the plugs and they were so rusted they just disintegrated, so I had to pull the head. View attachment 191776 View attachment 191777

Here's a shot of one of the better plugs.
View attachment 191779

Once I got the head pulled, I had to bust out the porcelain and use an easyout. Number 3 was so bad, I had heat and soak in pb blaster for several days before I could get it to break free.
View attachment 191778

Once I got all the plugs out, I cleaned up the threads, head, block and put everything back together.
View attachment 191780 View attachment 191782

And now for the best part - it started!:yup:

More updates to come.

Awesome!!!

WJCO

Meme King
Not sure how I missed these other build photos. Great thread. I have never seen an engine like this! I've worked on rotary's, diesels, and tons of other shit, but this is new to me. Valves in the block? Where's the cam shaft lol?

Last edited:

Frydaddy

Not sure how I missed these other build photos. Great thread. I have never seen an engine like this! I've worked on rotary's, diesels, and tons of other shit, but this is new to me. Valves in the block? Where's the cam shaft lol?

That's the beauty of the L-134, the engine that won the war. I think it's about two litres, 80 horse, and up to 20 mpg cruising. It sips gas and runs forever on the ten gallon tank under the driver's seat. They put it there during the war to minimize the "kill zone" in vehicles. The valve cover is under the headers. And the exhaust header has a temperature valve that opens when cold to heat the intake header and carb. The later civilian engines were called "hurricane" engines. Later replaced with inline sixes in trucks and the now very rare flathead V-8. These little 4 bangers have an amazing power band when pared with the T-90 trans and Spicer T-80? Transfer case, and could "climb a tree" in low range.

Picked up a non-running 1946 Willys to mess with last month and have been encouraged to start a thread. I will try to update the progress until completion or it gets to be to much and I sell it :) Anyway here are a few pictures of it when I picked it up.

View attachment 191201 View attachment 191202 View attachment 191203 View attachment 191204 View attachment 191205 View attachment 191206 View attachment 191207

Congrats. I picked me up this 47 this last weekend. Working on the wheel bearings right now and some other minor things. Other than that it's pretty much in excellent condition. Only 1750 original miles on it.

Attachments

• 1464260839187.jpg
    1464260839187.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 1464260852243.jpg
    1464260852243.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1464260864129.jpg
    1464260864129.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
  • 1464260877041.jpg
    1464260877041.jpg