Rear Axle for TJ

Draconianwinter

Because I don't want to do an 8.8 conversion, I've been playing with different options with Dynatrac and Dana axles, and my wife started asking me why I'd want to spend such huge amounts of money on "an old jeep". LOL

Now, I'm truly experiencing first world problems, because she asked me if I'd consider buying a brand new Jeep of my choosing...

We'll see where this leads, but I'm actually torn about that. I love the TJ, but she hates riding in it because it's loud, rough and isn't a 4 door.

Let her see what the cost of a 4 door rubi is and see if she still feels the same way. If she does them congrats on a 4dr rubi lol

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Let her see what the cost of a 4 door rubi is and see if she still feels the same way. If she does them congrats on a 4dr rubi lol

I don't always have time to post on here, and I tend to lurk reading what has gone right and what has gone wrong with others, but... I actually put a stop to the idea of buying a Rubicon. We could swing it with both payments on the Jeep and the upgraded parts. I showed her what the cost of the Jeep payments would be and she didn't blink (I kept the price under $45k, but just barely). But, my love for my TJ is growing stronger, even though I haven't wrenched on it except for some basic maintenance. Plus, she went out and bought herself a new car, after saying she didn't want one for the past ten years. Public transportation is really cheap and easy, but she was tiring of it and bought her own car. So, when we go places together, I end up driving her wheels, even though I hate the car.

Everything she complains about my TJ is what I love about it. The noise, the rough ride, the Spartan interior, the military heritage of the body, etc. I'm back to my roots with this Jeep. I grew up learning to drive a VW dune buggy, a Model A Ford, my dad's Willys. And going out on my own, I kept that up for a lot of years with a multitude of vehicles I took off road, whether they were built for it or not. Moving to the city made me sell off a lot of my toys. And taking on our blended family meant putting stuff on the back burner. But there's nothing holding me back from changing my mind down the road and buying a JKU and still keeping the TJ. The short wheel base and maneuverability are why a lot of people in urban areas seem to buy 2 door jeeps.

WJCO

Meme King
I don't always have time to post on here, and I tend to lurk reading what has gone right and what has gone wrong with others, but... I actually put a stop to the idea of buying a Rubicon. We could swing it with both payments on the Jeep and the upgraded parts. I showed her what the cost of the Jeep payments would be and she didn't blink (I kept the price under $45k, but just barely). But, my love for my TJ is growing stronger, even though I haven't wrenched on it except for some basic maintenance. Plus, she went out and bought herself a new car, after saying she didn't want one for the past ten years. Public transportation is really cheap and easy, but she was tiring of it and bought her own car. So, when we go places together, I end up driving her wheels, even though I hate the car.

Everything she complains about my TJ is what I love about it. The noise, the rough ride, the Spartan interior, the military heritage of the body, etc. I'm back to my roots with this Jeep. I grew up learning to drive a VW dune buggy, a Model A Ford, my dad's Willys. And going out on my own, I kept that up for a lot of years with a multitude of vehicles I took off road, whether they were built for it or not. Moving to the city made me sell off a lot of my toys. And taking on our blended family meant putting stuff on the back burner. But there's nothing holding me back from changing my mind down the road and buying a JKU and still keeping the TJ. The short wheel base and maneuverability are why a lot of people in urban areas seem to buy 2 door jeeps.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Not a wrangler but we love the WJ. We're getting ready to buy a JK but the WJ is still a keeper. I've spent so much time and money on this thing and absolutely love it. We waited a good 6 years to buy the jk but decided it was time.

geberhard

Douchebag
The TJ and WJ (ZJ's as well) are great platforms and awesome rigs. I feel your pain, specially after having invested blood, sweat and tears it is hard to say goodbye to a rig. I normally keep my Jeeps for a while, and was hard to let my previous baby go and recently the second baby, specially as they were around for longer than the real babies hehe :)

But you get to a point where you have to ask yourself what do you want to do next, and how about let someone else enjoy your project and start over. I am enjoying the JK, and although it is still not as capable as the TJ was, it is a fun Jeep and dialy driver the whole family has been enjoying. I almost wish I had done it sooner :)

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I'm kinda in the same boat. Not a wrangler but we love the WJ. We're getting ready to buy a JK but the WJ is still a keeper. I've spent so much time and money on this thing and absolutely love it. We waited a good 6 years to buy the jk but decided it was time.

Trust me... I'm still looking at products for the JK and figuring out what works best, what wouldn't and playing with the possibilities. The thing is, I get to read about Eddie and Cindy doing it all and cheering them on, or each build thread that's started here. The two door is impractical for me in so many ways, while the four door is too, for other reasons. Yet, it's all about what we make of what we have.

I'm just really pleased with me finding my way back into the CJ/Wrangler community. I had started out looking for another short bed, American made, pick up truck when I happened on to the Keep it Tight video. That led down theYoutube rabbit hole, with videos of Land Rovers, Hummers, old J40s and you name it. And I kept coming back to the Jeep videos, and especially Wayalife produced ones. The Jeeps come across as the most versatile to modify. The camaraderie is unmistakable. And the fun factor is immeasurable.

And, whatever you do with your current rig, whether you keep it or move on, there's no wrong thing to do. Except buy an effing hybrid. That would be wrong.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I almost didn't replace the Jeep but after driving around in a rental car for a month, I decided to replace the Jeep. I still think I bit off more than I can chew getting the 4DR instead of another 2DR and if I could turn back time, I would not have gotten white. I thought I wanted white when I got my first Jeep and this was my chance but nah.

WJCO

Meme King
I almost didn't replace the Jeep but after driving around in a rental car for a month, I decided to replace the Jeep. I still think I bit off more than I can chew getting the 4DR instead of another 2DR and if I could turn back time, I would not have gotten white. I thought I wanted white when I got my first Jeep and this was my chance but nah.

Why don't you like the white? That's what we're looking at.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Why don't you like the white? That's what we're looking at.

I think it's just me. It looks great when it's clean but it seems that Chrysler skimps when they paint white Jeeps as oppose to color Jeeps. Seems like white is harder to keep clean. You can see imperfections too well as opposed to the red one I had. I probably should have gotten the black but that would have been really harder to clean. I was looking for a jeep without a lot of extras but didn't have the time to wait for a customer built one from the factory. I've seen some great looking white ones on here. I think I'll put more black accents on it and that will help me like it more.

Top Bottom