Cut Fender Thread

JKBlackie

Just take your time and measure. That rasp tool works great and if you use a utility knife, be sure to have a fresh blade. Here are some close ups. About as straight as I can get it. And I wouldn't try a utility knife on anything but straight cuts.

Looks straight as an arrow, Olram! I've gone back and forth deciding whether I want to do it or not while I'm on stock Rubi takeoff tires. But your rig makes it look good so I may do it!

Moparman

What tool(s) is everyone using to cut the fenders for such smooth cuts.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used a cut off wheel on my die grinder and marked it all off with fine line tape. Then I used an angle grinder with a sanding disk to get it straight. Measure twice and cut once though. Lol. I did find out the hard way, don't wear flip flops while doing it. Melted plastic will burn the shit out of your toes.

rinkishjk

What tool(s) is everyone using to cut the fenders for such smooth cuts.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used an air powered saw I got from Harbor freight on the cheap. Worked great. Used a file to smooth the edge then apply door edge trim.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I finally got around to replacing my Bushwacker pocket style fenders for some stock fenders that i cut. i like how they turned out. just need to get some door trim on them now.

here is before:
photo (9).JPG

here is after:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411176018.012045.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411176171.926720.jpg

hbkid22

I did not read through the whole thread so if I am asking a question someone else did sorry......

What is the best paint to use to repaint the wheel well? I have a silver jeep and when I cut the fenders I will want to paint that wheel wells to clean it up.....

SaddleTramp

I did not read through the whole thread so if I am asking a question someone else did sorry......

What is the best paint to use to repaint the wheel well? I have a silver jeep and when I cut the fenders I will want to paint that wheel wells to clean it up.....

I think most just use a can of rustoleum. As long as you prep it good, shouldn't take anything special. I used this, have used it in the past for other projects, but probably doesn't offer anything over any other decent rattle can.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EM019O?pc_redir=1411220464&robot_redir=1

JAGS

Hooked
I thought most used rustoleum but wanted to double check....THanks.

Washed wells with soap and water and then cleaned with simple green. Probably not necessary, but I hit the area with some auto primer I already had before doing the rustoleum. Thought it might help with adhesion. Tow coats of black and it's held up very well so far.

I would not recommend using anything textured as it will lead to more dirt and mud sticking to the surface and harder to clean out.

hbkid22

Washed wells with soap and water and then cleaned with simple green. Probably not necessary, but I hit the area with some auto primer I already had before doing the rustoleum. Thought it might help with adhesion. Tow coats of black and it's held up very well so far.

I would not recommend using anything textured as it will lead to more dirt and mud sticking to the surface and harder to clean out.

Does it matter if its the high heat or regular? I might also paint the brake calipers so I was going to get the high heat paint and assume it wont hurt?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Does it matter if its the high heat or regular? I might also paint the brake calipers so I was going to get the high heat paint and assume it wont hurt?

no it doesnt matter. i used high heat chassie and roll bar paint for mine.

castaway

Just did mine today

So I will be cutting my fenders in the next month (after snorkels gets lifted) and wanted to get some ideas on how you guys have yours lined up. I have seen some in person but I figured this would help others as well. So post them up!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Whoops iPad was upside down :crazyeyes:

SavageMonkey

If there is anyone in the Albany NY area that has the ability to cut fenders please let me know. I'm willing to travel a bit and provide compensation. Please PM me...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Aedawsey

Anyone in Riverview Florida who wants to help me cut mine, afraid to go at it alone. It needs to be done I just want someone to help me with a little experience working the the jk. Please let me know guys.

AlStew

Just cut mine today. Thanks for the write up Eddie. And thanks for everyone posting their pics so I could get an idea of what I wanted.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416099942.999596.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416099952.415263.jpg

JEEP FAM

Cut mine with a jig saw while still mounted.

Sent from my XT1030 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1417392740031.jpg
    1417392740031.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 516
Top Bottom